PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and Dragons anyone??

BookSmart
January 1st, 2016, 01:30 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of D&D, and while I know it's technically not something having to do with technology or internet, I was wondering if any of you fellow nerds play? I've been in several campaigns, and in my current campaign I've made it up to lvl 10 as a gnome wizard (there have been so many gnome puns made). I was wondering what any of your experience has been playing? Any Dms out there? Crazy stories from playing (I'll spare you mine for now).

Anyways, I'd love to talk about it with you :)

DriveAlive
January 1st, 2016, 01:32 PM
I have never played (do not know anyone that does) but I have secretly always wanted to play.

Kahn
January 1st, 2016, 02:11 PM
I have never played (do not know anyone that does) but I have secretly always wanted to play.

This is exactly how I feel about the game.

My eldest brother, who just got a job teaching English to 7th and 8th graders, set up a D&D club for his school as one of his first orders of business. A lot of the kids who don't do sports, or don't really have any connections to the school in any extracurricular or personal sort of way, really flock to it.

If VT ever got a D&D game going I'd be willing to learn how to play, so I can partake.

BookSmart
January 1st, 2016, 02:35 PM
This is exactly how I feel about the game.

My eldest brother, who just got a job teaching English to 7th and 8th graders, set up a D&D club for his school as one of his first orders of business. A lot of the kids who don't do sports, or don't really have any connections to the school in any extracurricular or personal sort of way, really flock to it.

If VT ever got a D&D game going I'd be willing to learn how to play, so I can partake.

I'd love to try and get a game going! But it'd be rather complicated to run online ):

It is an extremely fun game though, and if you are able to gather a couple friends together, it would be a fun learning experience! A lot of schools have clubs, like a tabletop gaming club, and if you head there, there might be experienced players!

There are really detailed handbooks and guides for learning how to play, but essentially it's up to the players how everything goes!

Deleted User
January 1st, 2016, 03:01 PM
I'd love to try and get a game going! But it'd be rather complicated to run online ):

There is actually an online platform called Roll20 that allows players of multiple tabletop RPGs to play their games online. I'm currently in one as a level 2 half-elven rogue. Plenty of fun to be had. The only "complicated" part is the fact I have to keep my Roll20 player sheet consistent with my physical copy in my D&D binder.

In my current campaign, however, we did manage to get a horse for free by convincing the farmer that our cleric was on a vision quest for her god who demanded this one specific horse. There were a lot of cantrips and illusions involved, enough to scare the farmer into handing over the horse so her god wouldn't smite him. Also, my rogue has somehow become the party treasurer despite being a thief and my first roll of the night was a natural 20 to pick a drunk, racist dude's pocket. So that went well.

I'm also starting a new local campaign as DM. We're going to start it off as a one-shot since most of the players are new to the game or 5th edition (which I prefer to use for newbies since it's pretty streamlined for roleplaying instead of complicated combat). I'm currently writing a campaign where each quest will be based off of a well-known fairytale but it's up to the players to figure out each one and how to solve the main conflict. I'll be basing the one-shot off of Beauty and the Beast and there will be a number of "solutions" to the problem.

Also, for new players, the player's handbooks are your friend but it's mostly about good communication with other players and especially your DM. A lot use home-brew rules and are willing to bend the rules to accommodate new players because they're really just a guideline rather than a strict set. They're more there to ensure there is some level of realism of what can and cannot happen within the universe but most DMs have their own universes where you may be able to get away with things that other DMs won't allow. All you need is a basic grasp of the rules and your DM should help with the rest.

BookSmart
January 1st, 2016, 04:01 PM
There is actually an online platform called Roll20 that allows players of multiple tabletop RPGs to play their games online.

I think I might've heard of that actually! But I don't have enough faith in my skills to run any campaigns online yet (I've only really run one full campaign and one one-shot)! If someone else made one I'd be happy to join in!

Also, fabulous story and advice for new players :)

StoppingTom
January 1st, 2016, 04:02 PM
I want to play really bad, but I don't know anyone else who does, and I need to make sure I'm on top of all the rules and stuff before I start.

BookSmart
January 1st, 2016, 07:38 PM
I want to play really bad, but I don't know anyone else who does, and I need to make sure I'm on top of all the rules and stuff before I start.

If you find a bunch of new players like yourself, you can probably pick up rules pretty easily together! I know of a couple straight forward guides on how to make characters. And you could also probably use a pre-made adventure or dungeon too, if you're apprehensive about making your own!

There aren't so much rules as there are guidelines as to how different spells, attacks, and what are known as "checks" work. Combat can run pretty smoothly, and you'll get the hang of it pretty fast. Most of dnd though is just role playing, and interacting with other players, and the story around you that the DM (dungeon master) helps create.

I can try to find some starter guides and things if you want me too, but it might take me a little while to put all the links together!

StoppingTom
January 1st, 2016, 07:41 PM
If you find a bunch of new players like yourself, you can probably pick up rules pretty easily together! I know of a couple straight forward guides on how to make characters. And you could also probably use a pre-made adventure or dungeon too, if you're apprehensive about making your own!

There aren't so much rules as there are guidelines as to how different spells, attacks, and what are known as "checks" work. Combat can run pretty smoothly, and you'll get the hang of it pretty fast. Most of dnd though is just role playing, and interacting with other players, and the story around you that the DM (dungeon master) helps create.

I can try to find some starter guides and things if you want me too, but it might take me a little while to put all the links together!

I've got the Beginner's Guide on my phone, it just seems like so much stuff to keep track of DX

I talked with one of my friends about this, I'm way more comfortable with R2D's, which is so much less thinking than what D&D seems to be.

BookSmart
January 1st, 2016, 09:59 PM
I've got the Beginner's Guide on my phone, it just seems like so much stuff to keep track of DX

I talked with one of my friends about this, I'm way more comfortable with R2D's, which is so much less thinking than what D&D seems to be.

Suit yourself! But!!! If you ever find yourself really board with absolutely nothing else to do, you could always...look the guide over again :)

(I know its a lot of reading but it is so fun >-<)