PDA

View Full Version : Scared of injection at school!!

Endeavour
January 5th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Here in the UK when you're in Year 10 (age 14-15) you get two injections at school, that are boosters to what you get when you are a baby.

It sounds ridiculous but I am really scared, and feel like I am just going to burst out crying in the hall!

Any ideas on how to 'calm my nerves'?

MathewB NL
January 5th, 2016, 02:12 PM
get high

Desuetude
January 5th, 2016, 02:29 PM
They gave the girls 3 in year 8 for cervical cancer, people were freaking out then too.

Honestly, they're fine. Fear of injections is pretty common so don't worry about it seeming stupid, I bet a lot of people are worried but there's no reason to be. Right beforehand I get a little nervous and deep breathing and keeping my mind blank calms me down a lot, then afterwards you wonder what you were freaking out over! My sister was extremely scared and I held her hand and talked to her whilst she had hers done, that seemed to help tremendously, so having a trusted friend who will calm your nerves close by might be an idea.

You need to try to keep your mind rational. Every single person in your year is getting the injection. Absolutely NOTHING is going to go wrong, its only going to keep you safe. If you think of something that scares you, rationalise your thoughts and remember nothing bad will happen.

northy
January 5th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Seriously people.

Just don't look, you can barely feel them. It's not like they want to cut your arm off.
Also, if you cry you will be the laughing stock of your year, trust me I've seen it happen to people. Keep that in mind and stay strong. It is never as bad as you think it is going to be.

phuckphace
January 5th, 2016, 06:19 PM
last injection I had hurt like a bitch, actually. wasn't expecting it to be so painful but it was. I said "ow ow ow ow OOOOWWWWW" and then my entire arm was sore until I popped a couple chewable ibuprofen. I'd recommend that.

also I don't recommend getting high (weed) because a ganja high can actually make some kinds of pain more intense. I can't blaze it when my cavities flare up or I'll start screaming

Porpoise101
January 5th, 2016, 06:50 PM
I like shots, so should you

Desuetude
January 5th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Seriously people.

Just don't look, you can barely feel them. It's not like they want to cut your arm off.
Also, if you cry you will be the laughing stock of your year, trust me I've seen it happen to people. Keep that in mind and stay strong. It is never as bad as you think it is going to be.
You can't help what you're afraid of. No point in making fun and telling someone to 'buck up'. Lots of people are afraid of spiders, you don't get daddy long legs all up in your face eating your eyeballs, its irrational essentially. Constructive advice helps, stating that he'll be the laughing stock of the school isn't going to calm anyones nerves.

Jinglebottom
January 5th, 2016, 10:24 PM
I used to be mortified of injections as a kid (one time, I went as far as running away from the hospital into the streets, but they managed to catch me). I still am, but I definitely control my fear better than before.

Dygarde
January 6th, 2016, 01:15 AM
Best advice I have is don't look at the needle and start thinking about something else. The Provider will tell you when it's over with. I'm still terrified of getting shots but as I am a medically trained technician I can give myself the shot.

sabbi
January 6th, 2016, 03:57 AM
Terrified of them but as others mentioned just don't look at the needle. It works for me anyway.

northy
January 6th, 2016, 03:56 PM
You can't help what you're afraid of. No point in making fun and telling someone to 'buck up'. Lots of people are afraid of spiders, you don't get daddy long legs all up in your face eating your eyeballs, its irrational essentially. Constructive advice helps, stating that he'll be the laughing stock of the school isn't going to calm anyones nerves.
I used to be scared of them. I still hate needles. Some stuff you have to deal with.

Andrew02
January 7th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Good luck, i have to get some as well but at least it's not at school in front of my friends.

northy
January 7th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Good luck, i have to get some as well but at least it's not at school in front of my friends.

Good point actually, adventitious you can ask for your injections to be done privately at your GP, perhaps this would make things a little less scary? You'll have to tell your parents and I expect that there is some consent form to say that you have already had it so that the school don't give it to you again.

Vanilla Cupcake
January 7th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Pretend in your mind that your doing it as a dare and that everyone does it, then maybe it will trick your mind. Lol
I've had tons of needles, and really, it's so fast and it hurts way less then falling off your bike or burning your finger. It's really not bad at all.
I have this thing that I do when I hurt myself, and I say out loud, I love that the pain, give me more! Lol and then the pain hurts way less. Hahahah, kinda silly but it works for me.

