PDA

View Full Version : Chatroom

ECSTASY
January 7th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Hey :) Well there used to be a chatroom before , i guess . I had stopped my activity untill a month ago and when i got on i noticed that chatroom section is removed . May i ask the reason? :)

lyhom
January 7th, 2016, 07:31 PM
this is just speculation, but part of the reason is probably due to a lot of browsers refusing to use java based things now, and the chat was java based

StoppingTime
January 7th, 2016, 09:01 PM
this is just speculation, but part of the reason is probably due to a lot of browsers refusing to use java based things now, and the chat was java based

This is the most difficult situation to overcome. With Java 8.x (and most of 7.x, too) Java refuses to work in any environment other than "highly secure" or "omfg why is this so restrictive" mode, which presents issues. One is that the chat we used to use (for now at least) isn't automatically recognized as "safe" so even if we added it back, very few people would be able to use it. And the problem with newer, HTML5 based chats is that they don't integrate with vBulletin (for the most part); especially with 3.8.x.

But I promise you guys we are working on a solution to this. I know you all can't see the progress, but I can assure you something is actively in the works.

northy
January 8th, 2016, 10:38 AM
This is the most difficult situation to overcome. With Java 8.x (and most of 7.x, too) Java refuses to work in any environment other than "highly secure" or "omfg why is this so restrictive" mode, which presents issues. One is that the chat we used to use (for now at least) isn't automatically recognized as "safe" so even if we added it back, very few people would be able to use it. And the problem with newer, HTML5 based chats is that they don't integrate with vBulletin (for the most part); especially with 3.8.x.

But I promise you guys we are working on a solution to this. I know you all can't see the progress, but I can assure you something is actively in the works.

I don't know if you've seen this before but, IRC can be easily integrated into vBulletin. There is a plugin here (https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=256645) and you could just make a channel on freenode.

ECSTASY
January 8th, 2016, 12:28 PM

I don't know if you've seen this before but, IRC can be easily integrated into vBulletin. There is a plugin here (https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=256645) and you could just make a channel on freenode.

I actually agree with northy :) IRC might be the best choice . I've missed talking to lots of old VT friends here :c

Microcosm
January 8th, 2016, 07:12 PM
What about the Chatroom on GovTeen? Couldn't VT implement a similar system.

Maverick
January 9th, 2016, 08:24 AM
#Bringbackflashchat

Mars
January 9th, 2016, 09:26 AM
#Bringbackflashchat
^this guy knows wtf is up :lol:

PoseidonX43
January 11th, 2016, 12:37 AM
#Bringbackflashchat

Or.

#BringBackTheShoutBox

(even though that will probably never happen, for a long time.)

northy
January 11th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I actually agree with northy :) IRC might be the best choice . I've missed talking to lots of old VT friends here :c

I'm not sure what the moderators would think of this, but we could make an unofficial VT IRC channel on Freenode as a temporary (maybe permanent seeing how long it is taking to fix the normal one) solution? Any takers?

ECSTASY
January 11th, 2016, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure what the moderators would think of this, but we could make an unofficial VT IRC channel on Freenode as a temporary (maybe permanent seeing how long it is taking to fix the normal one) solution? Any takers?

I haven't done this before , but i guess i can make it happen , so I'm in :)
But i guess less people will join :c

northy
January 11th, 2016, 12:54 PM
I haven't done this before , but i guess i can make it happen , so I'm in :)
But i guess less people will join :c

We could just move to the official one once they got it working again. I'll have a look into getting one setup.

NB: Mods, if this goes against any rules, please say so.

Endeavour
January 11th, 2016, 01:48 PM
We could just move to the official one once they got it working again. I'll have a look into getting one setup.

NB: Mods, if this goes against any rules, please say so.

There is currently a 'fake' chatroom in microcosm's diary (see my sig) who had a thread about having a seperate chatroom on a different website (now deleted)

The mods replied who said having a external chatroom is a no, it is too difficult to operate from a moderation point of view.

