PDA

View Full Version : Cashier Problems

Reghan
February 19th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Where are all of my retail workers at? Let's complain about our customers!

I work at a gas station and a Dollar Tree so I have plenty of stories.

I'll just give you one example:

I had a customer ask me, "Are You Pregnant?"

I looked at her and responded with, "Not Unless I'm The Virgin Mary."

WTH is wrong with people?

Share your stories here!

And if you need help/advice on dealing with customers, I'm here to help!

Thunderstorm
February 19th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Once I had a man who said "these bags really can't hold much."
I said, sincerely, "I'm sorry."
He then snaps at me and says "NO I wasn't talking to you I was just stating a fact!"
Like okay then don't talk to yourself out loud.

Reghan
February 19th, 2016, 09:26 PM
People complain about Dollar Tree bags all the time and I'm like, "You do realize this is the Dollar Tree right?"

Mars
February 19th, 2016, 09:32 PM
The hell is dollar tree...

Uniquemind
February 19th, 2016, 11:07 PM
I've been in a line where a customer ahead of me has been well...wildly upset.

At the end of all things though, people complain usually because they haven't mastered the virtue of patience, or aren't reading what they are buying or where they choose to shop.

I'm curious to know if shoppers in other countries that don't have individualistic cultures, have the same kind of boisterous attitude that they do in the USA or UK or Europe basically.

Reghan
February 19th, 2016, 11:10 PM
The hell is dollar tree...

https://www.dollartree.com/index.jsp This amazing store where everything is $1

Vlerchan
February 20th, 2016, 12:12 AM
I worked in a retail bank last Summer. People used to get pretty agitated about their accounts. Perhaps one screamer per day.

I guess the worst I ever had was a woman living in Jamaica. She'd moved their without making an effort to change her address. Her debit card was cancelled because the bank was rolling out contactless cards in-line with VISA recommendations. She calls up and explains that her card had stopped working. I can't send cards out to foreign states unless the customer has gone into the bank and registered their foreign address.

Understandably she was pretty mad. I started suggesting alternatives. I could send it to friends and they could mail it out. If she had a Jamaican account we could attempt to get cash transferred. Mail takes a month and setting up a Jamaican account a fortnight. She spends the next 5 - say - minutes shouting at me. Tells me that I should have been keeping track of her spending patterns and known. It escalates to my manager - then his manager: then his manager. I'm just standing there for 30 minutes then.

Last I'd heard was that it had gotten escalated to regional management.

Moral of the story is if you decide to move half way around the world please inform your bank so some poor sod like me doesn't have to spend half his lunch break on the phone taking your shit.

---

In general though staff took a lot of shit. High-value customers - rich people - tended to be the worst and I lost count of the amount of snide remarks made about my intelligence.

I was once told I liked to stand on the little people by someone with a hundred thousand or so in his savings account.

Uniquemind
February 20th, 2016, 12:46 AM
I worked in a retail bank last Summer. People used to get pretty agitated about their accounts. Perhaps one screamer per day.

I guess the worst I ever had was a woman living in Jamaica. She'd moved their without making an effort to change her address. Her debit card was cancelled because the bank was rolling out contactless cards in-line with VISA recommendations. She calls up and explains that her card had stopped working. I can't send cards out to foreign states unless the customer has gone into the bank and registered their foreign address.

Understandably she was pretty mad. I started suggesting alternatives. I could send it to friends and they could mail it out. If she had a Jamaican account we could attempt to get cash transferred. Mail takes a month and setting up a Jamaican account a fortnight. She spends the next 5 - say - minutes shouting at me. Tells me that I should have been keeping track of her spending patterns and known. It escalates to my manager - then his manager: then his manager. I'm just standing there for 30 minutes then.

Last I'd heard was that it had gotten escalated to regional management.

Moral of the story is if you decide to move half way around the world please inform your bank so some poor sod like me doesn't have to spend half his lunch break on the phone taking your shit.

---

In general though staff took a lot of shit. High-value customers - rich people - tended to be the worst and I lost count of the amount of snide remarks made about my intelligence.

