PDA

View Full Version : A reason to live

Karkat
February 10th, 2016, 05:57 PM
I feel like this could be a good idea.

I know a lot of you struggle with depression, even suicidal thoughts or attempts.

I find that when I am suicidal or feeling really down, it's hard to think of reasons I should give a fuck and stick around. All I can think about is what's going wrong.

Thinking of a reason to live will not instantly make things better. But sometimes, at very least, it can lessen the desire a bit. Sometimes it even snaps me out of it entirely, even if only for a few minutes.

Now, this isn't some mandatory attendance for when you're feeling like dying. I say this for a couple reasons:

-No one wants or needs to hear that there's "no reason to live". Don't post that shit here. There are vent threads, this is not a vent thread. Do not waste comment space. It's spam, it's unhelpful, and it's undermining a positive idea. Please don't do it.
-You have to want to get past things. I'm not forcing you to try. It is your decision. It is up to you. I highly encourage you to at least try, but if you genuinely can't think of a reason, don't beat yourself up. This is just a tool to try to help. And the thing is, sometimes YOU have to be your own help. Sadly, in life, the only person ever guaranteed to stand up for you, save you, help you, comfort you, listen to you, or be there for you is yourself. But only if you let yourself.

What this thread is here for is a way to try and help yourself through things, perhaps find inspiration from why others want to live.

No negativity, PLEASE.

THIS IS NOT A VENT THREAD.

And please remember that things are only helpful if you let them be. You can't fight it and complain if it doesn't work. However, if it doesn't work, that's ok. Everyone is different. Different things work for different people. I just hope this at least helps some of you.

Feel free to post even when you don't feel like dying- or even depressed at all. If you can think of a good reason to live, share it.

I'll start:

A reason for me to live right now is so that I can experience my next birthday.
Bonus reason: I want to beat Twilight Princess at least once. And play Majora's Mask again.

dbfordateam
February 10th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Reason why I want to live, life is so precious, something uncontrollable in nature can take it away in the snap of a finger so enjoy it.

CombatsAndConverse
February 10th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Because there are still so many people out there who need someone to be there when they fall, need a friend, or just need someone to brighten their day, and I want to be the person to do it.

Karkat
February 11th, 2016, 10:25 AM
My hamster is a reason to live.

And as hard as it is to see the positive in our situation, Charlie is a huge reason for me to live. He needs me right now. He needs me to be strong, positive, supportive, loving. He needs me to take good care of myself right now, especially because he can't.

Abhorrence
February 11th, 2016, 10:32 AM
The potentiality of life is a reason to live. There's so much to gain.

ECSTASY
February 11th, 2016, 05:28 PM
A reason to live...
Trying to not make my foes happy by killing myself ...

Karkat
February 12th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Getting to enjoy another moment on this earth is a reason to live. It'll happen again someday.

Mars
February 12th, 2016, 09:03 PM
The food not yet tasted

lliam
February 12th, 2016, 09:45 PM
The simplest reason to life is just the will to want to live.

Sheriff McGregor
February 12th, 2016, 11:18 PM
The bright future that lies ahead of me

Babs
February 13th, 2016, 03:57 AM
Because I'm starting to feel a lot more optimistic and it'd be a damn shame to miss out on the good things I am capable of making happen for myself.

City Kid
February 13th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Music. All the bands I still wanna see live. The times my friends and I are laughing about the stupidest things because we're drunk as fuck. The times when my boyfriend tells me he loves me and I just know that it's true. And, uhm... Sex. Sex is a good thing about living.

Abhorrence
February 13th, 2016, 09:57 AM
My pup. I absolutely adore my dog. I couldn't leave her

Karkat
February 13th, 2016, 03:04 PM
The chance that maybe someday I'll get to be with him for the rest of my life, if all goes well

tovaris
February 13th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Because dieing would hurt to man people, and noone wnts to hurt thoe close to them

Desuetude
February 13th, 2016, 06:29 PM
My younger sister. I couldn't leave her by herself. I always want to be here to guide her and look out for her and watch her grow into the amazing, beautiful person I know she'll turn out to be.

everlong
February 13th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Sometime in the near future, I'll be eating one of my favorite foods again.

