PDA

View Full Version : When your sent into the dark ages

Microcosm
December 27th, 2015, 09:35 PM
Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
When no one could sleep, not even a mouse.
Lightning struck but every five minutes
And the streets flooded over outside
Then lighting struck our house

Okay so like lightning struck very close to our house at about 3:00 AM Christmas day. No fires were started as far as I could tell but the storms had been going on all night and no one could sleep mostly. So I was up and texting my friend while my phone was charging bc she couldn't sleep either. My thumb rested casually on the part of the charger that plugs into the phone.

Then the loudest lightning strike hit.

A jolt of electricity struck through my hand and the rest of the house. The alarms went hay wire and went off way louder than normal. Disoriented, I walked out of my bedroom to find everyone else in my house up as well.

Later we discovered all that the incredible strike of lightning had destroyed: our garage system, our alarm system, my xbox 360, my brother's xbox 360, our living room cable box for our main tv, the cable tv throughout the whole house, our router, our cable internet connection and our phone line.

Twas the night before Christmas...

northy
December 29th, 2015, 06:10 PM
*Cough* Surge Protection Needed *Cough*

Sorry to hear that. Maybe claim it on the insurance?

Microcosm
December 29th, 2015, 07:52 PM
*Cough* Surge Protection Needed *Cough*

Sorry to hear that. Maybe claim it on the insurance?

The alarm system was going through like two surge protectors. My xbox was as well. And I'm pretty sure the cable box was too. The lightning was just extremely powerful. It was really bad.

I'm not really keeping up with the financials of it, but I think we did file it on the insurance.

Quick update: Alarm system, internet, and cable tv are fixed. Garage still needs fixing.

phuckphace
December 29th, 2015, 09:06 PM
surge protectors are generally unreliable and this is definitely not the first time I've heard of someone having SPs and getting their shit fried anyway. a stroke of lightning is like several million volts and even high-tier industrial equipment can get blown the fuck out no matter what you do.

this happened to a coworker of mine when lightning struck her rooftop mast, and not only did she lose her LCD TV and desktop PC but also the contents of her laptop which wasn't even plugged in when it happened - the magnetic pulse from the lightning erased the hard drive. pissing off the storm god is never a good idea.

northy
December 30th, 2015, 04:15 PM
The alarm system was going through like two surge protectors. My xbox was as well. And I'm pretty sure the cable box was too. The lightning was just extremely powerful. It was really bad.

I'm not really keeping up with the financials of it, but I think we did file it on the insurance.

Quick update: Alarm system, internet, and cable tv are fixed. Garage still needs fixing.

If you buy branded surge protectors they guarantee against lightning. Or at least they say they do. Mine does.