I was once told I liked to stand on the little people by someone with a hundred thousand or so in his savings account.

Yeah social darwinism is really credible isn't it (sarcasm).

People like that are just mad at themselves though, and they just don't want to take responsibility for their own actions. As soon as someone starts screaming at me I just put the phone down and let them monologue, I will do this at a job too if I'm ever in your position.

The customer is not always right, you just want their money, not lose your sense of hearing.

Reghan
February 20th, 2016, 12:55 AM
I get to deal with customers in 7 hours. I think I might put a sign that says, "It's my birthday, be nice to me!" HAHA

Vlerchan
February 20th, 2016, 01:01 AM
As soon as someone starts screaming at me I just put the phone down and let them monologue, I will do this at a job too if I'm ever in your position.
We could hang up if they got swore at us more than three times provided warning was offered. Though the one time I did that was when the customer failed security and there wasn't actually anything more I could help them with. Otherwise I had cases where someone would use the word 'fuck' at me 30-odd times - I counted - and I just kept going with the call.

You get used to it honestly and then it becomes something to laugh about with your friends at the weekend.

The customer is not always right, you just want their money, not lose your sense of hearing.
This reminds me of another story.

I once had an older man fail security and then shout at me because I wouldn't let him access his account over the telephone. He demanded to know whether I thought the customer was always right because that's how it had been in his day.

I responded with something like: "See, unfortunately, without clearing security we can't determine whether you're the actual customer or not. You'll just have to come into the branch and we can help you out here". Or something to that effect.

That formed the basis of my first official report. He got pretty angry.

Judean Zealot
February 20th, 2016, 02:34 AM
Lol @ this thread. I don't have any stories of this sort, but I gotta say, the OP takes the cake. :D

phuckphace
February 20th, 2016, 04:38 AM
Oh boy.

- a woman who looked like a cross between a squirrel, a toad and a trout rushed in all breathless with $1000 in cash. she needed a Western Union money transfer RIGHT NOW in order to collect her inheritance from a Nigerian prince. there was a big sign up saying "Sorry, Western Union is out of order" and after I handed her a WU pamphlet warning about foreign scams, she got steaming mad. "OH THAT'S FUCKIN BULLSHIT WHERE'S YOUR FUCKIN MANAGER??" the manager was of course unable to talk any sense into her and she stormed out screaming "I'LL JUST GO SOMEWHERE ELSE THEN!" no word if Crown Prince Umbangaranga kept his end of the bargain.

- numerous staggering drunks turned away for trying to purchase alcohol while intoxicated. at least a couple of them had piss stains on their jeans crotch. they'll scream and slur profanity while blinking stupidly, which is never a good idea in public (especially if there's a cop standing in line behind you. how convenient!)

- some old guy tried to make a purchase with a check and the register prompted him for his driver's license. he got mad and snarled "WELL I AIN'T GIVIN IT TO YA. ASKIN FOR MY PERS'NL INFORMATION, WELL IT AIN'T NONE OF YER DAMN BUSINESS!" (dude looked like Herbert from Family Guy)

- another trout-faced woman brought up a few items with coupons on them, but they were expired and didn't work. she demanded a store credit for "wasting her time" and when the 20-something assistant manager refused, she flung the items in his face and flipped him off. total combined coupon value: $1.75.

- a kid of about 12 was buying condoms (P101 spotted) and in a cruel twist of fate, his dad happened to come in for a propane bottle exchange and caught him. he tore the kid a new asshole and then lit into the manager on duty for allowing underage kids to buy condoms. the manager tried to explain that Home Office sets the rules and they can't make that kind of change at store level. "I CAN'T FUCKIN BELIEVE THIS, Y'ALL OUGHTTA BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES. NEVER SHOPPING HERE AGAIN!!"

- a monstrously fat guy weighing no less than 600 lbs plunked himself down into a MartKart and made it about 50 ft before the poor thing began to groan and creak, making a noise not unlike jamming a steel rebar into an electric pencil sharpener. it tried its damnedest but it was no match for the 1 billion solar masses bearing down on it. the guy became extremely irate and snarled at us "Y'ALL NEED TO INVEST IN BETTER SCOOTERS THIS PIECE OF SHIT JUST FUCKIN DIED ON ME!" :lol3: :lol3:

Reghan
February 20th, 2016, 05:51 AM
Oh my gosh haha! The kid buying the condoms LOL

I've had people get all pissed off because I ask for ID and then I check it and they're not even underage! If you're not hiding anything than why are you getting all defensive and weird? I don't understand people haha

Endeavour
February 20th, 2016, 06:41 AM

We have poundland here in the UK, where everything is 1. One time an elderly woman in front of me in the queue turned round and said to me "do you know how much these are?" like seriously,, do you know what shop you are in?

Reghan
February 20th, 2016, 06:48 AM
OMG people ask me all the time haha. "How much is this?"

Same price as everything else in the store.

Jinglebottom
February 20th, 2016, 06:57 AM
When I'm shopping at Gap, people will occasionally ask me about the price of something just because I'm wearing a Gap hoodie, so they automatically assume I'm an employee there or something lol.

Uniquemind
February 20th, 2016, 03:26 PM
We could hang up if they got swore at us more than three times provided warning was offered. Though the one time I did that was when the customer failed security and there wasn't actually anything more I could help them with. Otherwise I had cases where someone would use the word 'fuck' at me 30-odd times - I counted - and I just kept going with the call.

You get used to it honestly and then it becomes something to laugh about with your friends at the weekend.

This reminds me of another story.

I once had an older man fail security and then shout at me because I wouldn't let him access his account over the telephone. He demanded to know whether I thought the customer was always right because that's how it had been in his day.

I responded with something like: "See, unfortunately, without clearing security we can't determine whether you're the actual customer or not. You'll just have to come into the branch and we can help you out here". Or something to that effect.

That formed the basis of my first official report. He got pretty angry.

Wait you for written up for THAT!?

Crap to think I'll have to take a job like this in 3ish years to help pay for college oh man I don't want to go into this stary-eyed and naive.

Vlerchan
February 20th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Wait you for written up for THAT!?

Crap to think I'll have to take a job like this in 3ish years to help pay for college oh man I don't want to go into this stary-eyed and naive.
I should have clarified. I had an official report wrote up and then it came to my team leader and she basically tossed it out as spurious. I'm not sure if it's the norm in other sectors but it seemed to me like complaints weren't uncommon and most of them stemmed from people's own sense of entitlement.

Though just be professional and come off as friendly and it's fine. Most people don't want trouble.

numerous staggering drunks turned away for trying to purchase alcohol while intoxicated.
I've heard worse from a friend. He works in a rural gas station. One day a man came in and paid for his petrol (gas). He was shit-faced drunk. Before he could really react to the transaction the guy had handed him the cash and then started to head out. This left him in an awkward situation. He didn't know if what he'd done was legal or not but he couldn't leave to head out after him because there was other people in the shop and he was working alone.

Luckily someone must have spotted he was worried because he came up and was like: "don't worry I'll call his family and make sure he gets home safe".

Uniquemind
February 20th, 2016, 03:57 PM
You can't help stupid is the moral lesson of this thread.

Sometimes your also conscience free of any guilt or association with the actions of another person.

SethfromMI
February 20th, 2016, 04:58 PM
I get blamed sometimes when something is not available in their size or a certain shade of color.

Uniquemind
February 21st, 2016, 02:43 AM
I get blamed sometimes when something is not available in their size or a certain shade of color.

They know online retail exists right? Like if you don't have it, go somewhere else...simple.

Reghan
February 21st, 2016, 04:18 AM
I have a story to share from today, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow when my brain isn't mush zzzzzzz

Uniquemind
February 21st, 2016, 05:29 AM
I think corporate entities are really to blame though, for all the profit they make I don't think they create enough minimum paying jobs that actually are the face of the company and or help clean the place up.

