PDA

View Full Version : Speaking and Listening Assessment

BillyyB
February 19th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Hi, we start our speaking and listening assessment in March and I have a massive phobia of speaking infront of people, let alone a speech and then having to answer questions! I got to do it infront of my English teacher and its worth 20% of my overall GCSE English Language!
What should I do? What if I forget my speech and totally muck it up?

Chapperz16
February 19th, 2016, 10:38 AM
I was exactly the same when I had my sal assessment. What I did was choose to speak about something the teacher hated, it was easier to speak in front of him knowing he didn't like what I was saying haha

BillyyB
February 19th, 2016, 11:03 AM
I was exactly the same when I had my sal assessment. What I did was choose to speak about something the teacher hated, it was easier to speak in front of him knowing he didn't like what I was saying haha

haha, what did you do yours about? im stuck on ideas

Chapperz16
February 19th, 2016, 01:45 PM
I did mine on the Crimean annexation of 2014, teacher is Ukrainian, I'm Russian. Speech went amazing as I persuasively explained why Ukraine belonged to Russia haha.

Mars
February 19th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I did mine on the Crimean annexation of 2014, teacher is Ukrainian, I'm Russian. Speech went amazing as I persuasively explained why Ukraine belonged to Russia haha.

Well thats fucked up lol

As for the OP, the only thing you can do is be confident. I hate speaking in front of students but had to do so for an assignment (and because my teacher doesn't like me so she called on me). I was sitting in the back and dicking around so my teacher decided it was a smart idea to call on me thinking that I didn't do anything. Just gotta stand up, chest out and chin high, and do what you gotta do.

Desuetude
February 19th, 2016, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure that this is very comforting but I panicked so much that I completely broke down crying in mine and still managed to get a B. Just feel breathe and practice writing it down a lot and practice the different paragraphs out loud separately. If you're reasonabley good at making stuff up on the spot then just note down the main points in order and practice making things up around them. If you get a cue card then use that to your advantage, I wrote down the start of each sentence which was a very good prompt if you're planning on memorising the whole thing. Good luck!

Endeavour
February 19th, 2016, 04:47 PM
We have our S&L assessments coming up after Easter, with the new GCSE spec it doesn't actually count toward your final grade but you still have to do it, it's marked on the BTEC scale I think (as in Pass,Merit,Distinction).
I always get worried before doing class presentations, just take some deep breaths, have a glass of water maybe before and you should be fine. :)