PDA

View Full Version : Getting braces

Endeavour
February 9th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I had to go to the dentist today (for my regular check-up) and she noticed that one of my teeth is slightly in the wrong position. She wants to see me again on Monday to create a mould for the (removable) brace. I already have a really bad fear of the dentist, having to go see her more often is frightening! I only have to have the brace for 3 months, compared to wearing permanent braces for years 3 months might not seem like long, but I'm really not looking forward to it.

Any advice/help?

Desuetude
February 9th, 2016, 02:59 PM
I got regular braces on at the beginning of college and theyre coming off at the end - in about 3 months (I hope). So I've had them on at a later age than most people, unfortunately.

I think that although you may be nervous about having to go more regularly (even though I assume it's only 2/3 more times if you're only getting them for 3 months) it'll be worth it in the long run. Being able to smile without having to stress about wonky teeth is definitely worth it in my opinion, which is why I went private and paid a fuck tonne to get them. Are you getting yours on the NHS? I can't believe they'd give you any kind of brace free if its cosmetic, that's crazy! Fear of the dentist is quite irrational but common so I'd say do some deep breathing beforehand and remember that nothing bad is going to happen. Especially if you're getting the retainer kind. All they do is fit you with a mould so it's removable and nothing painful should happen at the dentist, only whilst the retainer is on and your teeth are moving.

Jinglebottom
February 9th, 2016, 03:51 PM
I've had my braces on since December 2013, I'm taking them off in a few weeks. :P

Honestly, it wasn't all that bad. Sure, they hurt like a motherfucker each time I got them tightened (roughly two days), and I used up more dental wax than I can imagine, but at least my teeth look good now. You should feel lucky for only having to put up with them for three months, they've been keeping me company for 2 years. :P

Splat
February 9th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Do you mean removable braces as in clear retainers?

And are they doing it on NHS? Because if it's only one crooked teeth, I'll be surprised if they are.
See, they have rules and regulations for how bad the teeth are.
And I know private can cost 2000 +. However this is coming off of the idea of fixed braces and one of my friends who was on private.
My teeth were bad enough for NHS (they were sticking out EVERYWHERE!) And the fixed I had in y7 + half of y8. I now have the clear retainers which I assume you are talking about (which let me tell me are nothing compared to the pain of fixed. Omg.) And I've digressed.

Anyway, all they'll do is stick a mould on the row of teeth. Of course, they have to give it a bit of a jamming but do not bite the dentist lol.

Also, I know dentists are not the most favourable places to be and I too don't like going, but as long as you keep your teeth healthy, there will be less trips when you're older :D

Sheriff McGregor
February 9th, 2016, 05:48 PM
I had braces for almost three years and it sucked. Then I had a plastic, clear retainer that I had to wear for six months or something but I stopped after a week. I hated braces but the first month is the worst. You'll adjust to them. For me, after a year I barely noticed them. In that spectrum, three months ain't that bad. If they are the plastic removable so, taking them off is very tempting. I think they hurt like a bugger and really make your teeth sore. If you take them off, you'll make it worse. It's easiest to just suffer through the pain and it will be over before you know it.

Abhorrence
February 9th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Don't be worried about a removable brace for three months, it'll be absolutely fine. I've had my braces on since May 2014 and hopefully they're going to be removed by the end of the year. I've never really had any trouble with them - they hurt when they're tightened but that's about it. The moulding process is gross, it tastes and feels nasty - but once again doesn't hurt. The only issue you may have is irritation of your gums or cheeks from the foreign brace being in your mouth. It can be somewhat painful if ulcers grow.

amgb
February 10th, 2016, 03:05 AM
Omg braces, I actually kinda liked having them. I had braces on for 3 years, and a girl at my previous school had braces on for 5 years (to this day I have no idea what was going on with her teeth...). But I get how you feel, when my orthodontist first told me I needed braces I wasn't looking forward to it one bit. I also have a mild fear of dentists, but it'll be fine. You'll be fine, don't freak out. When you freak out you'll get more worked up over it, it'll be alright. Getting the mould for your teeth isn't too bad, compared to getting the actual braces it doesn't hurt much at all. The braces will hurt, but afterwards it'll only hurt for a few days to a week before your mouth and teeth will get used to the feeling. You will get used to it, trust me. Getting rid of food out of your braces and the appointments you go to for tightening the braces will be a real pain though. When you're at the dentist, think happy thoughts. Deep breaths, positive thoughts, and if you need it get a family member or someone to be there with you when you're getting your teeth done. You should receive some dental wax, to put around the wire where it's rubbing at the inside of your mouth. If you ever experience any strange or abnormal senses of pain after a few weeks of getting braces, make sure to tell your dentist so they can do something about it. Though I think the more regular check-ups will be good for them to see how you're going with the braces. I really hope I didn't scare you or anything, I don't mean to and I only wanted to explain as much as I can :/

CupcakeLuv101
February 10th, 2016, 09:23 PM
I had to go to the dentist today (for my regular check-up) and she noticed that one of my teeth is slightly in the wrong position. She wants to see me again on Monday to create a mould for the (removable) brace. I already have a really bad fear of the dentist, having to go see her more often is frightening! I only have to have the brace for 3 months, compared to wearing permanent braces for years 3 months might not seem like long, but I'm really not looking forward to it.

Any advice/help?

I've been wearing braces for almost 3 years, i know one of my friend had them for 5 years.
I know this is hard but the best way to get over your fears is to face them. Don't worry, I promise you will be fine. Many kids have to go through the struggles of having braces but we will all get through it no problem. What exactly about the dentist is frightening you?

CuteGuy889
February 11th, 2016, 06:22 PM
I hate dentists...I'd never go to one..Whn I was 14 mom took me to one to have a tooth out..She gave me an injection w/o warning..(in case I struggel) but the sudden pain made me pee my pants....

It was soooo embarassing to go wait in the waiting room for the injection to take effect and then walk to the car park with a visible pee patch on my pants...

It was so wet in the car park mom got me to take my school uni pants and undies off and wipe me with some car tissue to save the car seat..!!!.......So I rode home with my school bag on my lap to cover me..

Endeavour
February 15th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Oh my.. just had them today! It was nothing to worry about... thank you all!
Desuetude Splat Sheriff McGregor Abhorrence aNdMoRe

Living For Love
February 15th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Locked at OP request. :locked2: