PDA

View Full Version : Trapped Finger Car Door

Abbeys
January 3rd, 2016, 03:33 PM
I stupidly slammed a car door while my index finger was still on the inside!!!

The finger isn't broken but the nail is completely black and the top of the finger is swollen and a purple/blue colour.

It's very painful to the touch and I'm taking pain killers.

I didn't seek medical advice cos I figured there was nothing they could do.

i ran cold water on it when I got home and put some ice on it.

Anybody else done this and what was the outcome?

Elysium
January 3rd, 2016, 03:41 PM
Ouch, that sounds painful. I've seen people who've done similar things to themselves and they had that black bit under their nail too (it's blood, I think) and they all said that they just had to let the nail grow out and it'd go away with time. I'm not sure if there's anything else you can do for it. I did a quick Google search for you; these links may help: [x (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/nail-problems-and-injuries-topic-overview)] [x (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/bleeding-under-nail)]

Exotic Babe
January 3rd, 2016, 03:50 PM
Ouch, have been there myself. Can't remember anything other than putting it under cold water (which you already did) and waiting for the pain to go away and the nail to grow out.

Vermilion
January 3rd, 2016, 03:51 PM
Ouch, that sounds painful. I've seen people who've done similar things to themselves and they had that black bit under their nail too (it's blood, I think) and they all said that they just had to let the nail grow out and it'd go away with time. I'm not sure if there's anything else you can do for it. I did a quick Google search for you; these links may help: [x (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/nail-problems-and-injuries-topic-overview)] [x (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/bleeding-under-nail)]

The black part is blood :) I personal drain the blood under the nail by using a pin.

Abbeys
January 3rd, 2016, 04:31 PM

Thank you that's very kind of you.

Abbey

Ouch, have been there myself. Can't remember anything other than putting it under cold water (which you already did) and waiting for the pain to go away and the nail to grow out.

Thank you!!

Abbey.

The black part is blood :) I personal drain the blood under the nail by using a pin.

Thanks Tom.

I don't think I'm brave enough to do that.

Abbey.

Posts merged. Next time, please use the "Edit" or "Multi" button. ~Elysium

lliam
January 3rd, 2016, 04:55 PM
I once hit me using a hammer. The doc then took a paper clip, heated it with the flame of a lighter and burned a hole in the affected fingernail, so the accumulated blood could leak. That was it.

Uniquemind
January 3rd, 2016, 08:53 PM
That's something you must see a doctor for.

A friend of mine did that years ago as a kid, and I to this day consciously close car doors.

Dygarde
January 4th, 2016, 12:00 AM
If it's not broke then the only thing to worry about is accidentally hitting it because that hurts pretty bad. Ibuprofen will take swelling down. If you want, get someone to hear a pin/paper clip and let the blood out. Generally speaking for the next few months to a few years the nail may not grow back correctly.

Shiny Moon
January 4th, 2016, 01:27 AM
Just be careful for now. If the pain goes on for too long you should go to the hospital.

northy
January 4th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Ouch. It's likely the nail will fall out at some point. Don't be alarmed by this, it's the body's way of dealing with the trauma to the affected area.

Exotic Babe
January 4th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Yeah, the nail may fall out, but it also may not (didn't happen to any of my 3 fingers I trapped there lol). However, even if it does, a new nail will grow and it shouldn't be anything too bad :)

Hudor
January 4th, 2016, 07:58 AM
It sucks. I have experienced this along with some uhh similar experiences revolving around one of my fingers deciding to hide behind closing doors when everything else is outside/inside. I didn't do much except put it under cold water for a while and bandage the cut parts.
The blackness is due to congealed blood. Your finger will hopefully be less painful in a few days.

amgb
January 5th, 2016, 08:38 AM
I've done this a couple of times, but not to the point of my fingernail going black. I only bruised my finger a little bit but I still put ice to it because it was pretty sore. I think the blackness of the nail could be the blood pooling into that area, hopefully the color and bruising will fade soon. Don't take too many pain-killers unless you really need it, apparently it can increase pain sensitivity if you take too much. In the meantime, maybe keep putting ice packs to it like 3 or more times a day and if it's still swollen wrap it in an elastic bandage (but not too tightly otherwise it could make the swelling worse). I hope your finger's feeling better~

Abbeys
January 5th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Hi All!!!

Just a quick update.

First off I would just like to thank you all for your advice, encouragement and reassurance.

The pain and the swelling got really bad and I felt I had no choice but to go to the doctors.
The doc stuck a sterile needle in to the finger and the swelling reduced considerably as did the pain.there was lots of blood but it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

I've been given antibiotics and told the nail will drop off but thats far better than the potential septicaemia if I hadn't got it sorted!!

So again I want to say thank you and how impressed I have been with the helpful replies and nobody said how stupid I was to slam the door on my finger in the first place.

Abbey

XXXX

tovaris
January 8th, 2016, 01:53 PM
The nail should be pulled off, preferably by a doctor. desinfect and dont use too much for a week or so

Uniquemind
January 8th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Hi All!!!

Just a quick update.

First off I would just like to thank you all for your advice, encouragement and reassurance.

The pain and the swelling got really bad and I felt I had no choice but to go to the doctors.
The doc stuck a sterile needle in to the finger and the swelling reduced considerably as did the pain.there was lots of blood but it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

I've been given antibiotics and told the nail will drop off but thats far better than the potential septicaemia if I hadn't got it sorted!!

So again I want to say thank you and how impressed I have been with the helpful replies and nobody said how stupid I was to slam the door on my finger in the first place.

Abbey

XXXX

Whew. But see my advice was rock solid wasn't it? A doctor was necessary.