PDA

View Full Version : Feeling unreal, derealisation, etc...

CcRoder
February 9th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Does anyone ever experience the derealisation that accompanies a panic attack sometimes? Even without a panic attack it can happen.

Like, you feel like you're an observer and not a participator, that what's around you isn't real or everything is in a mist or a fog.

Sometimes you can have a conversation, then all of a sudden forget that you weren't even interested and you can forget what you said. Things like that

Miserabilia
February 9th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I know exactly what you mean! It's hard to explain but I know how you feel.

Faolan
February 12th, 2014, 12:34 AM
All the time. My friends call it being spacey, but it's not the same thing.

ksdnfkfr
February 12th, 2014, 12:57 AM
Oh yes, happens to me all the time. its so freaking weird.
Often triggers a panic attack or even a sensory meltdown.

Tarannosaurus
February 15th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Does anyone ever experience the derealisation that accompanies a panic attack sometimes? Even without a panic attack it can happen.

Like, you feel like you're an observer and not a participator, that what's around you isn't real or everything is in a mist or a fog.

Sometimes you can have a conversation, then all of a sudden forget that you weren't even interested and you can forget what you said. Things like that

It happens to me, and it's quite common. It's a coping mechanism of your body to distance you from distressing events. But of course, then it can get in the way of everyday life such as (as you mentioned) conversations. If you find that it's interfering it might be a good idea to start seeing a counsellor who can teach you new ways of coping and solving problems.

AlexOnToast
February 15th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Actually happens to me occasionally. I feel suddenly zoned out as if I'm watching it on DVD but not really paying attention. Ive never had a PA tho...

CcRoder
February 16th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Yeah it's important to note the difference between this and zoning out. They're completely different things.

This is diagnosed, and managed, so I don't worry so much. It just is an absolute pain when you're in school or attempting to have a conversation with someone. Especially in school. You got nowhere to go if you should begin panicking.

Tyler610
February 21st, 2014, 11:36 PM
It's the worst! Especially when you are fully aware you in a dream like state but you can't snap out of it

JamesSuperBoy
February 21st, 2014, 11:43 PM

I know one person who is like this - he told me.

LunaLiuna
February 22nd, 2014, 06:14 PM

I get this whenever I step out of the house, it's horrible.

It causes me to do/say stupid things because I'm so hypersensitive to every movement.

It's our brains way of saying 'Ok I've had enough I'm going to sleep' when we're experiencing too much sensory input.

Karkat
February 22nd, 2014, 06:30 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about. Yes, I do experience this.

backjruton
February 23rd, 2014, 09:09 AM
I feel this a lot some times but I don't ever think I've had a panic attack although I actually wouldn't know XD

CcRoder
February 27th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure if this is something that cognitive behavioural therapy can fix...or if it's medication that could fix it.

I was recommended a low-dosage of anti-depressants, but I didn't want to even go near it. To be honest, I was afraid of taking them. Which can be blamed on anxiety but I can't see how it'd help. I don't always believe in medication if something can be fixed without it.

Human
March 10th, 2014, 03:47 PM
I dissociated earlier when I was triggered by my gf talking to another guy in a way which made me feel like they were flirting. It's a way people cope with their triggers, because if you can't feel anything, and can't hear anything else, your mind is protected from the continuation of a trigger

Rockshe
April 2nd, 2014, 07:24 AM
i have felt this plenty of times i just randomly get a feeling like what if this is all fake or maybe ill be in a void