PDA

View Full Version : First Car

northy
January 1st, 2016, 01:43 PM
Hi,
I turn 17 this year and have been looking at the price of insurance. It's stupidly high.
What car did you lot have, cheap insurance please. I might get an Austin Mini as the insurance is only 900, which compared to 4000 for a Land Rover is cheap.

Cognizant
January 4th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Insurance companies will usually factor Age, Gender, Years experience of driving, annual miles, accident/ticket history, type of car you wish to insure, age of car, and the value of the car to determine your premium.

I don't know about cars in the European market, but my first actual car was a 2004 Toyota Camry that was worth $5000 when I got it. My dad pays monthly payments of around $215 USD for it, but if I wanted to get myself a $19,000 2012 Toyota Camry with a V6, it could easily be $300 each month. And I never reported my accident, otherwise I'm sure that would've caused my rates to hike up.

Also factor in how much coverage you want. The less coverage, the cheaper. But that could come at a price if you're ever in a serious accident and you injure somebody/yourself, or your car gets hit by an uninsured driver. I have full coverage with $100,000/$300,000 payout for each injured person's medical bills

Plane And Simple
January 4th, 2016, 03:29 PM
I'm having our BMW 320d but that isn't exactly cheap. My mom drives a VW Polo 1.4 75hp and that is sure pretty cheap to run and insure.

northy
January 11th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Insurance companies will usually factor Age, Gender, Years experience of driving, annual miles, accident/ticket history, type of car you wish to insure, age of car, and the value of the car to determine your premium.

I don't know about cars in the European market, but my first actual car was a 2004 Toyota Camry that was worth $5000 when I got it. My dad pays monthly payments of around $215 USD for it, but if I wanted to get myself a $19,000 2012 Toyota Camry with a V6, it could easily be $300 each month. And I never reported my accident, otherwise I'm sure that would've caused my rates to hike up.

Also factor in how much coverage you want. The less coverage, the cheaper. But that could come at a price if you're ever in a serious accident and you injure somebody/yourself, or your car gets hit by an uninsured driver. I have full coverage with $100,000/$300,000 payout for each injured person's medical bills
I was talking about as cheap as it would legally be to drive for the 900, so 3rd party only etc.

Cognizant
January 14th, 2016, 03:24 AM
I was talking about as cheap as it would legally be to drive for the 900, so 3rd party only etc.

Well that's at your discretion. I personally think that beginner drivers should have higher insurance, as they're statistically more likely to crash their cars. I had my first major accident at age 18, and I've had several minor incidents (like backing into other cars or nearly rear ending people). I'd say it's because we're not as experienced, or we have bad habits we haven't broken... I have a really bad habit of using my cell phone while driving, even though I use Siri and am looking at the road it's still dangerous. Unless you literally just drive on city streets under 70kph and are good about never breaking the rules of the road, I'd highly recommend getting better insurance than the legal minimum on a car you wouldn't cry if you totaled.

northy
January 14th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Well that's at your discretion. I personally think that beginner drivers should have higher insurance, as they're statistically more likely to crash their cars. I had my first major accident at age 18, and I've had several minor incidents (like backing into other cars or nearly rear ending people). I'd say it's because we're not as experienced, or we have bad habits we haven't broken... I have a really bad habit of using my cell phone while driving, even though I use Siri and am looking at the road it's still dangerous. Unless you literally just drive on city streets under 70kph and are good about never breaking the rules of the road, I'd highly recommend getting better insurance than the legal minimum on a car you wouldn't cry if you totaled.

I'm already crying at the thought of 900 a year!

ChunkyTeen
May 17th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Yeah, Insurance rates in UK are very high !