Splat
January 7th, 2016, 07:10 PM
I used to be mortified of injections as a kid (one time, I went as far as running away from the hospital into the streets, but they managed to catch me). I still am, but I definitely control my fear better than before.
Omg so did I! But my dad caught me before I got into the street
Here in the UK when you're in Year 10 (age 14-15) you get two injections at school, that are boosters to what you get when you are a baby.

It sounds ridiculous but I am really scared, and feel like I am just going to burst out crying in the hall!

Any ideas on how to 'calm my nerves'?
Hey, I'm in year 11 so I've gone through the 3 year 8 jabs and the two year 10.
I think the best thing to do is think about things you enjoy like for example I enjoy sailing so I thought about if I was sailing in the Olympics (crazy I know!) And believe me - I was terrified but of course, I didn't show it 😜
You could also talk to the nurse and start up a little convo to distract yourself. I find this also helped. But just remember these things if you haven't already been told:

1) even if you never have breakfast, you MUST, and I can't stress it enough. The shock of the needles going in is enough to make you pass out if you don't have energy in you (it happened to a lot of people here).

2) if you are ill make sure you tell the nurse in case you need to have it another day. You ought to know this from Biology but when your body is trying to fight off the illness, the immune system is down and so adding more things for your body to fight off can make you really ill (even though the stuff in the needle is weak). I thought I only had a small cold in 2014 but it meant that I ended up with a really nasty cold that kept me in bed for most of the Christmas holidays.

But remember, these things are helping to protect you so one little injection is nothing compared to what the diseases are.

tovaris
January 8th, 2016, 01:43 PM
dont look while they do it, also a beer before mght help

last injection I had hurt like a bitch, actually. wasn't expecting it to be so painful but it was. I said "ow ow ow ow OOOOWWWWW" and then my entire arm was sore un/.../

Was it a tetanus shot? i got that last year, hurt after like a bitch...

Melodic
January 8th, 2016, 02:59 PM
I'm terrified of shots as well.

Bring something to grip on with your other arm and look the other way. It will be over in a snap. :)

Deleted User
January 9th, 2016, 02:28 PM
"Get high, have a beer..." Really people? Come on, grow up. Not only is that potentially dangerous while having what does count as a medical procedure but one's illegal and one's underage.

First off, people are right in saying it'll be over before you know it. Don't look, focus on something else. If you can cause a different physical sensation (I used to gently bite my tongue or pinch the skin between my thumb and forefinger) right beforehand, your body doesn't register the second one quite as much. I wouldn't recommend doing that forever but it did help when I was younger.

Second, it is possible to get it done privately by your own doctor so long as they provide the documentation to back it up. Schools like to do it in masses because it's easy to record who was there and who wasn't but if you're concerned, seeing your own GP seems like a good idea.

You'll be fine. We've all had it done and it's better for you to do it ASAP in the long run.

Endeavour
January 10th, 2016, 03:14 PM
"Get high, have a beer..." Really people? Come on, grow up. Not only is that potentially dangerous while having what does count as a medical procedure but one's illegal and one's underage.

First off, people are right in saying it'll be over before you know it. Don't look, focus on something else. If you can cause a different physical sensation (I used to gently bite my tongue or pinch the skin between my thumb and forefinger) right beforehand, your body doesn't register the second one quite as much. I wouldn't recommend doing that forever but it did help when I was younger.

Second, it is possible to get it done privately by your own doctor so long as they provide the documentation to back it up. Schools like to do it in masses because it's easy to record who was there and who wasn't but if you're concerned, seeing your own GP seems like a good idea.

You'll be fine. We've all had it done and it's better for you to do it ASAP in the long run.

I'm terrified of shots as well.

Bring something to grip on with your other arm and look the other way. It will be over in a snap. :)

Omg so did I! But my dad caught me before I got into the street

Hey, I'm in year 11 so I've gone through the 3 year 8 jabs and the two year 10.
I think the best thing to do is think about things you enjoy like for example I enjoy sailing so I thought about if I was sailing in the Olympics (crazy I know!) And believe me - I was terrified but of course, I didn't show it 😜
You could also talk to the nurse and start up a little convo to distract yourself. I find this also helped. But just remember these things if you haven't already been told:

1) even if you never have breakfast, you MUST, and I can't stress it enough. The shock of the needles going in is enough to make you pass out if you don't have energy in you (it happened to a lot of people here).