Reghan
February 21st, 2016, 07:37 PM
Regular customer: "hey, what's up? How are you?"
Me: "I'm good, turned 19 today!"
Customer: "congrats!"
Me: "Thanks I worked hard to get older."

LOL

PinkFloyd
February 21st, 2016, 09:04 PM
Okay, so I work at an OfficeMax in the overly polite state, Minnesota. Overall, people are nice. I only come in contact with like one or two rude people if I work a 25 hour week. I do have one story though:

A woman came to the front where I was located and said "Excuse me, you don't have the size TV I want. The biggest size you have is 27 inches. I want a Vizio and all you have for brands is HP, Samsung, and Dell." I explained to her that the screens she was looking at were computer Monitors and that we don't sell TVs. She then got upset and demanded a manager. Under special circumstances, I was the floor manager that night so I got to tell her "I am the manager." After that, she just said sorry and left. It was pretty amusing. :lol:

thegreatgatz
February 21st, 2016, 09:14 PM
If I had a nickel for every dolt who came into my former workplace

Reghan
February 24th, 2016, 02:00 AM
okay, so i work at an officemax in the overly polite state, minnesota. Overall, people are nice. I only come in contact with like one or two rude people if i work a 25 hour week. I do have one story though:

A woman came to the front where i was located and said "excuse me, you don't have the size tv i want. The biggest size you have is 27 inches. I want a vizio and all you have for brands is hp, samsung, and dell." i explained to her that the screens she was looking at were computer monitors and that we don't sell tvs. She then got upset and demanded a manager. Under special circumstances, i was the floor manager that night so i got to tell her "i am the manager." after that, she just said sorry and left. It was pretty amusing. :lol:
hahaha gold

When you often find yourself hanging out at your place of work, even when you're NOT working..

ethan-s
February 27th, 2016, 10:17 AM

around here it is called dollar general, the amazing store were everything is anything but a buck an item. (more like 99 cents or 5 bucks.) LOL:metal:

my story is this;

our sign is only one-sided. the lady pulled in and said 'i couldnt find this place very well. you should get a better sign that faces both ways.' signs are not cheap, so that is not gonna happen. we terminated that persons account (the PC way of saying it is, we fired the customer lol) because they were so snotty and mean and being a #@$ in general.

phuckphace
February 28th, 2016, 10:33 AM
more?

- an irate woman told us off after some douchebag smashed her car window and nabbed her purse out of it. apparently it's our fault that we don't have parking lot patrol with the authority to physically detain burglars. of course we called the cops to report the getaway vehicle's tag number but goddamn she wouldn't shut the fuck up about it. "I outta be able to come in and shop and not have to deal with this!!! I've never had this happen before!!!" she even demanded that the company reimburse her for her stolen cash and iPhone if the cops weren't able to get it back :lol3: (this just happened last night)

- getting screamed at by over 9000 platinum-mad lumpenproles when the system screws up on Welfare Day. the authentication link between the store and the welfare office occasionally goes down, leaving the lumpen unable to use their food stamp cards. having items flung into your face along with a stream of bellowed profanity is the usual reaction. lots of Mountain Dew 24-packs and cheesecakes get returned to the shelves afterwards.

- some guy brought in a giant whiskey jug full of change to count in the coin-counting machine with a ton of junk like paperclips, hairpins and button batteries mixed in. of course the machine jammed about halfway through and went into Out of Order mode. we explained that the CoinStar maintenance guy would have to come in and fix it, and we could take his phone number to notify him as soon as it was fixed. his response was "GODDAMN IT, EVERY TIME I COME IN HERE I GET FUCKED OVER, SON OF A BITCH!" but it was cool cuz after he stormed out I found a couple of silver dimes from his jug in the "Rejected" tray. thanks for shopping with us, SUCKER!

