PDA

View Full Version : Dropping out of school to do bachelors?

LegendBeta
February 11th, 2016, 06:02 AM
Okay let me explain a little bit about myself, I'm Liam I have just turned 17 the other day and I was wondering if this is the right thing to do ?

So I recently moved country's and this was going to be the last year of school for me but I recently found out because of my move I can't take my credits with me so passing this year is out of the question.

I reached out to some people and there is a 3 year course not far from here that will give me a bachelor in game art (My dream qualifications :lol: ) anyway I can get a student living benefit and student benefit to pay my living costs and I'll be moving out after the first year of study because the it's all online until you further move through your course.

I'm just wondering if this is the right thing to do, is this healthy for my social life I mean I'm probably going to join a club or sports team in my weekends to keep me from boredom but is dropping out of school and starting my bachelors such a good idea and should I do it ?

Also I am accepted for the bachelors because of my previous 2 years in a row top student in graphic design, it's a commendable achievement apparently to the point where they would have been willing to let me skip the first year :what: and just go straight to moving into the campus ?

tl;dr version: I'm dropping out of school to start my bachelors is this normal?

Typhlosion
February 11th, 2016, 01:04 PM
I have nothing wrong with the idea in principle.

But doesn't something sound fishy there? What college exactly is it? Does it have any sore of reputation? OR, perhaps they're accepting any Joe that'll pay his tuition? I'd think a lot more before doing anything.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND watching this video on game schools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmdGZk-fF98
You should check their other videos too, it's all about game design.

Cognizant
February 15th, 2016, 04:30 AM
NOTE: I'm from the US State of California so our education system might be different from where you live. I never graduated high school in the United States. I didn't drop out, I just failed all my classes at the very end so I didn't get my high school diploma.

You can absolutely get your bachelors without your diploma, but the path you take is different. I have never heard of a single 4-year institution (which provides B.A/B.S degrees) that will accept a dropout right away. Usually, you'll have to go to Community College (2 year college) and transfer in to an undergraduate program. That is what I'm doing at the moment: I'm attending a 2 year college and taking the classes needed so I can transfer to a 4 year university (such as UC Riverside or Stanford), and hopefully get my bachelors in Human Development, biology, or Psychology before moving on to a graduate PA program.

That said, I have never heard of a single school that would allow a dropout into their bachelors program, so read the fine print carefully. If you did somehow get in, well, congratulations. More power to you. You absolutely don't need to graduate high school/secondary school to be successful in life.

LegendBeta
February 15th, 2016, 06:09 AM
It seems to be a rather reputable institution, I think most of the requirements for entry is actually based on the portfolio of previous graphic design work and the knowledge of the programs they use, and I worked in a graphic design firm for a year too.

It seems like this looks like the pathway for me, I got a recommendation from my old graphics teacher too and I'll most likely be starting study some time soon.

Thanks guys for the help.

Axw_JD
February 27th, 2016, 03:44 AM
It seems to be a rather reputable institution, I think most of the requirements for entry is actually based on the portfolio of previous graphic design work and the knowledge of the programs they use, and I worked in a graphic design firm for a year too.

It seems like this looks like the pathway for me, I got a recommendation from my old graphics teacher too and I'll most likely be starting study some time soon.

Thanks guys for the help.

"knowledge of the programs they use" is a big red flag, so is the fact it's a 2 year program.... How many grads they have working in big AAA companies?

LegendBeta
November 8th, 2016, 10:35 AM
"knowledge of the programs they use" is a big red flag, so is the fact it's a 2 year program.... How many grads they have working in big AAA companies?

For some reason I'm back here, I finished the online part a few months ago and I'm putting some money together to move into a new city to continue my study there, I feel like I let a lot of my life slip away from me this year, but I got entry I guess, the course also covers animation and 3d modeling, not to mention I can change my qualificatuon as I go say if I find I like animation better than graphics I would not be locked in.