Just wait, it was being tested a few weeks ago, it should be ready soon.

azure moonstone
January 11th, 2016, 03:23 PM
The mods replied who said having a external chatroom is a no, it is too difficult to operate from a moderation point of view.

Just wait, it was being tested a few weeks ago, it should be ready soon.

Both statements are correct, yes. :)

Trust me - I know most everyone wants the chatroom back (myself included), but like adventitious said...we have certain requirements that need to be met for moderation and safety purposes, so unfortunately we can't allow links to a chatroom that can't effectively be moderated by the VT Staff.

I'm positive that the VT chatroom will be back very soon.

ZacTheZebra
January 12th, 2016, 04:29 PM
Chatroom closed

Endeavour
January 12th, 2016, 04:35 PM
For now we can all chat here if it gets too much ill just close it
-edited. -Emerald Dream

Have you not just read what Emerald Dream has written above, and indeed in the rest of the thread?
A external chatroom has been suggested before and not allowed by the admin
Putting the password on here allows anyone to access it, so that's not a good idea.
The old chatroom was only accessible to members, so they could check who is there. That's why we have the age 19 limit on here
By the way you're not a mod so I don't think they would be happy with you being the manager anyway, even if it was allowed.

ZacTheZebra
January 12th, 2016, 04:38 PM
its fine i just closed the chatroom

Human
January 16th, 2016, 08:45 PM
#FreeChatroom2016
I'm excited for it to hopefully come back lmao

ECSTASY
January 18th, 2016, 04:18 PM
#FreeChatroom2016
I'm excited for it to hopefully come back lmao

Same here .

xXl0sth0peXx
January 18th, 2016, 07:32 PM
Honestly, I don't know what I can say at this point, because everytime I think I have a time frame for something, I turn out to be wrong for some reason. However, I can confindentially state this: We purchased a chat. And we're working to get it set up, but it's not exactly as easy as cut+paste or something. Would I love it up tonight? Sure. Would I love it up a month ago? Absolutely. It will make its way up as soon as we get it situated. guaranteed.

Ragle
February 8th, 2016, 02:05 PM
uhmm ... the chat works. I'm just in it.

Plane And Simple
February 8th, 2016, 02:39 PM
uhmm ... the chat works. I'm just in it.

You might be using the Tapatalk chatroom, which might be available. The VT website chat is not online.

Ragle
February 8th, 2016, 02:55 PM
You might be using the Tapatalk chatroom, which might be available. The VT website chat is not online.

Ok, maybe ... But I just read "Chat Room, Virtual Teen Forums"

Endeavour
February 8th, 2016, 03:04 PM
they haven't put it on the main bar because they don't want anyone on it yet (correct me if I am wrong)

azure moonstone
February 8th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Ok, maybe ... But I just read "Chat Room, Virtual Teen Forums"

they haven't put it on the main bar because they don't want anyone on it yet (correct me if I am wrong)

Plane And Simple is correct - the chat is not fully operational

We are still working on getting the kinks out of the system, and hopefully it will be up soon.

Ragle
February 8th, 2016, 03:24 PM

If so, the moderator should've point it out to me as she came into the chat. :confused:

Mars
February 8th, 2016, 03:25 PM
If so, the moderator should've point it out to me as she came into the chat. :confused:

We were checking how the java worked between browsers and users. Like Emerald Dream said, the chat is not fully operational, so please keep links out of discussion.

Murk.T.M
February 10th, 2016, 03:30 AM
The chat exists I went to it earlier but I don't know how to use it. I have never before.

Endeavour
February 10th, 2016, 11:35 AM
The chat exists I went to it earlier but I don't know how to use it. I have never before.

Because you are new, it was disabled quite a while ago (before I joined) because of security I think. You shouldn't have really been on there anyway when they were testing it the other day.