- every so often a customer's credit or debit card gets declined by their bank, and of course we get the blame. INSUFFICIENT FUNDS is a surefire way to get them steamed (blaming us is more convenient than looking like a dumbass who can't manage a checking account). "Oh WHATEVER I've got $5,000 in there, this is BULLSHIT!" this is an exact quote from yet another bipedal trout - had five grand but couldn't afford a bra or a shirt without holes and yellow stains :lol3:

- "BUT THE OTHER [company] LET ME DO IT!!!" - it's become a running joke amongst the employees that there exists somewhere a magical location of ours where company policy does not apply and anything goes. "BUT I WAS JUST UP AT THE OTHER STORE ON BURGER BLVD. AND THEY DO IT FOR ME ALL THE TIME!!!" I also hear they sell alcohol 24/7 without ID and charge zero dollars for all their products too.

- people getting offended when a cashier marks a large bill with a counterfeit detector pen and/or holds it up to the light to check the watermark. "OH COME ON I JUST GOT IT FROM THE BANK DO I LOOK LIKE SOME CRIMINAL TO YOU??" I was standing in line to buy my lunch when this happened the other day - you'd think people with wads of Benjis to blow wouldn't be so petty, but you'd be wrong.

ethan-s
March 4th, 2016, 01:13 PM
keep 'em coming, these are great!

Vlerchan
March 5th, 2016, 03:22 PM
[...] you'd think people with wads of Benjis to blow wouldn't be so petty, but you'd be wrong.
I once had someone - who was decently well-off - make me run around for 40 minutes so he could be refunded 2euro. It turned out to be the fault of his mobile operator but I put in a request to get the refund just so he'd stop bothering me.

---

I had a customer once that called in to complain about the repayments on some loan he'd taken out. The interest had gone up and the term had been extended. Before I could tell him that was normal he demanded I tell him what interested he had paid so far. I told him it was reported in his statements - and I didn't have the net in front of me. He told me he'd lost his statements - who loses the statement for the loan account?! - and didn't want me to send more out: demanded I add it all up and call him back.

In the end I had to sit their for 45 minutes adding up how much he'd paid. He waited on hold because I couldn't get permission to do it otherwise. He continued to complain when I got back onto the phone. It was awful.

INSUFFICIENT FUNDS is a surefire way to get them steamed (blaming us is more convenient than looking like a dumbass who can't manage a checking account).
In fairness there's a half-dozen reasons someone's card can be rejected. Most of the time for me [viewing others - editing with the next sentence in mind] it was because there was a security watch on a card. Protip here: don't buy your sex toys from stores based in weird countries with names you probably can't spell [though more disturbing was the guy who gambled away about half his income a week].

I've had the same people call into the bank and scream down the phone at me for personally embarrassing them in front of the whole store /:.

phuckphace
March 5th, 2016, 10:04 PM
In fairness there's a half-dozen reasons someone's card can be rejected.

true, and to that end there are about a half-dozen different error messages that can pop up. a security hold will generate a "Declined: Error Code 1234" or "Do Not Honor", which generally doesn't provoke anybody. well...

sometime last year several banks made a change where someone with a debit card was required to enter their PIN (prior to that you could choose to run it as credit by not entering your PIN) so obviously the change was to enhance security. apparently, a lot of people were so used to using the "credit" option that they forgot their PIN and get super annoyed when it comes back with "Do Not Honor." I had one guy roll his eyes in a huge circle and then step aside to call his girlfriend so she could look up the PIN, and then he wrote the PIN on the back of the card with a Sharpie :lol3:

the newest cards have an EMV chip which is more secure, but has drawbacks of its own. I've had a fair few customers with newly issued cards that were already worn out and caked with dirt, and the metal contact over the chip was rubbed off to the point where the card reader wouldn't take it. "you might be a redneck if your credit card is as dirty as you are." -Jeff Foxworthy

ImCoolBeans
March 5th, 2016, 11:22 PM
I'm a bookkeeper in a supermarket, so I work at the courtesy desk, where all of the crazies come to flip out.

