PDA

View Full Version : Exploding head syndrome!

Vanilla Cupcake
January 7th, 2016, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this, but I have this and I was just wondering if anyone else does?

It's where you hear loud sounds, like a Big Bang, as your falling asleep and or as your waking up. It's very scary, it's very real sounding and it freaks me out, but it's all in my head, there really is no sound.

You can google it, it's a real syndrome.

jft96
January 7th, 2016, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this, but I have this and I was just wondering if anyone else does?

It's where you hear loud sounds, like a Big Bang, as your falling asleep and or as your waking up. It's very scary, it's very real sounding and it freaks me out, but it's all in my head, there really is no sound.

You can google it, it's a real syndrome.

I never heard Big Bang or something like that,but sometimes i hear whistle and screaming,weird but true

Vanilla Cupcake
January 7th, 2016, 11:20 AM
I never heard Big Bang or something like that,but sometimes i hear whistle and screaming,weird but true

Oh interesting! I have a fan on when I sleep for background noise and as soon as I turn it on I hear music. Like a radio playing and I can barely make out the words if any, and it's music I have never heard before! :what:

Abhorrence
January 7th, 2016, 01:39 PM
This is pretty interesting, I can't say I've ever heard of this. Sounds like it can be a pain in the ass though. Does it affect your sleep at all?

Mars
January 7th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Just looked that up. That's pretty interesting actually. I thought initially it would be caused by some type of PTSD or anxiety or something but a lot of the causes aren't that.

Vanilla Cupcake
January 7th, 2016, 06:11 PM
This is pretty interesting, I can't say I've ever heard of this. Sounds like it can be a pain in the ass though. Does it affect your sleep at all?

It doesn't affect my sleep, it just scares me!

Just looked that up. That's pretty interesting actually. I thought initially it would be caused by some type of PTSD or anxiety or something but a lot of the causes aren't that.

Did you happen to read what causes it because I haven't found any answers?

Double posts merged. - Abhorrence.

Mars
January 7th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Did you happen to read what causes it because I haven't found any answers?
Though the causes of EHS are not known, there are currently a few theories to explain its causes:

Experts believe that EHS occurs due to the brain having problems when shutting down areas of the brain in preparation of sleep. Usually, different parts of the brain (such as auditory, motor, and visual neurons) shut off in different stages. With EHS, the auditory neurons may instead be activated all at once instead of shutting down properly, causing the abrupt, and often jarring, auditory hallucination. In addition, it is also postulated that with EHS, there is a delay in selected areas of the reticular formation.[13]
Minor seizures affecting the temporal lobe[3]
Sudden shifts in middle ear components[3]
Sensory variant of a hypnic jerk or sleep start[14]
Stress and anxiety[15]
Variable and broken sleep, associated with a decline in delta sleep[10]
^ these from Wikipedia

Vanilla Cupcake
January 7th, 2016, 06:34 PM
^ these from Wikipedia

Wow that's interesting! Why the heck did that not come up when I searched it?
I wonder if my other issue are somehow tied in with this too.

I faint a lot!

jft96
January 8th, 2016, 04:28 AM
I hope its just stress

Paraxiom
January 8th, 2016, 12:23 PM
There was one time in 2008 when I woke up because I heard a smoke alarm go off. It didn't for anyone else though. Not saying it qualifies for the syndrome, but anyhow it's an interesting thing.