PDA

View Full Version : Phone Coverage

northy
December 27th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Just wondering what the phone coverage is like for people.

I live in a village and they turned off our phone mast last year. We currently get patchy 2g reception if we're lucky. No reception at all on EE or Vodafone. Slightly better on O2 based networks.

Anyone else got it like this? So much for 95% coverage, all of Wales is as bad.

Splat
December 27th, 2015, 05:35 PM
I know this probably isn't really anything to do with this as this is more internet signal, but I heard on the radio a couple of months ago about this farmer who lived in the middle of nowhere and was so fed up with his slow internet, he built his own mast and his broadband became significantly faster.
It's worth a read if you're interested xD

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3200291/Farmer-sick-poor-internet-signal-built-DIY-mast.html

Endeavour
December 28th, 2015, 09:31 AM
northy

have you tried vodafone's sure signal box?

phuckphace
December 28th, 2015, 10:03 AM
that's pretty sucky, considering England is the size of Alabama and it can't possibly cost that much to blanket the entire country in 4G+++++ or whatever the dankest new standard is

I'm on AT&T prepaid and I can can get p.decent coverage anywhere. I visited a friend who lives in a tiny town of >200 people in the middle of nowhere and I was tethering with 3G fast enough to game with. only downside is the 2GB monthly data cap for 4G (+$20 if I wanted 4GB)

nerddigestive
December 28th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Patchy mobile reception, but when I get it I have slow 3G as data.

northy
December 29th, 2015, 12:59 PM
northy

have you tried vodafone's sure signal box?

No, that looks quite good actually. I might have to try that. Vodafone looks quite expensive on Sim only though. :(. Maybe it's worth it?

I know this probably isn't really anything to do with this as this is more internet signal, but I heard on the radio a couple of months ago about this farmer who lived in the middle of nowhere and was so fed up with his slow internet, he built his own mast and his broadband became significantly faster.
It's worth a read if you're interested xD

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3200291/Farmer-sick-poor-internet-signal-built-DIY-mast.html

My broadband is fine, they installed Fibre to the cabinet here earlier this year. I don't get 3G never mind 4G, so this wouldn't really help. I'm going to look into seeing if you can do something the other way around, a bit like a vodafone suresignal.

phuckphace
December 29th, 2015, 08:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xnGMSk9.png

rate? :3

northy
December 30th, 2015, 06:12 PM
image (http://i.imgur.com/xnGMSk9.png)

rate? :3

Is that 4G? That's faster than my broadband.

phuckphace
December 30th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Is that 4G? That's faster than my broadband.

yep, but my broadband is even faster and has a 450GB "limit" that they don't really enforce :yeah: this 4G has a 2GB cap and they throttle it down to dialup speed after, which sucks big time

northy
December 31st, 2015, 10:29 AM
yep, but my broadband is even faster and has a 450GB "limit" that they don't really enforce :yeah: this 4G has a 2GB cap and they throttle it down to dialup speed after, which sucks big time
I don't even get mobile Internet. I get patchy coverage for calls. Before they installed fibre, I got 0.02mbps broadband.

Anthem
January 1st, 2016, 06:57 AM
I have 4G LTE where I live in my area on Verizon in the US.

Verizon is one of the only carriers that had nation wide 4G when LTE launched.

northy
January 1st, 2016, 01:02 PM
I have 4G LTE where I live in my area on Verizon in the US.

Verizon is one of the only carriers that had nation wide 4G when LTE launched.
Wow. That's quick to put lte over such a large area.
Also nice that the world is moving to a standard for cellular communications, so my phone would work there if u swapped my sim and it was on the right band.

Infidelitas
January 2nd, 2016, 03:59 AM
I get 4G reception most places I go.

I have to be pretty far away to lose reception.

Cognizant
February 1st, 2016, 03:36 AM
I live in the Silicon Valley so the idea of even having 2G reception is foreign to me... :P
Jokes aside, ATT has 4G LTE everywhere here. there's only a few patchy spots where I live - like up in the hills where my mom works, or in the Metro subway.