PDA

View Full Version : time management skills

Endeavour
January 12th, 2016, 06:01 PM
Anybody got any time management skills?
I need help in two ways:
Sometimes, it gets to 7pm on a Sunday evening and I'm thinking AHHH I'VE GOT LOADS OF HOMEWORK DUE IN TOMORROW then get really stressed out.
On the other hand, when I do it usually, I'm writing and writing and writing then two hours have passed then the teacher goes 'it was only a 20 minute job'

Advice?

Desuetude
January 13th, 2016, 03:14 PM
That's pretty tricky but the latter is better than the former. Its always better to get it done, even if you've done too much. Helping with time management the only thing I'd say is schedule it in. This takes a lot of self control but its worth it, especially when you're older and get to A-levels, believe me. If schedules dont work for you then maybe dedicate a couple evenings a week to staying at the school library or a public library just to blitz through it. Make a note of all the work youve got and usually teachers will give it on some sort of rota so you should have some kind of an idea of when it needs to be in. Putting yourself in a position where you're forced to do the work instead of being at home and getting distracted is usually the most effective way of getting it done, when it becomes part of the routine it'll just become part of your week.

With the writing too much, I tend to do that too and did the same at school with English and History essays and such. I mean, setting yourself a time limit to complete it in wouldn't be such a bad thing. You could even ask your teacher how long they expect it to take and then just work during that period and stop? Also, planning beforehand can help to condense as you're not rambling about stuff you don't need. Write out the structure and the generic topic of each paragraph etc.

Thats about all the advice I've got for you, I hope that somewhat helped

Endeavour
January 13th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Helping with time management the only thing I'd say is schedule it in. This takes a lot of self control but its worth it, especially when you're older and get to A-levels, believe me. If schedules dont work for you then maybe dedicate a couple evenings a week to staying at the school library or a public library just to blitz through it. Make a note of all the work youve got and usually teachers will give it on some sort of rota so you should have some kind of an idea of when it needs to be in. Putting yourself in a position where you're forced to do the work instead of being at home and getting distracted is usually the most effective way of getting it done, when it becomes part of the routine it'll just become part of your week.

With the writing too much, I tend to do that too and did the same at school with English and History essays and such. I mean, setting yourself a time limit to complete it in wouldn't be such a bad thing. You could even ask your teacher how long they expect it to take and then just work during that period and stop? Also, planning beforehand can help to condense as you're not rambling about stuff you don't need. Write out the structure and the generic topic of each paragraph etc.

Thats about all the advice I've got for you, I hope that somewhat helped

I tried scheduling last year but that fell through after a while. We're not allowed to stay after school generally, and even if I could I would have no way of getting home afterward. I do a lot of extra-curricular stuff so I don't really have time to do it at school anyway.
Most of my teachers do have a rota on what days homework is set and due, but the amount from each teacher varies a lot each week, sometimes it is only a 10 minute task but sometimes it can be a past exam paper (obviously quite a while).
I sometimes try planning what homework I will do on that day, but sometimes teachers are really annoying, like a teacher set a task (through our school website) on new year's day, due in on the first day back.
I did see my English teacher with my excessively long essay (some people had written only half a page, I had written nearly four pages) today but she said that's fine.

northy
January 14th, 2016, 04:35 PM
It's always better to do too much than too little. Try forcing yourself to work by going somewhere with no distractions and not letting yourself leave until you've done it. Also, don't do randomly organised social things when you have work outstanding if you can avoid it.

Endeavour
January 16th, 2016, 03:39 PM
The picture above is from our school homework system (all homework goes online). When I see 'you have 10 active tasks' it really stresses me out! like where do I start? start with the easiest one or the one that is due in first?

DriveAlive
January 16th, 2016, 05:07 PM
As Jack White would say, "Take all of your problems and rip them apart."

What this means is you have to stop looking at it like you have a lot to do, and instead focus on each assignment one at a time. Complete one and move to the next. Budget your time accordingly.

Bull
January 16th, 2016, 05:43 PM
image (http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah277/gregan67/e59b41c0-d639-4ad3-b80f-a90595120018_zpsgl8fvsks.png)
The picture above is from our school homework system (all homework goes online). When I see 'you have 10 active tasks' it really stresses me out! like where do I start? start with the easiest one or the one that is due in first?

Start with the one due first and so on. Saving the easiest for last works for me. And as for a teacher who give an assignment to be done on holiday I have but one word. Can't say it here so I'll just go Boooooooooooooooooo on her.

Endeavour
January 17th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Thank you all for your responses :)
I managed to get 3 done today, so I'm on the right track!

Hudor
January 17th, 2016, 12:48 PM
I would do the one due first. That way you wouldn't have the pressure of the deadline drawing uncomfortably close.

Endeavour
January 17th, 2016, 03:00 PM
I would do the one due first. That way you wouldn't have the pressure of the deadline drawing uncomfortably close.

Thanks.
At my school when you're in the first two years we had these things called ILAs which was one five hour project over the week (the different subjects took turns). I was absolutely rubbish at timekeeping at that, but now we have actual homework its a lot better :)