Sogeking
February 14th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Hope. Even in the darkest of days, hope can lift your spirits up high enough to want to experience the life ahead.

Karkat
February 16th, 2016, 01:27 AM
I want to get my GED, and my license, and finally feel like I have made progress in my life first.

Fiction
February 18th, 2016, 04:16 PM
My younger sister. I couldn't leave her by herself. I always want to be here to guide her and look out for her and watch her grow into the amazing, beautiful person I know she'll turn out to be.

That was my reason for so many years.

Because I know I can do something worthwhile with my life, even if I don't feel like it some days.

Sheriff McGregor
February 18th, 2016, 04:33 PM
I need to leave this world looking beautiful. I can't give up because, is be remembered as I am now: nothing.

Karkat
February 19th, 2016, 05:20 AM
I want to live so that I can see my dad again, my sisters, my nephews and niece. So I can congratulate my cousin for reaching adulthood in April. So I can congratulate Charlie for reaching 20 even though it's such a small fucking consolation at this point- and it's a big if as it is. So I can tell my nephew how proud I am of him, and see him now that he's growing up. Maybe make some memories of my niece so that if something happens she'll remember happy times with me, and not just my face from baby pictures. See my new little nephew for the first time. So my sisters, stepmom, and dad can see me for the first time in years, and how I've grown up into an adult.

Reghan
February 20th, 2016, 06:37 AM
A reason to live...my cats would miss me xD

And also CHOCOLATE

Karkat
February 24th, 2016, 12:06 AM
I need to live so that I can have more beautiful days like today. More birthdays that don't suck. More days that are worth living for.

Mars
February 24th, 2016, 12:18 AM
So I can grow up and look back on these days and say "damn wasn't I dumb?" And just laugh. Happy that I can laugh.

Karkat
February 28th, 2016, 08:22 PM
I need to live so that I can continue to get better at singing, and continue to do what I love

Babs
February 28th, 2016, 11:23 PM
Because there would be no one to take care of my rabbit if I died, and she would end up in a shelter and then put down.

Because of how affected I was when someone I know attempted suicide, and how scared I've been for years that it would happen.

Mars
February 28th, 2016, 11:33 PM
So I can fly an A10 Warthog before it retires

Pat the Bunny
February 29th, 2016, 12:08 PM
The best album in the world is out there and I probably haven't heard it yet

Hyper
February 29th, 2016, 06:13 PM
I'd probably have to write a novel on this topic to really explain my reasoning or feelings through out the years.

But one thing that it always came down to for me, now some people might not understand this, but I always found solace in the thought that... Why should I end my life and deny myself the chance to be happy?

It's been a very long time since I truly felt this way but there was a time when I really couldn't remember what it was like to be happy at all... So a defiant thought that kept me going was that - if I die now I will never be happy again, it's shitty now but it can only get better now - it sounds basic and it is but it was one of the things that kept me going.

I just wanted to resist and refuse to let the bad shit in my life to put me down and make me end it.

Now that I'm out of those deep dark holes where I was in the past I can think of plenty of reasons to keep living all the time but the main one is still the same, yet it's gained clarity and positivity along the way - there's so much good things I can still experience and give to others.

benlodge123
March 1st, 2016, 02:59 PM
I want to get my dream job

davdev17
March 2nd, 2016, 08:59 PM
So that my family doesn't have to deal with my death

Meron
March 5th, 2016, 09:16 PM
There's a lot to live for, try out new things, do whatever you'd like. Also remember your beloved ones.

Babs
March 14th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Because I'll have missed out on so much.

Mars
March 14th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Because I want to learn.

Sheriff McGregor
March 14th, 2016, 11:15 PM
I want to have children in the future

Microcosm
March 19th, 2016, 12:57 PM
To become a better person so that I can more effectively provide for others and improve the lives of those less fortunate than myself.