Three weeks ago a woman came in and successfully stole $350 of beauty products off of the shelves and called the store about two hours later in hysterics asking to speak to a manager. The store's general manager picked up and she told him that her daughter had been killed in a motor vehicle accident on the highway last week and she had bought her all of these beauty products to bring back with her to college, and she couldn't bear to have them in her house any more and she wanted to get a refund. We were all kind of taken back by the situation and I was pretty suspicious off the bat. My manager, being him in all of his glory, told me that I was to do the return and give her cash for it rather than a store credit. I gave her $350 dollars in cash, she had no receipt, and she was hysterically crying and telling me the story for about 15 minutes while I was awkwardly standing there like uh... I'm really sorry...

About a half hour later our grocery manager figured out that we were missing all of the products from our inventory without any record of sales, so we checked the cameras and sure enough she hit us earlier that morning. I called all of the stores in the chain, in the general area, and warned them about her. Good thing I did because the next morning she called the store two towns over and tried to pull the same shit on them, only this time the cops were waiting for her when she got there. She was also in possession of crack when they arrested her.

Fast forward to yesterday, I go into work and find a memo that came from our loss prevention department saying that she got arrested AGAIN trying to pull the same exact scam, with the same exact story, in a CVS one town over. People are unbelievable.

phuckphace
March 6th, 2016, 12:54 AM
lol ImCoolBeans ye olde woman in tears ploy, unfortunately for them I'm immune to their saggy-titted wiles (why is it always the halibut-ugly ones who steal makeup?)

Vlerchan
March 6th, 2016, 08:55 AM
true, and to that end there are about a half-dozen different error messages that can pop up. a security hold will generate a "Declined: Error Code 1234" or "Do Not Honor", which generally doesn't provoke anybody. well...
Either this doesn't occur in Ireland or cashiers never inform them. We'd get so many people demanding to know what had happened with all their money when it had been some sort of unprompted error.

sometime last year several banks made a change where someone with a debit card was required to enter their PIN (prior to that you could choose to run it as credit by not entering your PIN) so obviously the change was to enhance security.
In Ireland the opposite happened. You could pay contactless up to 15euro without needing to enter a pin. People went nuts about it. Like I had to deal with multiple account closures over it - Even though our competitors were doing the same thing.

Looks like you can't please anyone.

Uniquemind
March 6th, 2016, 10:07 PM
I'm a bookkeeper in a supermarket, so I work at the courtesy desk, where all of the crazies come to flip out.

Three weeks ago a woman came in and successfully stole $350 of beauty products off of the shelves and called the store about two hours later in hysterics asking to speak to a manager. The store's general manager picked up and she told him that her daughter had been killed in a motor vehicle accident on the highway last week and she had bought her all of these beauty products to bring back with her to college, and she couldn't bear to have them in her house any more and she wanted to get a refund. We were all kind of taken back by the situation and I was pretty suspicious off the bat. My manager, being him in all of his glory, told me that I was to do the return and give her cash for it rather than a store credit. I gave her $350 dollars in cash, she had no receipt, and she was hysterically crying and telling me the story for about 15 minutes while I was awkwardly standing there like uh... I'm really sorry...

About a half hour later our grocery manager figured out that we were missing all of the products from our inventory without any record of sales, so we checked the cameras and sure enough she hit us earlier that morning. I called all of the stores in the chain, in the general area, and warned them about her. Good thing I did because the next morning she called the store two towns over and tried to pull the same shit on them, only this time the cops were waiting for her when she got there. She was also in possession of crack when they arrested her.

Fast forward to yesterday, I go into work and find a memo that came from our loss prevention department saying that she got arrested AGAIN trying to pull the same exact scam, with the same exact story, in a CVS one town over. People are unbelievable.

It's people that do stuff like that that makes me not respond to human emotion and prefer logic.

To be honest it's why I don't really give human emotions too much merit in the realm of truth, or feelings are leading you to the truth kinda life philosophy.

If I were in your shoes I would be extremely tempted to say "people die, I didn't cause that, I need proof of purchase for a cash refund; it's policy".

Or just return it, have management work with asset losses/protection division, and let them handle it.

