PDA

View Full Version : I fainted today

Salad_Baby
January 21st, 2016, 11:30 AM
So today in Biology class I fainted when we were looking at a pair of pig lungs and heart. Strange thing is though is that I wasn't disgusted by them at all. I was happily looking at them and touching them with my hands, but all of a sudden my vision faded, and the next thing I knew I was on the floor.

I've never fainted before in my life, and and have dissected and looked at organs multiple times in the past with absolutely no issue, so why did I faint this time? I was imagining for the slightest second before I fainted about eating the organs, but I would never normally faint over something like that.

Anyone know why this may have happened? I had eaten throughout the day; hadn't had anything to drink, but I do this most days, and haven't fainted as a result.

HououinKiyoma
January 21st, 2016, 12:12 PM
Strange... Maybe your blood sugar levels dropped?

ImagineRepublicCity
January 21st, 2016, 01:24 PM
You wouldn't have to worry too much about it because people faint for lots of things, it could be shock, thirst, hunger, lack of oxygen, Blood sugar levels, something in your brain, weather, etc.

I suppose sometimes it can be as random as my blood noses; it just happens once in a blue moon and you don't even know why.

CuteGuy889
February 4th, 2016, 12:54 AM
I've fainted a few times when I was abt 14...those days I was skinny and didn eat well..
I remember once I had tummy trouble in morning but went to school...In assembly I suddenly had a tummy cramp, started sweating and passed out...
They've carried me to sick room where I came about...
They called my mom and had me picked up cos when I was out I've pooped a bit in myself and my school uni pants and undies had to come off..they gave me a pair of shorts they had about..

But I've not fainted for some tym cos now I eat well, has put on and no longer skinny...so I've got some fat to keep me going..

West Coast Sheriff
February 4th, 2016, 12:56 AM
You could have subconsciously gotten squeamish at the sight/thought of pig organs. If you werent hydrated or were operating on little sleep, those factors could have affected you.

Fiction
February 8th, 2016, 04:28 PM
It could have been a vasovagul episode, although i'd only start worrying about that if it happens again and begins to happen regularly.

In a vasovagul episode your vagus nerve isn't controlling your heart rate and blood pressure effectively, so your heart rate usually increases and your blood pressure drops. It's nothing to worry about, but if it keeps happening you should get it checked out. First of all you want to check it's nothing more serious, and second of all vasovagul syncope can be treated with medication. I've been on medication for something very similar for over 6 years now, and without it I would have literally no quality of life, with it, i'm almost normal!

Karkat
February 8th, 2016, 05:00 PM
It could have been a vasovagul episode, although i'd only start worrying about that if it happens again and begins to happen regularly.

In a vasovagul episode your vagus nerve isn't controlling your heart rate and blood pressure effectively, so your heart rate usually increases and your blood pressure drops. It's nothing to worry about, but if it keeps happening you should get it checked out. First of all you want to check it's nothing more serious, and second of all vasovagul syncope can be treated with medication. I've been on medication for something very similar for over 6 years now, and without it I would have literally no quality of life, with it, i'm almost normal!

Wow, this tells me the doctors in my area really are shit because they told me there was NOTHING they could do about it, and that I should just try to live my life anyways because it'll 'probably go away' and 'isn't that big of a deal'. Nice.

Anyways, @OP, I agree that it could be this. I've had what they call 'syncopal episodes' since I was about 13, I think. Anyways, if it becomes a problem you should see a doctor. (Hopefully one better than the ones I've been to... Yeesh.)

Fiction
February 8th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Wow, this tells me the doctors in my area really are shit because they told me there was NOTHING they could do about it, and that I should just try to live my life anyways because it'll 'probably go away' and 'isn't that big of a deal'. Nice.

Anyways, @OP, I agree that it could be this. I've had what they call 'syncopal episodes' since I was about 13, I think. Anyways, if it becomes a problem you should see a doctor. (Hopefully one better than the ones I've been to... Yeesh.)

I'm actually diagnosed with POTS which isn't exactly the same disorder but it's so similar that they're almost interchangeable (I have been diagnosed with both at different times) and the drug i'm on, midodrine, is implicated as a treatment for both.

Lachy
February 15th, 2016, 03:42 AM
Fainting can be caused by low blood pressure, or low blood sugar. Had you eaten much that day?