2) if you are ill make sure you tell the nurse in case you need to have it another day. You ought to know this from Biology but when your body is trying to fight off the illness, the immune system is down and so adding more things for your body to fight off can make you really ill (even though the stuff in the needle is weak). I thought I only had a small cold in 2014 but it meant that I ended up with a really nasty cold that kept me in bed for most of the Christmas holidays.

But remember, these things are helping to protect you so one little injection is nothing compared to what the diseases are.

They gave the girls 3 in year 8 for cervical cancer, people were freaking out then too.

Honestly, they're fine. Fear of injections is pretty common so don't worry about it seeming stupid, I bet a lot of people are worried but there's no reason to be. Right beforehand I get a little nervous and deep breathing and keeping my mind blank calms me down a lot, then afterwards you wonder what you were freaking out over! My sister was extremely scared and I held her hand and talked to her whilst she had hers done, that seemed to help tremendously, so having a trusted friend who will calm your nerves close by might be an idea.

You need to try to keep your mind rational. Every single person in your year is getting the injection. Absolutely NOTHING is going to go wrong, its only going to keep you safe. If you think of something that scares you, rationalise your thoughts and remember nothing bad will happen.

Best advice I have is don't look at the needle and start thinking about something else. The Provider will tell you when it's over with. I'm still terrified of getting shots but as I am a medically trained technician I can give myself the shot.

Thank you all :)
Hopefully I'll be alright.

Andrew02
January 19th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Hey, how did your shots go?

Endeavour
January 27th, 2016, 02:51 PM

Hey! Haven't had them yet. We have them on wednesday (3rd feb) i think.

Splat
January 27th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Just thought I'd let you know.
We just had another meningitis jab today (y11) for more strands of meningitis. The year 10 one is meningitis C, tetanus and polio if I remember.
So yeah, just thought I'd add that in case you get it too

Endeavour
January 27th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Just thought I'd let you know.
We just had another meningitis jab today (y11) for more strands of meningitis. The year 10 one is meningitis C, tetanus and polio if I remember.
So yeah, just thought I'd add that in case you get it too

I remember asking the school nurse about this. The one they gave to year 10 last year (so you now in y11) only had meningitis c but they've done a new vaccine for the years y10 with meningitis a, c, w and y I think

Splat
January 27th, 2016, 07:05 PM
I remember asking the school nurse about this. The one they gave to year 10 last year (so you now in y11) only had meningitis c but they've done a new vaccine for the years y10 with meningitis a, c, w and y I think

Ah yeah of course! Y9 Y10 and Y11 had this one. Nevermind then. So the new one has basically what I had last year + today's then?

eric2001
January 27th, 2016, 07:41 PM
It will be over quick so it's nothing to worry about. You hurt yourself worse with pain lots of times.

Andrew02
January 27th, 2016, 08:05 PM

Cool, good luck. Since its at school do they do them with everyone watching or do they call you one at a time?

lliam
January 27th, 2016, 08:18 PM

I bet he survived.

btw: I never was afraid of needles, although if a injection some times caused pain. So, don't blame the needle, but the one who administered the injection. :D

Endeavour
January 28th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Ah yeah of course! Y9 Y10 and Y11 had this one. Nevermind then. So the new one has basically what I had last year + today's then?

Aye :)

Unknwn
January 28th, 2016, 05:05 PM
I'm terrified of needles, so when I get injections, I just try to stay calm as best as I can. I've heard that tensing up can actually make it hurt more, so I just try to relax as best as I can, I close my eyes, count in my head or think of a song of just keep my mind occupied somehow for those few seconds, and then it's done before I know it. I'm still terrified of them though :P

Andrew02
February 1st, 2016, 12:39 PM
Cool good luck. Just had a bunch. Meningitis wasn't too bad but the tetanus and HPV shots HURT. Flu shot wasn't too bad either. Both arms hurt for a couple of days after.

Endeavour
February 3rd, 2016, 11:46 AM
Had them today. Actually wasn't painful at all. Plus I got to miss two lessons because I was waiting! :)

amgb
February 16th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Locked at OP's request:locked: