PDA

View Full Version : Care for cuts

Fiction
January 18th, 2016, 11:10 AM
I have a pretty deep cut on my thumb that I did 4 days ago now. I went too A&E at the time and they glued it and used steri-strips/butterfly stitches. It's been painful but no evidence of anymore bleeding until I woke up this morning, when it had bled a little again.

I've also been keeping it covered with a wound dressing that i've been changing everyday.

They told me to keep the wound dry for 10 days which I have been doing, but the thing is the steri-strips are now covered in blood again and it really good do with being washed I think, but I really don't want it to start bleeding again, there was an awful lot of blood when it actually happened because I knocked an artery.

Literally no idea what I should be doing with it. Besides changing dressings etc with one hand is pretty difficult.

Anyone know?

Abhorrence
January 18th, 2016, 11:11 AM
You could call 111, since they take non-emergency medical care calls. I wouldn't want to give you the wrong advice and I'm pretty sure you can just call them for some quick guidance - I have before.

Fiction
January 18th, 2016, 01:39 PM
You could call 111, since they take non-emergency medical care calls. I wouldn't want to give you the wrong advice and I'm pretty sure you can just call them for some quick guidance - I have before.

Yeah I hadn't thought of that! Think with 111 is that they're not medically trained at all and quite often mean unnecessary trips to the hospital etc. thanks anyway :)

zack.zack
January 18th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Just do your best to keep it dry and clean, dont worry about the bloody steri strips. Just keep doing what youre doing and if it begins to look infected, go back and let them care for it.

Fiction
January 18th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Just do your best to keep it dry and clean, dont worry about the bloody steri strips. Just keep doing what youre doing and if it begins to look infected, go back and let them care for it.

Keeping it dry is the easy part... But how do I keep it clean while keeping it dry?!

Abyssal Echo
January 18th, 2016, 04:03 PM
I like to build model cars and I'm always nicking or cutting myself with the Exacto knife.
you'll probably hate me because it hurts like hell.. I use apple cider vinegar to clean my wounds. Obviously you could use something a bit more user friendly like hydrogen peroxide. to bandage my cuts I just use a piece of tissue or paper towel then use masking tape to hold the tissue in place until it quits bleeding. don't make it too tight or it'll cut off the blood supply. I hope this helps ya.

zack.zack
January 19th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Keeping it dry is the easy part... But how do I keep it clean while keeping it dry?!

Well, I would use peroxide and a Q-tip to keep it clean and to keep the germs down. Thats how I keep my cuts clean and then I wrap it really tight to keep it dry and safe from dirt

Ajmichael
March 19th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Don't ever use anything like cider or anything to try and clean it. All you need to use is an alcohol wipe or even just water and a strong tissue and gently wipe it, then cover it over. Don't worry about keeping it dry to the extent that you don't wipe it, they mean things like soaking in water in the shower or when you wash your hands.

Hermes
March 26th, 2016, 02:45 PM
For the record if a cut starts to heal but then becomes painful or starts to bleed again after a few days and you haven't banged it or pulled it about you should suspect it has become infected. At that point the choices are to consult a pharmacist to see if there is a topical treatment that would work or visit your doctor.

ImCoolBeans
March 30th, 2016, 07:39 AM
I've never had the glue used on a cut before, so I would recommend calling or asking a doctor or nurse for an opinion before cleaning it, since they said 10 days. I wouldn't wait too long though if it has started bleeding again because that could be a sign or risk of possible infection.