PDA

View Full Version : Not eating anything, no appetite

Microcosm
December 26th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Now, I eat probably less than 500 calories a day. I'm a fifteen year old and I weigh around 140 I think.

I know this isn't healthy. I sleep for 12+ hours every night and I eat literally almost nothing each day. Still, I'm not hungry at all. I never feel the need to eat.

Here's what I think the culprit is: I take a vitamin pill every day as well as a calcium supplement. Ever since I started taking them, it seems that the problem has gotten worse.

I will probably be going to a doctor soon so I can inquire about this, but if you have any advice or thoughts you'd like to share for me, please feel free to share.

northy
December 27th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Going to see your doctor is the right thing to do. You seem to know that you need to be eating and I suggest that you try to eat more. You will lose a significant amount of weight if you continue to not eat and that will only cause more problems to happen. If you really don't want to eat, try drinking sugary drinks to get some calories in.

Microcosm
December 27th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Thank you for your response, northy.

I have been drinking a lot of Apple juice lately which contains lots of natural sugars. I think that is pretty helpful to my situation.

Deleted User
December 30th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Lots of things, including vitamins and supplements, can have side effects such as a decreased appetite. But they aren't substitutes for food. I think seeing your doctor is the best course of action.

This isn't necessarily an eating disorder as it's most likely caused by something other than your usual criteria for eating disorders as a mental illness. I think this is just a product of circumstance and your doctor will have the best advice for you.

hazelteen
January 2nd, 2016, 02:14 PM
In my experience, the less you eat, the less hungry you will eventually be on a day to day basis.

Similar to when a person eats more than average, they have to eat more than average to be full. It's to do with shrinking the size of your stomache (there are no visible differences of stomache size)

Uniquemind
January 3rd, 2016, 01:21 AM
All of you are ignoring the fact and latest science that says not all calories are equal and that what you eat in combination with other foods is the best way your intestines absorb nutrients which are not calories by the way.

You're basing your ideals and feelings about eating based on outdated nutritional information.

Count nutrients not calories as what you need to consume.

Also know that for supplements a lot of that isn't absorbed well by the intestine. Best to not use supplements and eat tons of veggies or put em in a smoothie.

Reise
January 5th, 2016, 03:01 PM
All of you are ignoring the fact and latest science that says not all calories are equal [...].
I'm pretty sure all "calories" are equal as it is a unity of measurement.

Uniquemind
January 5th, 2016, 08:35 PM
I'm pretty sure all "calories" are equal as it is a unity of measurement.

Nope, the body metabolizes calories in tiers of priority, in terms of where they came from (what was consumed or eaten).

Also nutrients are absorbed better when eaten and paired with other foods.

So nutrients and diet and getting in shape, or attempts to be thin, needs to be looked at and thought about differently other than linear energy measurements.

That was my point.

northy
January 6th, 2016, 06:09 PM
All of you are ignoring the fact and latest science that says not all calories are equal and that what you eat in combination with other foods is the best way your intestines absorb nutrients which are not calories by the way.

You're basing your ideals and feelings about eating based on outdated nutritional information.

Count nutrients not calories as what you need to consume.

Also know that for supplements a lot of that isn't absorbed well by the intestine. Best to not use supplements and eat tons of veggies or put em in a smoothie.

Speaking as someone with severe gastrointestinal problems, some calories is better than no calories, hence why I recommended him to try to eat as much as he could and to go and see his doctor to get it sorted properly. I think in this situation, whether or not your eating vegetables is irrelevant, he needs to make sure he doesn't lose too much weight. I.e, I lost 2.5 stone by not eating, and being underweight is very unhealthy.

tulolita2015
January 8th, 2016, 12:50 PM
No eating can be dangerous look for help please.

HououinKiyoma
January 17th, 2016, 08:23 AM
DO NOT EAT VITAMIN PILLS IF YOU DONT NEED THEM.

Tbh dont eat vitamin pills if you need them.

