PDA

View Full Version : Can't study anymore

Jman437
January 30th, 2016, 02:34 PM
It's simple: I'm sick and tired of studying. I no longer have any motivation, I grew tired of being in school, taking exams and studying for it all. I'm currently in my second year in college(math degree), and things are going completely against me: I'm underachieving way more than before and my motivation is going down and down, and the thought of dropping out seems way better than falling into a depression and eventual suicide. No matter how hard I study, how much help I ask for, I always end up being an underachiever, and it pains me to see other people succedding, while I can't get out of this train wreck(I'm not jealous, I'm not mad at them, I'm just mad at myself for being an underachieving fuck). It was ALWAYS like this: always underachieving and underachieving, I literally NEVER got the grades I wanted since I entered college.

But, here's the catch: if I drop out, my future will be nothing but shit, it won't even be mediocre: I will never get a decent job, I will never get a girlfriend, I will never leave my parents' house. If I continue, I will graduate with a terrible GPA and end up in the same situation. I seriously don't know what to do anymore...

Fiction
January 31st, 2016, 09:23 AM
Have you been to see w doctor about this? You say you're depressed and it could be that that's affecting your motivation. If you are depressed, and they give you anti depressants, that should increase your motivation.

Also it sounds like you're just not interested in your degree. Is there any chance of changing subjects, or beginning again in a subject you're genuinely passionate about? That should also increase your motivation.

As for day to day studying, I totally understand th lack of motivation. I'm in the final year of a degree too and God it's exhausting. Perhaps just study in small chunks. Like an hour the. Do something different, then perhaps an hour later on in the day. That's a start anyway.

There's a lot of evidence that willpower to work can be increased through practice. Besides, it's getting started on studying that I always find the hardest.

Good luck

Jman437
January 31st, 2016, 02:10 PM
Have you been to see w doctor about this? You say you're depressed and it could be that that's affecting your motivation. If you are depressed, and they give you anti depressants, that should increase your motivation.

Also it sounds like you're just not interested in your degree. Is there any chance of changing subjects, or beginning again in a subject you're genuinely passionate about? That should also increase your motivation.

As for day to day studying, I totally understand th lack of motivation. I'm in the final year of a degree too and God it's exhausting. Perhaps just study in small chunks. Like an hour the. Do something different, then perhaps an hour later on in the day. That's a start anyway.

There's a lot of evidence that willpower to work can be increased through practice. Besides, it's getting started on studying that I always find the hardest.

Good luck

I am interested, hell, I always liked math, it's just that I'm constantly underachieving, and that gets on my freaking nerves... No matter how hard I try, I always get shitty grades, and it's a never-ending cycle...

Fiction
January 31st, 2016, 02:24 PM
I am interested, hell, I always liked math, it's just that I'm constantly underachieving, and that gets on my freaking nerves... No matter how hard I try, I always get shitty grades, and it's a never-ending cycle...

Is there any support at uni that you can access? Like extra tuition or anything?

Brieftime
January 31st, 2016, 02:45 PM
Set goals that you can reach.

Jman437
January 31st, 2016, 03:54 PM
Is there any support at uni that you can access? Like extra tuition or anything?

Nope, I'm all by myself there...

Sheriff McGregor
January 31st, 2016, 06:53 PM
It's simple: I'm sick and tired of studying. I no longer have any motivation, I grew tired of being in school, taking exams and studying for it all. I'm currently in my second year in college(math degree), and things are going completely against me: I'm underachieving way more than before and my motivation is going down and down, and the thought of dropping out seems way better than falling into a depression and eventual suicide. No matter how hard I study, how much help I ask for, I always end up being an underachiever, and it pains me to see other people succedding, while I can't get out of this train wreck(I'm not jealous, I'm not mad at them, I'm just mad at myself for being an underachieving fuck). It was ALWAYS like this: always underachieving and underachieving, I literally NEVER got the grades I wanted since I entered college.

But, here's the catch: if I drop out, my future will be nothing but shit, it won't even be mediocre: I will never get a decent job, I will never get a girlfriend, I will never leave my parents' house. If I continue, I will graduate with a terrible GPA and end up in the same situation. I seriously don't know what to do anymore...

I think you are over stressing about this. College is so over stressed, like you can get a job as a bank teller, car salesman, real estate agent, etc. not all decent jobs require a degree. What matters is that you are happy, even if you don't make a tone of money, who cares? Money isn't happiness. And if college is stressing you out, it's not making you happy. Why put yourself through so much pain?

Jman437
February 1st, 2016, 02:52 PM
I think you are over stressing about this. College is so over stressed, like you can get a job as a bank teller, car salesman, real estate agent, etc. not all decent jobs require a degree. What matters is that you are happy, even if you don't make a tone of money, who cares? Money isn't happiness. And if college is stressing you out, it's not making you happy. Why put yourself through so much pain?

Because college is the best route to a well-paying job! In the US, you can get good jobs without a college degree, in Portugal, no degree? You have nothing! And no, starting a business or starting from a small position and "working up to the top" doesn't work here. Either you got a degree or you get nothing decent in your future...

I can't imagine myself out of college. I will be miserable, I'll never get a decent job, I'll never have an independent life, I'll be a total loser!

Sheriff McGregor
February 1st, 2016, 09:31 PM
Because college is the best route to a well-paying job! In the US, you can get good jobs without a college degree, in Portugal, no degree? You have nothing! And no, starting a business or starting from a small position and "working up to the top" doesn't work here. Either you got a degree or you get nothing decent in your future...

I can't imagine myself out of college. I will be miserable, I'll never get a decent job, I'll never have an independent life, I'll be a total loser!

You won't be a loser. I guess it's different in Portugal than here. If you'll be miserable out of college, then stay in school. I hate to see anyone not be happy. I was saying if college made you unhappy, then don't go through with it. However, if you'd be less happy out of college then stick with it. I hope you all the best. Just know that no matter what happens, you aren't a loser. Please don't have a negative view of yourself.

Hope this was helpful
~ The Sheriff