PDA

View Full Version : American times.

Endeavour
February 18th, 2016, 11:43 AM
This is sort of a general question here.

In America when they say a program is on at 8/7c what does that mean?

What do they do with live Shows? Let's take the morning news. If it starts at let's say 7am in the east, it would be like 4 in pacific wouldn't it? Do they show it at the same time or is it delayed? Is it the same show in the east then WEST?

Thanks.

zack.zack
February 18th, 2016, 11:54 AM
The states are broken up into different time zones, so that is why they say a show starts at 8/7 c.

the time zones are: eastern, mountain, central, and pacific. The difference between eastern and pacific is 3 hours difference. So going from eastern to pacific you count backwards by 1 hour for each time zone.

I hope this makes sense.

Chapperz16
February 18th, 2016, 01:21 PM
See this is why the states in the US make no sense.

Mars
February 18th, 2016, 01:33 PM
See this is why the states in the US make no sense.

If you understand timezones, they do make sense. North America is a huge continent, so of course there's going to be different time zones, just like how New York and England have different time zones.

The shows say 8/7c to show that in different areas of America, it's showing at different times.

Endeavour
February 18th, 2016, 02:26 PM
If you understand timezones, they do make sense. North America is a huge continent, so of course there's going to be different time zones, just like how New York and England have different time zones.

The shows say 8/7c to show that in different areas of America, it's showing at different times.

Ok, yeah I get there's eastern, central, mountain, pacific, alaska, and hawaii, but what time zones does '8/7c' refer to?

And let's take the morning news as an example. If the news started in eastern at let's say 7am, it would still be 4am in pacific. Would it be the same news shown in eastern, central, etc. just delayed?

Mars
February 18th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Ok, yeah I get there's eastern, central, mountain, pacific, alaska, and hawaii, but what time zones does '8/7c' refer to?

And let's take the morning news as an example. If the news started in eastern at let's say 7am, it would still be 4am in pacific. Would it be the same news shown in eastern, central, etc. just delayed?

8 Eastern - 7 Central to show the time difference

Endeavour
February 18th, 2016, 03:36 PM

8 Eastern - 7 Central to show the time difference

Ah I get it now :) thanks

Sheriff McGregor
February 18th, 2016, 05:07 PM
It would be 6 mountain time, just in case anyone was wondering

Falcons_11
February 20th, 2016, 10:29 PM
The beginning of regulated time zones in the USA came about in the mid 19th century mostly by the railroads. The railroads needed to have a dependable system of showing the times of departure and arrivals of their freight and passenger trains. But this system was confusing since some railroads used their own time scheduling system. It wasn't until 1918 that the 4 times zones we have today in the USA was standardized my federal law. That law set up Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific time zones (Alaska and Hawaii have their own time zones). But, there are several states that have 2 time zones within their borders..Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, South and North Dakota, Idaho and Oregon.