PDA

View Full Version : Turning 18 and feel like my youth/teen years are over?

subzero4
December 30th, 2015, 01:22 PM
I will be 18 soon and when I think about it I feel like I am losing my youth. I mean I am still in highschool and I think about college issues a lot. I really enjoy being a teenager and I feel like that is coming to an end. Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with handling the responsibilities and all. Its more of the landmark. I get the feeling like I can't really identify with other teens anymore and it makes me feel like my youth is already over. I'm already thinking about stuff way far in the future. I wanna enjoy the present

Deleted User
December 30th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Let me tell you, as someone who hasn't been a "teenager" for a little while now: you're not an adult until you're ready or want to be. And just because you're considered an adult or consider yourself an adult doesn't mean you can't still enjoy the same things you did as a teenager. Don't worry about stuff so far down the road. Yeah, you're going to be different than a lot of teenagers because you start to have more responsibility and autonomy over your own life and your priorities change. But that doesn't mean you can't still be friends with them. Hell, I still hang out here. But yeah, my views now vs when I joined at the age of 15 are very different. It's just a change in perspective, not you as a person.

Relax about college, it will settle itself and it's not nearly as daunting as it looks. There's nothing wrong with being unsure or nervous but don't let that consume you. Responsibilities will be an adjustment but you'll get the hang of it. Your signature is going to get crappier and crappier the more times you sign things as an adult and that is perfectly normal. Blah blah, as one adult to another, you'll be fine. It's all scary and new but honestly, not as much changes as we think. Sure, I'm hunting for jobs and pursuing a degree but I also still play too many video games and spend seven hours a week playing Dungeons & Dragons.

Growing up isn't a bad thing and it isn't something you should panic over.

Paraxiom
December 30th, 2015, 03:42 PM
I'm 20 and still feel like I did before, I don't know if I will ever feel like an adult! It's about how you feel about yourself and not worrying about losing energy you have now as more 'adult-like' things approach. I have worried like you, when I was in not good moods, but I realise that it is me that defines how I feel, not an objective number and what some people feel like labeling me as.
There is so much new to see, you are not old at all in any way. It is the same for all of us here, regardless of our age. Physical age is not the same as psychological age. You can experience a lot and still feel young as as though you have seen only the start.

I hope this helped.

subzero4
December 30th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Well depends at 18 I am still a teenager right? Like I said I don't mind the responsibilities btw

northy
December 30th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Still young. Enjoy it, as we're told.

Deleted User
December 30th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Well depends at 18 I am still a teenager right? Like I said I don't mind the responsibilities btw

You're in the weird in between space where you're a teenager but you're legally considered an adult. Who cares? It's just a number anyway. :)

subzero4
December 30th, 2015, 05:13 PM
I guess I care because I'm not sure to identify with teens still

subzero4
December 31st, 2015, 06:25 AM
so is 18 a young adult or teen? There are some things which include 18 in the teenager range like 13-18

Microcosm
January 5th, 2016, 04:17 PM
so is 18 a young adult or teen? There are some things which include 18 in the teenager range like 13-18

I'd consider you a young adult. My advice is not to hold on to the past. Try to let some of that go and embrace a new, more matured way of living.

If you stay indecisive about whether to identify as a teen or an adult, you'll feel really bad and confused about it.

subzero4
January 7th, 2016, 03:13 AM
Well when I say I identify as a teen, I mean socially or the social group. As I said before, the more responsibilities is ok with me

Angelssmile
February 5th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Thirty-one and so young.

Enjoying more than I did in those agonised teen years.

If you're worrying about old age at 18... and I'm happy at 31... who's the older one?

It's all in the mind buddy... live it up and put life into your years!!

Karkat
February 5th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Just don't land yourself felony charges, m8 :P

There's a lot in life that can fuck you up and turn you into a bitter, stuffy person no matter your age. In many ways, I haven't been a kid since I was 13. In many ways, I've had my childhood almost entirely robbed from me.

However, I still try to find ways to enjoy being young, enjoy the freedoms I have, enjoy the dumb 'childish' things I like. You can do that regardless of age.

Yeah, you're an adult. You can't go in bouncy houses (mostly), or get children's discounts, or play with your friends at recess. I don't even know what the heck highschool is like because I never went.

But honestly, for many things, the only thing stopping you is your pride. If you want to order a kid's meal, order the goddamn kid's meal (no one is going to care unless they're a dickwad, believe me). Swing in the goddamn swings at the park. (I wouldn't recommend the jungle gym- as you may get stuck if you're larger, like me [I'm 6'. My 40" hips do not allow me to play on children's play sets...])

Play video games. Build a pillow fort. Eat dino-shaped chicken nuggets and drink chocolate milk. Take a bubble bath, color in coloring books, do whatever the fuck your heart desires so long as it's legal and not hurting anyone.

Like, the beauty of BEING an adult is that by and large, the only thing stopping you is you. (And maybe money, but that's literally no different than when you're a kid, so)

Life is going to get to you at times, especially depending on who you are (my luck is apparently shit so most of my life has been a lovely shitstorm of sorts)

But you can still find ways to enjoy it. Don't let your age get in the way just because you think certain things are 'off limits' or you HAVE to enjoy certain things (don't pretend to like beer unless you actually like it. Or cigarettes. Poker, spades, golf- if you like it, cool. If you don't, you don't have to do it lmao)

You'll be fine, just a don't let the whole "oh god I'm an adult" thing get to you, and do what you want to do anyways.

Reghan
February 24th, 2016, 02:07 AM
What's this adult thing you speak of?

Trust me you'll be fine :)