I imagine your manager got in trouble then for allowing that to be a cash refund?

phuckphace
March 7th, 2016, 03:27 AM
speaking of scams, I've got another doozy which just happened the other day. it's getting to the point where I'm about to ask the boss man to get me away from anything that involves handling money - too much drama.

every now and then some scam artists will call up the store and pretend to be the district manager calling from home office. they'll claim there's a problem with the gift card authentication system and tell the cashier to load $500 on to a Visa gift card and give them the number. totally obvious and low-effort but employees occasionally fall for it. a couple years ago some scammer actually got away with $50,000 doing this, although he ended up caught by the FBI and sent to ass-pounding prison, or so I've heard (the dark ages prior to me).

it hadn't happened for a while until the other evening right as I was wrapping up my shift and about to leave. since I'm fairly experienced with cashier shit I got paged by the newish supervisor to the front to help him with something, and when I saw him on the phone with a big stack of Visa gift cards I tripped out. this guy is the rather prideful type who doesn't like being wrong, so when I flipped out on him and told him to stop and hang up on the guy, he got really pissed off and tried to argue with me about it. kept insisting that the guy on the phone was the district manager, to which I replied, "yeah dude as if he'd be calling at 10PM" and "if he's just 'testing' it then why 500 dollars and not 1 cent?" I told the guy on the phone to kill himself and hung up (lol). after another employee confirmed that yes, it was a scam and no, the real district manager wouldn't ever tell us to do anything like that, and now with his nascent retail career already in shambles, he stood there and cussed me out to try and save face. I could barely hold back from laughing my ass off at his beet-red face.

conclusion: I stopped it before any of the cards were approved (thus the scam failed) and supervisor got written up for the debacle and swearing at me - he's lucky they didn't just fire him on the spot.

ImCoolBeans
March 7th, 2016, 12:05 PM
It's people that do stuff like that that makes me not respond to human emotion and prefer logic.

To be honest it's why I don't really give human emotions too much merit in the realm of truth, or feelings are leading you to the truth kinda life philosophy.

If I were in your shoes I would be extremely tempted to say "people die, I didn't cause that, I need proof of purchase for a cash refund; it's policy".

Or just return it, have management work with asset losses/protection division, and let them handle it.

I imagine your manager got in trouble then for allowing that to be a cash refund?

If it had been up to me I wouldn't have let that happen. I would have told her to either give us a timeframe of the purchase so we can find the order in our system -- which really isn't hard to do -- or to give us a card number to search for in payment records, or some way to verify it. Because if a local college girl died in such a horrible car accident a week prior I think somebody in the entire store would have heard about it. My manager didn't let us do anything until she left because he was afraid she would call the local news paper and get the story out. Pretty pathetic on his part because we had a few hours in between the time she called and the time she did the return. He let's stuff like this happen pretty often, but this one was pretty bad. I doubt he got in any trouble.

Uniquemind
March 7th, 2016, 05:31 PM
If it had been up to me I wouldn't have let that happen. I would have told her to either give us a timeframe of the purchase so we can find the order in our system -- which really isn't hard to do -- or to give us a card number to search for in payment records, or some way to verify it. Because if a local college girl died in such a horrible car accident a week prior I think somebody in the entire store would have heard about it. My manager didn't let us do anything until she left because he was afraid she would call the local news paper and get the story out. Pretty pathetic on his part because we had a few hours in between the time she called and the time she did the return. He let's stuff like this happen pretty often, but this one was pretty bad. I doubt he got in any trouble.

Well she was eventually caught.
If he did get in trouble...well that's why he has bosses right.

But he's got to remember PR departments exist for a reason.

Irishperson15
March 26th, 2016, 08:52 PM
We had a sale last week and a lady had a lot of items so I asked "would you like a bag?" (We have to charge 5p or 0.05 per bag) and she snapped back, "Well I'm hardly going to carry it all out myself am I?" I politely replied "perhaps you brought a bag with you then?" And she snapped, "well it's in the car sooooo I kind of need one." I mean such a pity nobody informed her she would be making purchases beforehand.