PDA

View Full Version : Homework Help

Tray455
February 1st, 2016, 08:07 PM
I am doing a homework assignment, I need people to tell me what they think are the top five issues facing the education system. Plz help!

Sheriff McGregor
February 2nd, 2016, 03:35 AM
I am doing a homework assignment, I need people to tell me what they think are the top five issues facing the education system. Plz help!

1. Students not being prepared for life after school.
2. High school not being funded enough.
3. Low income neighborhoods cannot provide education as good as neighborhoods of higher incomes.
4. Drug trafficking in schools.
5. Students not graduating

These may not be what your teacher is looking for. Also, these aren't necessarily my opinions but rather the first topics that came to my head.

Endeavour
February 2nd, 2016, 05:55 PM
One major one I can think of is lack of 'home' education. What I mean by this is stuff like finance and how to look after yourself in the real world. Like who really (apart from those who want to go into maths as a career) need to know how to work out the length of the hypotenuse using the great Pythagoras Theorem.

Vlerchan
February 2nd, 2016, 06:43 PM
Like who really (apart from those who want to go into maths as a career) need to know how to work out the length of the hypotenuse using the great Pythagoras Theorem.
Learning this has to do with introducing students to certain lines of thinking - like basic modelling: mathematical modelling being fundamental to a significant number of career paths.

In general the skills you pick up are just as - if not more important than - the information you learn.

I agree with your main point though - Even though I'd hope most people can access that information from home through parents or guardians: or the internet.

---

@OP:

I'd go either for the linkage of poor neighbourhoods and poor schooling - or the de-emphasise of civic responsibility in education.

jsands
February 5th, 2016, 05:52 PM

1. Reliance on "one-size-fits-all" exams with no respect for kids that learn differently or rely on other skills.
2. Teachers educating kids on just how to pass the exams, not passing on genuine skills or knowledge.
3. "Posh" schools only accepting posh, rich kids into them at the expense of poor income families.
4. Parents expect schools and teachers to do ALL the teaching, whereas their knowledge should complement what their children have learned when they get back home eg. sit down and do homework with parents, adults outside of teachers sharing knowledge.
5. Budget cuts.

StoppingTom
February 5th, 2016, 06:09 PM
1) Lack of "reality" classes, like teaching students how to pay taxes/bills, insurance, etc.
2) Teacher's solely being judged based on how their kids do on exams (Some kids are just dumb/don't try)
3) Funding being taken away from public schools and going to charter schools
4) A flawed anti-bullying program. "If You See Something, Say Something" doesn't work, because bullies pick on snitches even harder.
5) Discipline system. A kid who constantly causes trouble in school gets OSS. That's hardly a punishment for them, since they don't even want to be in school in the first place.

josh wendt
February 10th, 2016, 04:58 PM
1. nothing is done about bullying (do they seriously think that kids view suspension etc as a punishment?)
2. standardized testing (where they only test students on certain skills and expect everyone to be good at them)
3. no air conditioning in classrooms (in my country, it gets very hot in summer and the heat makes you sick,exhausted and unable to focus)
4. the fact that teachers decide whether or not you'll be able to get a good job by the time your 15.if you cant do standardized tests, youll be put in the "easy" subjects and be written off as incompetent.
5.school uniform design (at my school the clothing material burns your skin in summer and in winter, the jumpers are so thin that they do nothing to warm you up)

amgb
February 11th, 2016, 02:25 AM
~ Too much focus on the teaching and not enough focus on the learning part. The teachers can teach all they want however they want, but if the kids aren't engaged and aren't learning then they aren't learning and will not want to learn.
~ The fact that test/exam scores determines a student's intelligence and capability. Yes, in general it does. But not all the time. Teachers turn a blind eye to gifted students who simply don't value certain aspects of education like they're expected to.
~ Technology. Yes, beneficial to learning - but can also deter students from using their own abilities when they are able to. The internet inspires us with learning, but copying and pasting knowledge does not enrich our understanding of the information we learn about. Education needs to be more solely teacher-to-student based.

^Sorry my answers are so vague and not specific at all...