PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Recreationally

redrider12
January 28th, 2016, 12:04 PM
What are you all's views about drinking? I've messed around in the past and especially where I live, I can get a handle of vodka with almost no opposition. Most every liquor store in my town doesn't card, and virtually everyone knows this. At my school, they hair-test for drugs and alcohol, but unless you are a repeated binge drinker, the test comes back clean. I'm still on the fence about it - I don't see harm in drinking every now and then. I've done it, but only at parties. I have a chance to get my hands on it for myself now.
What do you all think? I know addiction is a slippery slope, but my dad had bad alcohol dependency many years ago and I know the line very well. What are your thoughts? Good or bad?

Shiny Moon
January 28th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Drinking occasionally is ok IMO. What's not ok is doing it every day.

warbit
January 28th, 2016, 03:53 PM
I drink some beer every now and again. Don't drink to much tho :)

jsands
January 28th, 2016, 04:02 PM
I think drinking every now and again can even be a good thing, maybe not medically but socially. It lets you let your hair down, relax and just talk/chill with people you may not usually.
It's also a good excuse for meeting up with friends if you wouldn't normally.

Babs
January 28th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Doing it in excess is unhealthy. I don't give a shit if people drink as long as they're not assholes.

Judean Zealot
January 28th, 2016, 08:45 PM
In moderation is fine. It's not like heroin or meth.

redrider12
January 29th, 2016, 12:31 AM
The problem is the social aspect. I tend to do it only every so often, but it's always alone

West Coast Sheriff
January 29th, 2016, 12:34 AM
I drink at parties and usually too much. It's really not good.

I also sometimes have a beer, glass of wine or cocktail with my family members and I think one is okay. Whenever it impairs your ability to think, three or more, it's harmful to you and affects your decisions. I think if you do drink it should be with the consent of an adult and in moderation.

Binge drinking, often justified as partying, isn't okay. It's unhealthy and at your age illegal.

caged_owl
January 29th, 2016, 06:21 PM
I drink at parties on the weekend, sometimes too much but now I know how much I can handle. Lets be honest everything is a bit more fun when you drink just so long as you dont go silly all the time lol

Fiction
January 30th, 2016, 06:01 AM
I think the thing with alcohol dependency is that if you're going to become dependent, you will, unless you just don't touch the stuff. If you're going to become alcohol dependent, even if you resolve to drink lightly, it will get heavier as tolerance goes up.

Getting horrendously drunk with friends a few times is fun, and a part of growing up and learning I think!

However this is strong evidence for a genetic link for alcohol dependency, so I guess you have more of a chance with your father.

BondJamesBond
January 30th, 2016, 06:02 AM
Drinking now and then, like in social gatherings or enjoying a beer or wine with a good meal is just fine, but like others have pointed out, when it gets out of hand, and becomes a daily habit, then it's a problem.

Bull
January 30th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Having a beer or wine with a meal is nice. Beer and pizza while watching the game is nice. Having a cocktail with friends is nice. Drinking at parties is risky (there is a tendency to drink too much before you realize it). Binge drinking is bad and dangerous. Passing out drunk is really stupid and dangerous on several levels.

Lachy
February 15th, 2016, 05:12 AM
Yes I drink, It is the culture here to drink from about 13/14. One thing I have noticed from using the internet is people from the US are a lot more up tight about alcohol than here. Your school tests you for alcohol and drugs? :O Here we openly talk about drinking with our teachers. Some of us have even talked about getting high in class.

jssixna
February 16th, 2016, 01:26 AM
I'm okay with drinking until it gets to the point where it actually controls one's life then it's a big problem.

City Kid
February 17th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I drink alcohol for the taste of it about once a week, and get drunk with my friends maybe once a month. But I've got to add that it's completely legal for me to buy and consume alcohol. (At least when it comes to beer and wine, I can't buy the strong stuff yet.) I've only ever gotten really wasted once (to the point where I was vomiting and couldn't remember anything the next day) and I'm not planning on letting that happen ever again. Other than that, I'm perfectly fine with the amount of alcohol I consume.

Sublime Demonz
February 17th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Personally, if I were to drink at all, I wouldn't do it very often. I'm obviously not of legal age yet to buy/consume alcohol unless given to me at home, but my parents would probably never do that considering my mother is religious as fuck and my dad would never give up his beer.

The reason I wouldn't is credited to my father, who gets drunks once, maybe twice, a week. My mother has to go and pick him up from work, and he takes forever to leave once she gets there. I refuse to go with her, because once he gets in the car, he won't leave me alone. He already has a bad temper sober, so it's even worse when he's drunk. Offending him even the slightest bit might leave you with a burning red mark. My dad and I aren't close anyway, and I especially can't stand him when he's drunk.

I might drink casually with my friends every now and then, but I certainly wouldn't get trashed as often my dad does.

