PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we reply to old threads?

Vanilla Cupcake
January 26th, 2016, 11:07 AM
I have noticed many times that I reply to a thread that is old and then I get told I'm not allowed to do that. Why is that? Can't you just delete old threads.?

azure moonstone
January 26th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Simply put - We have the bump rule (except in the VT Arcade and the Member Diaries) to try and keep our content fresh and relevant, and our forums free from a lot of clutter. We have some members with a lot of time on the forum, but just as many (if not more) members don't stay for very long. There's a very good chance that if you answer a thread months (or more) after the original post (or the original string on answers) was made - the original poster may never even see your response.

However, the OP is free to bump their thread at any time - whether it's months or years later. This happens occasionally when they update their situation, thank other members, or even ask for more help in the same thread.

Elysium
January 26th, 2016, 02:50 PM
To add onto what Allison said, we don't delete threads because firstly, that's a lot of extra work for us and secondly, other people should be able to look at it to find their own answers and/or the OP should be able to return at any time.

Vanilla Cupcake
January 26th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Okay thanks for clearing that up for me. :)