Theres a company called "Nature" that makes pills called "Fruits". They're available at your nearby greengrocer.

Did I tell you that they taste good?

Cristina15
March 17th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Now, I eat probably less than 500 calories a day. I'm a fifteen year old and I weigh around 140 I think.

I know this isn't healthy. I sleep for 12+ hours every night and I eat literally almost nothing each day. Still, I'm not hungry at all. I never feel the need to eat.

Here's what I think the culprit is: I take a vitamin pill every day as well as a calcium supplement. Ever since I started taking them, it seems that the problem has gotten worse.

I will probably be going to a doctor soon so I can inquire about this, but if you have any advice or thoughts you'd like to share for me, please feel free to share.

i think you must go to a doctor as soon as possible: this is not healthy at all and, IMO very dangerous

Microcosm
August 5th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Bump and update:

I finally went to the doctor. He said it was likely a side effect of my anxiety medicine. He didn't do much to help me at all though for it.

Although, in related news, I might be hypoglycemic??

Getting tested for hypoglycemia probably tomorrow.

Just JT
August 5th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Well I'm happy you posted an update. As long as your doctor is aware I'm pretty sure it'll all work out. I'd imagine if you test positive it's probably cause of your diet or lack of it. And I'd imagine once it's confirmed hell do something about it to help

Microcosm
August 11th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Just JT Cristina15 HououinKiyoma northy Magenta Uniquemind

For everyone that replied, thank you.

I have a very serious update that is very unfortunate.

My blood tests came back. I don't have hypoglycemia. However, I apparently have diabetes.

I'm not overweight whatsoever and, like I said, I barely eat anything. So, I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

Just JT
August 11th, 2016, 07:40 PM
What type of diabeties do you have?
From the quick reading I did hypoglycemic is low blood sugar, which makes sense. And I'm pretty sure there's 2 types of diabeties, type 1 and type 2. One is when you have high blood sugar the other is when you have low blood sugar. Which migh make sense also as your just not eating enough food, or maybe not the right type of food

SethfromMI
August 11th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Just JT Cristina15 HououinKiyoma northy Magenta Uniquemind

For everyone that replied, thank you.

I have a very serious update that is very unfortunate.

My blood tests came back. I don't have hypoglycemia. However, I apparently have diabetes.

I'm not overweight whatsoever and, like I said, I barely eat anything. So, I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

diabetes doesn't mean your overweight. I have a friend from school who is very healthy and active and he has it. I am not sure if he had it from birth or not.

very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. sometimes these things happen even when you did not do anything to really cause it. now that they know or have a better idea what the problem is, they can help you better

Just JT
August 12th, 2016, 06:12 AM
Think the most I,portent thing is that it's discovered so now you can get treatment. If you take care of yourself you'll,probably be just fine in the long run
But I'd really try and figure out the whole not wanting go east stuff cause you need to eat.

devotionnel
August 12th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Diabetes doesn't mean you're overweight, don't worry about that buddy!

Type 1 diabetes is where the body produces little or no insulin and type 2 diabetes is where the body is resistant to the insulin (this type is usually linked to obesity but not always).

If you control what foods you eat and exercise, you should be able to control your sugar levels at a healthy rate because that's what may be giving you appetite problems.

Flapjack
August 13th, 2016, 12:04 AM

Sorry just saw your later posts and realised you have diabetes :) What type of diabetes do you have??

Microcosm
August 13th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Sorry just saw your later posts and realised you have diabetes :) What type of diabetes do you have??

I'm not sure. Wasn't told.

Flapjack
August 13th, 2016, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure. Wasn't told.
What medicine are you taking buddy? Are you having insulin injected?

City Kid
August 13th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Eating Disorders :arrow: VT General Hospital

jamie_n5
August 15th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Well maybe stop taking the vitamins and see what that does. I definitely think you need to see your doctor regardless. Vitamins shouldn't do that to you.