Giannaras
February 17th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Well I don't see the problem in drinking as long as you don't do it in excess.Here in Greece there is no legal limit(only moral limits,like if you are 8 almost no liquor store will sell to you)but if you are 12 years old or older you can consume alchool legally.So I almost got in the way of addiction this october because I had started consuming alchool everyday from like early August till 17 october in high amounts like 1,5 lt of wine and 0,5 lt of greek retsina everynight and my friends snapped me out of it when one night I just went full drunktard and everytime after 18 hours of being sober I felt a pain between the right chest and the heart(like a vein connecting and hurting)and when I was drinking it stopped.This was the earliest addiction stage and I just got mad at myself and didn't drink for 1 and a half month straight,so now I can enjoy being a little drunk once in every two weeks if I want to have more fun on parties.Everything in moderation is either good or neutral to you and your health you just need to know your limits...also alchool made me violent back in october and after I resolved some issues in my head the next time I got drunk on a party on December I was honestly the most loving and happy drunken person you could find(like really hugging my best friend and telling him how much I appreciate and love him which was awkward for him because he was sober and also called my girl bestie telling her the same stuff).So the problem with substances is not the substance itself be it a legal or an illegal substance it's the persons mindset(that's what I observed in myself),and if you have a negative mindset like when getting drunk or high you start remembering the past(like I did)and get sad or sth like that reflect on it and understand the root of the problem so you can end it once and for all(and then enjoy being drunk or anything without being afraid of addiction problems)

redrider12
March 8th, 2016, 12:15 AM
At the risk of bumping my own thread, I feel this useful to add.
What is the most interesting thing about teenage drinking here in the US is the law. Technically, unless its given to you by your parents, nobody under 21 can buy, posess, or drink it. Technically.
The practicality is different, though. At my school, I'd say 75% of students have had a drink or two in their high school lives. Some at parties, some with college-aged brothers and sisters, and some with parents. The point is that the law is a fairly poor deterrent. I see why there is a law - you wouldn't want 16 year olds who just got their first cars going out and getting smashed and trying to drive home. But there's something to be said for Europe, as well. Most of the European nations have substantially lower legal limits, if any. And I think that's a good thing.
When my dad found out I had drinks hidden in the house, he was surprised but I wouldn't say mad. As a kid, he grew up removed from alcohol entirely. When he got to college, away from his parents, he went head-first into drinking and got hooked fast. He had no prior experience, which meant that he couldn't tell what the alcohol was doing until he was already wasted.
He doesn't want me to be that way. He's told me that if it's just him home, he doesn't mind if I have a beer or three. I just can't leave the house that night. He's fine with me experimenting a little as long as he's watching. The more I know now, the safer I'll be later according to him. I like his logic

CuteGuy889
March 13th, 2016, 09:38 PM
I used to drink ..But vodka is strong and you dont feel till it hits you hard...I a party recently I had vodka and passed out....woke up the next day in my briefs with a horrible hangover...apparently I have puked all over me and passed out...so my friends have taken my clothes off and carried me to a bedroom...It was so embarrasing and now I hate booze...

Cristina15
March 15th, 2016, 03:52 PM
i think that drinking occasionally is ok; as all things abuse is always very bad.

Chapperz16
March 15th, 2016, 04:46 PM
I enjoy drinking but I must stretch the importance of sticking to a certain type. Mixing can be quite bad so either stick to something like beers or hard liquersi personally can only drink vodka or whiskey as I can't stand the taste of anything else and I can drink a lot haha. Gets me through a lot of hardships.

Human
March 15th, 2016, 07:48 PM
I've been drinking at parties since I was like 14, it's commonplace in the UK. It has negative health effects for sure but I'm doing fine at the moment despite it.

anna_2016
March 19th, 2016, 08:48 PM
I've drank once. I didn't think i was that drunk until someone pointed out i peed my pants. Ugh

Melodic
March 19th, 2016, 08:53 PM
A drink here or there on the occasion is okay. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's constantly depressed or angry (especially around our age) because that's typically how alcohol abuse starts.

Irishperson15
March 24th, 2016, 09:59 PM
I hate the idea of it. Have never done it and don't intend to. Unfortunately, it is a major part of 'culture' here. I think anyone should be allowed to do it recreationally as long as they don't harm anyone else.

Hermes
March 26th, 2016, 04:27 PM
...At my school, they hair-test for drugs and alcohol, but unless you are a repeated binge drinker, the test comes back clean.

To a European, this is a complete disgrace. America calls itself "The Land of the Free" and yet they do this? What business it it of the school whether you drink or do drugs outside school? The school should concern themselves with how you behave at school and your academic performance. As long as you don't turn up drunk or stoned and get decent grades they should leave you be. On the other hand, if your performance at school is poor and alcohol or drugs seems a likely cause then giving the chance to come clean and get help is obviously a good idea.

Drinking can be a good social lubricant. It can lower inhibitions and encourage people to be more outgoing and friendly and improve social interaction. On the other hand, when people have had too much it can lead to fights etc. When you first start drinking it is easy to have too much and there comes a certain stage of being drunk when your judgement is pretty much gone and you don't care how much more drunk you get. Most people who fall foul of that go home, sleep it off and maybe get a hangover but a few come to grief.

Long-term the government here set safe consumption limits and advise against bingeing, i.e. getting drunk.

...I know addiction is a slippery slope, but my dad had bad alcohol dependency many years ago and I know the line very well. What are your thoughts? Good or bad?

I think there is a common fallacy that there is some magical level of drinking at which it suddenly gets completely out of control and you end up an alcoholic and that if you can keep short of that level you are safe. Rather, alcoholism seems to be a combination of a predisposition, which maybe genetic, and circumstances. The level of drinking is a symptom, not the cause.

Jontxu
August 18th, 2016, 04:36 PM
In my opinion drinking from time to time is okay and can be very fun if you don't get wasted. Drinking and getting drunk every day would not be okay though.

Emerald Dream
August 18th, 2016, 04:51 PM
In my opinion drinking from time to time is okay and can be very fun if you don't get wasted. Drinking and getting drunk every day would not be okay though.

Please do not post in threads with more than two months of inactivity. :locked: