PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

mrpieface2
December 29th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone.

Before I continue, I want to say I just have one question, and I have no intent of upsetting, or bullying/harming someone (or myself).

Anyway, I was just wondering, for those of you that struggle with the topic of self harm, why does doing the action of self harming make you feel better? Again I am NOT trying to upset anyone, but personally, I don't think I would ever be "mentally" able to cause harm to myself, and I was just wondering why people do it.

I know this is a very upsetting topic, and if anyone has any problems with this thread, please please please tell me immediately and I will delete this.

Once again, I do not want to upset or anger anyone with this thread and this is just me being my curious self and asking a question.

thatgothgirluknow
December 30th, 2015, 12:45 AM
well in truth there is many reasons why i sometimes self harm many times it's to punish myself because i think that ive done something wrong or aren't good enough other times it's to force myself to focus on the physical pain instead of the emotional pain because in my mind physical pain isn't as hard to deal with as the emotional pain is

joestug2
December 31st, 2015, 12:48 PM
The scientific reason is that the endorphins released for physical pain can help calm emotional pain too, but I don't really know what causes people to start even if they don't know that. I started cause I heard my friend saying talking about it and I'd heard it helped. Really bad decision.

xXoblivionXx
December 31st, 2015, 08:35 PM
hey Alex,

if you would have asked me before I got bad if I would ever cut myself. I would say absolutely not, it contradicts itself- feeling pain to end pain. but I got to a really low place where I would be depressed and then I would get triggered and panic and the only way I knew to releive the tension was to cut. but then I got to a point where that wasn't enough and I got more and more depressed to a point where I was emotionally numb and I would cut myself just to feel something.

I hope this made sense and if you have any other questions or want to talk I'm here :)

Babs
December 31st, 2015, 09:03 PM
Logic has nothing to do with it.

I couldn't tell you why it makes me personally feel better. It's very difficult to explain. I guess in the beginning I did it out of curiosity and because I felt I deserved it, but these things have a tendency to become habits. Now, it just makes me feel absolutely manic. Again, I couldn't give a clear reason, and logic has nothing to do with it.

Blue02
January 3rd, 2016, 03:10 PM
I think I can say for me, it started off as coping for the 'mistakes' I had been told I had made, when in reality I hadn't made any. Then, it turned into a coping mechanism - I could act strong in public and put on a 'protective layer' (if you will) to block out the negatives said about me. I could be the one who has no visible issues so I could become a shoulder to cry on, but that left me without a shoulder to cry on myself, so I'd bottle up my issues and then I'd release them through self harm. I won't lie, I still do but it is better. I know it isn't good to do, but for me there was no mentality into self harming, the first time was an accident and for a moment it felt bad, and then I felt release. I didn't really realise what I was doing, I never liked pain, but self harming made me aware of the pain by letting me express it, so a year in, the initial 'stop and think what your doing' feeling was gone. That's it for me really!

HunterDaniels
January 4th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Hi everyone.

Before I continue, I want to say I just have one question, and I have no intent of upsetting, or bullying/harming someone (or myself).

Anyway, I was just wondering, for those of you that struggle with the topic of self harm, why does doing the action of self harming make you feel better? Again I am NOT trying to upset anyone, but personally, I don't think I would ever be "mentally" able to cause harm to myself, and I was just wondering why people do it.

I know this is a very upsetting topic, and if anyone has any problems with this thread, please please please tell me immediately and I will delete this.

Once again, I do not want to upset or anger anyone with this thread and this is just me being my curious self and asking a question.

No, I think this is a good question and I can see why people would wonder about it like you do. You're not being disrespectful at all I don't think.

I don't do it anymore. But I know when I did it is was to just FEEL something other than everything else I was feeling. I know that doesn't make sense, you feel depressed and alone and unwanted so you hurt yourself more by adding physical pain. It's so hard to explain.
It felt good for me while I was doing it but not after.

They tell people that want to quit smoking to wear a rubber band on their wrist. Whenever they want to smoke they should take the rubber band and pull it out and let it snap back onto their wrist to hurt themselves. This would take their mind off the urge to smoke. Real PAIN as a substitute for the emotional pain of nicotine withdrawals.
In a way it's the same. When I was cutting. I was feeling something real that I could control and for a minute I didn't think about all the other shit in my life.

But today I know it's not a solution at all.

Rhys2001
February 14th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Good question, I used to think it was a pointless action too.
When things just got so bad for me socially and mentally, I cut myself. It gave me a sense of relief, a way to cope with everything. Cutting is not a sign of suicide or trying to hurt others, it is (for me at least) a way to cope and to make me feel idk....
Hope this helps.