PDA

View Full Version : The rubber band method

City Kid
December 29th, 2015, 06:27 PM
I'm currently on my 4th or 5th attempt to to stop self harming. As of today, I haven't cut in 21 days and I'm really happy about that. But I've been using the rubber band method as an alternative and I've come to the realization that I don't know if it's even doing me any good.
When the urges aren't too bad it does help quite a lot, but a few days ago I wanted to cut so badly that I flicked the rubber band against my wrist until it was bright red and even a little swollen. The next day you could still see the marks it left.
I'm just wondering if that's any better than cutting. It feels like I'm just swapping one way of self harming for another.

thatgothgirluknow
December 29th, 2015, 10:33 PM
It feels like I'm just swapping one way of self harming for another.
when it comes to self harm the rubber band trick really is a last resort method for therapist because it is swapping one method of self harm for another but the idea of the rubber band trick is to replace one self destructive coping skill with one that is less harmful if you are leaving marks on your skin with the rubber band then it isn't serving it's purpose but rather becoming its own problem you should look for another way to cope with things that doesn't involve hurting yourself in anyway

rianvice
February 14th, 2016, 07:57 PM
In my opinion it's a step up from cutting, but it is still a form of self harm. I know for me (I'm not in recovery) on days that I just don't feel like cutting I'll use rubber bands instead until I get two raised lumps on my wrist. It's not the best coping method, but it's still better than cutting IMO.

Sheriff McGregor
February 14th, 2016, 11:58 PM
In my opinion it's a step up from cutting, but it is still a form of self harm. I know for me (I'm not in recovery) on days that I just don't feel like cutting I'll use rubber bands instead until I get two raised lumps on my wrist. It's not the best coping method, but it's still better than cutting IMO.

It's an improvement and a way to ween yourself off of cutting.

If someone is seriously addicted to heroin, they would die from withdrawals. They need certain medications containing opioids to help with the process.
If someone is addicted to cigarettes, they may buy nicotine gum to help. If you still inflict pain on yourself, you are self harming but it's less severe than cutting and part of a letting go process.

rianvice
February 15th, 2016, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I agree with you. You make a good point.

Endeavour
February 18th, 2016, 06:38 AM
I'm just wondering if that's any better than cutting. It feels like I'm just swapping one way of self harming for another.

It sort of is still self harming but using a rubber band, in my opinion, is slightly better than cutting.