PDA

View Full Version : thinking about the air force

Babs
January 8th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Okay, so, I've never really expected much of myself. If I worked at mcdonald's for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. I didn't have the greatest upbringing or education, so I never expected myself to do much of anything.

But recently I realized that I could do a lot better for myself than I'd initially planned, which was to get my GED and play it by ear. I'm not stupid, I can pick up on new skills pretty easily, I can do better things.

One thing I'm interested in is electrical and mechanical engineering. I don't know much about it, but I'm starting to learn. One thing that would be an absolute golden learning opportunity for that would be the Air Force. And it would also help me pay for college afterwards.

Now, I've always said I would never ever join the military, but now I'm seriously considering it. And even beyond engineering, it's arguably the most valuable learning experience available to me. My plan currently is to get a regular guy job while I work on getting my GED, and possibly getting some college credits, and then taking the ASVAB until I get a good score before enlisting.

But I'm still not sure if I should do it. Of course, I have plenty of time to think it over, but I'm eager for some input. So what do you think? Do you think it would be a good idea? or at the very least one that would help further my interests?

Rydar8
January 9th, 2016, 12:50 AM
My plan currently is to get a regular guy job while I work on getting my GED, and possibly getting some college credits, and then taking the ASVAB until I get a good score before enlisting.

I think you have a good plan there. Like me, you never wanted to join the military but now, again like me, considering it because it would help your career path. its never a bad idea, and you get free college education after serving, which would help. Only its not a good idea to join the military if you aren't willing to possibly die for your country.

northy
January 10th, 2016, 05:04 AM
I think you have a good plan there. Like me, you never wanted to join the military but now, again like me, considering it because it would help your career path. its never a bad idea, and you get free college education after serving, which would help. Only its not a good idea to join the military if you aren't willing to possibly die for your country.
I'm not sure what country you're talking about, but in the UK, you can have a military job and be stationed as a technician who stays here. In the event of war, that would obviously change though.

Awakened Sin
January 10th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Hello, Satan. I recently enlisted in the Air Force. The benefits are awesome and great. What I recommend you do is just to go talk to an Air Force recruiter. They will tell you more about it. They will NOT force you to sign anything. Go with a parent or friend, so it's less intimidating. Make an appointment first though!

Why I joined the military is for the same reasons you have. Free education, free training, traveling, military discounts, tuition assistance, and more! I am signing for an Electrical job. I'm interested in IT and I'm getting free experience and training for it for when I leave the Air Force. It's really great!

If you have any questions on the Air Force, feel free to ask.

Rydar8
January 10th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure what country you're talking about

oh yeah I was talking about America

Mars
January 10th, 2016, 03:27 PM
That's about the same plan as me lol. I've been looking at the military for a while now because realistically my music career isn't gonna work, and yeah, benefits are fucking sweet. As long as you know what you want to do and your confident that you want to continue with that path, it's all good.

Vocabulous
January 11th, 2016, 12:19 AM
I enlisted in the Air Force in December. As with everything, wether or not the military is a good idea varies person to person. In my case, I didn't have any plans for college, had no idea what to major in, not a very good gpa, and I wanted to travel but didn't have any money. The military had been an option for a long time for me, but I never really considered it seriously until recently. I'd suggest talking to a recruiter, get a feel for what you might want to do, etc. in my case I scored a 93 in the ASVAB and that made every job in the USAF available, so I was able get a contract for my dream job. one where you travel everywhere, you train the same style of martial art that I am currently training, and sets you up well for civilian life afterwards. Really, the traveling, the gi bill and the fact that you can use the skills you learn in the civilian world were the major deciding factors for me. I'm really looking forward to it, and I'd recommend the service to anyone.