PDA

View Full Version : Windows vs Mac

Endeavour
February 19th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Taking inspiration from the Android vs Apple thread, let's have a Windows vs Mac thread! Vote in the poll and let us know why you use that OS!

http://cdn2.macworld.co.uk/cmsdata/reviews/3591944/os_x_windows_thumb800.jpg

I use Yosemite because I really can't be bothered to upgrade it to El Capitan, plus Yosemite works fine. :)

azure moonstone
February 19th, 2016, 04:58 PM
there's no real reason :lol:

I was given a PC as a gift, and I clicked on the free Windows 10 upgrade. That's why I use it.

Bmble_B
February 19th, 2016, 05:03 PM
I use Ubuntu Linux, I wanted to try it out and I ended up liking it a lot

Karkat
February 19th, 2016, 08:21 PM
My current computer is OSX Mavericks, but I also use Windows 7 on my old (deceased, RIP) and family computers.

I honestly hate 8 and newer. I'm getting more used to 8, but I honest to god prefer 7 and XP... And as far as Mac, I have problems and things I like about everything from snow leopard until Mavericks (I haven't updated my OS because I'm paranoid)

Kagura
February 19th, 2016, 08:33 PM
I use Mac/El Capitan, but honestly, I kinda miss Windows. I'd use a virtualization program or bootcamp if Bill Gates didn't ask for your first born child in exchange for a Windows disk.

I honestly hate 8 and newer. I'm getting more used to 8, but I honest to god prefer 7 and XP...

Windows 10 looks so weird. It's format reminds me of iOS 7 and above. But I love W7. WXP looks odd to me. :P

Karkat
February 19th, 2016, 08:38 PM
I use Mac/El Capitan, but honestly, I kinda miss Windows. I'd use a virtualization program or bootcamp if Bill Gates didn't ask for your first born child in exchange for a Windows disk.

Windows 10 looks so weird. It's format reminds me of iOS 7 and above. But I love W7. WXP looks odd to me. :P

I grew up with Windows XP basically until 7 came out. (Because Vista is shit and also our Vista computer literally blew up whoops)

It's pretty old school, if you compare it to technology now, but it's a pretty solid OS, and honestly I wouldn't mind having to use it again if it wasn't completely obsolete now :P But I do prefer 7.

Kagura
February 19th, 2016, 08:50 PM
i grew up with windows xp basically until 7 came out. (because vista is shit and also our vista computer literally blew up whoops)

it's pretty old school, if you compare it to technology now, but it's a pretty solid os, and honestly i wouldn't mind having to use it again if it wasn't completely obsolete now :p but i do prefer 7.

[-]but imagine if windows 98 still existed[/-]

Babs
February 19th, 2016, 09:59 PM
Don't like Mac. Windows is too damn automatic (leave something up to the user wouldja) but I'd take it over Mac.

Sheriff McGregor
February 19th, 2016, 10:15 PM
I have a Mac desktop, not sure which it is. I only use it for school work. I usually use my phone or ipad

Jinglebottom
February 20th, 2016, 01:41 AM
I'm an unfortunate user of Windows 8.1, and I would do anything to go back to Windows 7 and stick with it for who knows how long. 8.1 looks like it was made for tablets.

Murk.T.M
February 20th, 2016, 02:06 AM
I like the reliability and support of linux. i installed linux ubuntu next to vista but i messed it up so im back on vista now ... ugh nothing suports anymore i cant wait to switch to linux mint.

Endeavour
February 20th, 2016, 12:52 PM
I'm an unfortunate user of Windows 8.1, and I would do anything to go back to Windows 7 and stick with it for who knows how long. 8.1 looks like it was made for tablets.

you do know you can get a free upgrade to windows 10?

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3 GB download required; Internet access fees may apply. Estimated retail price of Windows 10 Home shown, actual retail prices may vary. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified and genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices that you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market.

I think that year ends at the end of July IIRC.

Typhlosion
February 20th, 2016, 01:42 PM
This poll has to be multi-option! :P

I have BOTH Windows 10 and openSUSE on my system. And my father, despite having a Mac, uses windows on it too :lol:

Melodic
February 20th, 2016, 01:52 PM
I have Windows 10 on my laptop. On the laptop I had a year ago, I had Windows 8.1 which annoyed me so much. I loved the apps but the layout confused me so much.

Reise
February 20th, 2016, 01:58 PM
I have Windows 10 and OS X El Capitan.

W10 is pretty fine, they made a lot of efforts even if the multi-task is far to worth OS X's.

Jinglebottom
February 20th, 2016, 03:15 PM
you do know you can get a free upgrade to windows 10?
Yeah I do, but is it any good? I've heard mixed opinions.

zack.zack
February 20th, 2016, 03:42 PM
I use Ubuntu Linux because its easy to use, doesnt have the problems that windows has, is very secure and doesnt use half as many system resources

Porpoise101
February 20th, 2016, 03:44 PM
I have Windows 10 on my PC and Lubuntu on my super old laptop. Using a Linux-based OS is nice to resurrect your old computer. And to me, Windows 10 is alright.

