PDA

View Full Version : Ti's Guitar Thread

TiorTristan
February 16th, 2016, 02:12 AM
Hey guys, so I couldn't find a dedicated sub-thread thing for like playing instruments, so if this is the wrong thread, please lock this but if not, lets get started.
My name is Ti, pronounced like you know the neck thing, or Tristan. I'm wanting/am getting into guitar and would like to use this as both A. motivation B. a way to receive advise. So if there are any guitar players that see this, it would be great if you could give me some help. I'm self teaching myself for the most part (I'm learn best on my own) but I do take advice. I'm not going into this blind because A. I have a semester and half of music theory under my belt so reading/comprehending music is extremely easy now as well as B. I'm a rather good vocalist, in the higher tenor range. C. I'm also not a complete novice, I have the basics, just nothing complex at all
I have a decent amount of reasons to learn
A. Main reason is in 5 months, it will be a year since me and one of my best friends met and I want to do something really special for her. We have two songs, Thunder and Hero/Heroine, both by Boys Like Girls and I would love to play one if not both for her (not romantically, been there with her, bit of a disaster)
B. I have wanted to learn an instrument for a while
C. Be able to serenade girls whenever :P
D. Few other reasons but I can't think of them now
So this will be a place for me to update on my progress and keep me motivated, thank you for your advice in advance.

The Byrd
February 16th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Cool. Have you got a guitar and if so, which one?

TiorTristan
February 16th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Cool. Have you got a guitar and if so, which one?

Yes, a low-mid range electric, don't know the exact model or manufacturer. I do plan on purchasing an acoustic some time soon because amps can be a pain sometimes and I like the sound of acoustics better overall

ImCoolBeans
March 12th, 2016, 10:49 AM
The best thing you can do is play every day. As often as you can, for as long as you can. Even if it's just 10-15 minutes some days, make sure you pick it up every day, it makes a big difference. I would definitely recommend getting an acoustic guitar at some point, they're a lot of fun to play and they're pretty cool to do covers with because you can simplify a song and it doesn't necessarily need a full band behind it like you might want/need with an electric guitar. I wouldn't stop playing electric, though, there's also so much you can do with electric and there's really nothing better than jamming with your friends with your amp cranked all the way up :P

Learn a lot of songs, you'll pick up different techniques from different songs and artists. If you don't have someone to teach/instruct you this is a great way to learn different styles and techniques.