Endeavour
February 20th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Yeah I do, but is it any good? I've heard mixed opinions.

Windows 10 isn't great, but a whole lot better than 8.

lyhom
February 20th, 2016, 06:36 PM
currently use windows 10 on my laptop, personally I like it a lot :P

windows 8(.1) honestly wouldn't have been that bad to me if it weren't so obviously a slapdash attempt to combine two different ideas together

everlong
February 21st, 2016, 12:55 PM
I use Windows 10. I much prefer Windows over Mac.

Lukas1999
February 29th, 2016, 03:16 PM
I use Windows 10 on my computer too.

Before i used Windows 10 I used Windows 8.1 and Windows 8. I had begun with Windows 7. I did my first computer experiences on a computer with Windows XP.

kylem1229
February 29th, 2016, 07:50 PM
I love windows 10. No problems with it. Before that I had windows 7, I tired windows 8 on a demo, which was such a letdown

TeenPortland
February 29th, 2016, 11:04 PM
I have Windows and Mac
Windows is great but...
Mac is more reliable by far.

PinkFloyd
February 29th, 2016, 11:39 PM
I use a Mac and am currently running El Captain, but I voted for Windows 10 because I like it better and honestly wish I could have a Lenovo Flex 4

lliam
February 29th, 2016, 11:55 PM
I use Windows 7, because I use old 32-bit software. On my desktop computer, I installed a 64 bit system (win 7). If there all programs correspond to the 32 bit system, I'll switch to windows 10.

Maddy01
March 3rd, 2016, 07:20 AM
Windows 8

Cristina15
March 18th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I used windows, then mac os ...another planet :)

jdhud024
April 13th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Aww, I can only select one OS?

I use El Capitan, Windows 10, and Windows XP on a daily basis.

XP is used on a PC that just streams music and YouTube, so even though it still works great, I'll give my thoughts on the two newer ones.

Coming from using Windows my whole life, OS X took a little adjusting, but I personally like it more than Windows 10, though they both have their pros and cons. So, I'll just create a list for both, a list of the pros that each OS has over the other.

Keep in mind this is my opinion, and therefore should be treated as such.

Pros to using El Capitan
1. OS X handles multiple workspaces better than anything else. The way Mission Control handles everything just works, and works easy, using easy gestures on the touchpad.
2. The Notification Center in OS X is 10 times better than W10 (get the pun?).
3. OS X is buttery smooth. Whether it is 10.11.4 on my 2015 Retina 13 inch MacBook Pro or the late 2009 17 inch MacBook Pro that also runs 10.11.4 I use at school to run MainStage 3, it runs just as smooth on the almost seven year old MacBook as it does on my six month old MacBook. Granted, once the 17 from '09 has multiple apps open at much, the 4GB RAM it has starts to fill up, but animations and navigation of the UI is still buttery smooth on that MacBook.
4. Integration with iOS. Though Windows 10 is supposed to get Android integration soon.
5. Generally more stable. In three months, my MacBook has only had one kernel panic, and my Windows 10 machine has blue screened twice, and will freeze up occasionally. the install of 10 is only about three months old. The freezes and crashes aren't enough to make it unusable, it hasn't done any of those in almost three weeks. It is, however, just something to note.
6. Having Pages, Keynote, and Numbers for free pre-installed, without paying for a subscription or buying them like you have to do for Microsoft Office.
7. The Force Touch trackpad in Safari and Finder are hard to live without now, having different functionality depending on how much force I exert is actually really useful.

Pros to using Windows 10
1. Limited to Macs only.
2. The task bar. I personally like the one central bar at the bottom that everything running is shown on, as opposed to the dock in OS X9, which shows open apps on the dock, but the options for everything are at the top of the screen. On Windows, the options are on the task bar, as well as menus in the app itself.
3. Better for gaming. I'm not a gamer, but I still think this should be listed.
4. The ability to interact with Android phones via USB. Something that I have to keep in mind, considering my phone is an LG G3.
5. Using Cortana. She is 10 times better than Spotlight Search, simply because of voice recognition.

As the list shows, I like El Capitan over Windows 10. This has nothing to do with me being an Apple fanboy or anything. My MacBook Pro is the only Apple device I own, and I have had it maybe 5 months, probably not even that long. I have used Windows 10 since the day it was released. These are just my opinions after using both together daily. My MacBook Pro goes to and from school with me everyday, and I use Windows 10 on an Asus laptop that outputs to a Samsung 26 inch TV via HDMI as its monitor, essentially making it a desktop PC.

Windows 10 is good, but I like how OS X is always working, and is instantly ready wherever I pull my MacBook out at.

I have spent way too much time on this. Thanks, Adderall.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

TL;DR: I like El Capitan better than 10.

LucaBaLuca
September 13th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Windows 10 computer but Apple iPhone

Jericho14
October 9th, 2016, 02:45 AM
I use Window 10 and never had problems with it, Mac is pretty good but i don't think im gonna get used to it

Mars
October 9th, 2016, 11:57 AM
This thread was bumped :locked: