PDA

View Full Version : How to make gains

dbfordateam
December 26th, 2015, 01:42 AM
Hi this is my first post. I am frustrated with my gains.

MY max lifts are
bench: 185
squat: 245
Deadlift: 350

I am 5 feet 10 and weigh 155, 167 at my heaviest and lightest now during wrestling season.

I also play football and run track so i need improvements for my upcoming track season where i hope to do well.

I am stuck and I am lifting 3-4 times a week after wrestling practice for 30 minutes to try to keep my strength. Whenever I try to do more than my max I fail. :what:

I am currently 17 if that helps...

lemondrop
December 26th, 2015, 02:24 AM
Amm my lifting score is the same as yours,just in deadlift a little bit less. I would offer to do pyramid sets(increasing weight) or if you don't want muscles do small reps but heaviest load for strenght.. Or lets say if you're stuck on deadlift - don't do the full movement just a half of it or even third of it so it will help you to break the platoa. Plus depends for how long r u lifting

dbfordateam
December 26th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Amm my lifting score is the same as yours,just in deadlift a little bit less. I would offer to do pyramid sets(increasing weight) or if you don't want muscles do small reps but heaviest load for strenght.. Or lets say if you're stuck on deadlift - don't do the full movement just a half of it or even third of it so it will help you to break the platoa

I will try this, thanks for the help

DriveAlive
December 26th, 2015, 11:37 AM
If four something like the bench you go really slow on the way down and then explode up as fast as you can, it will yield amazing increases in strength. Also, I usually follow a 3x5x7 lifting pattern where you lift 3 reps at 75% of your max, 5 reps at 65%, and 7 reps at 55%. You can change the percents and ratios as you see fit but this got me to be able to increase my max by 5 lbs every week.

dbfordateam
December 31st, 2015, 01:37 AM
If four something like the bench you go really slow on the way down and then explode up as fast as you can, it will yield amazing increases in strength. Also, I usually follow a 3x5x7 lifting pattern where you lift 3 reps at 75% of your max, 5 reps at 65%, and 7 reps at 55%. You can change the percents and ratios as you see fit but this got me to be able to increase my max by 5 lbs every week.

How many sets of that 3 or 4?

DriveAlive
December 31st, 2015, 01:40 AM
One set is usually all you can do of it if you are really pushing yourself. I usually pair this with a shoulder and back exercise.

Gunter
January 1st, 2016, 08:44 PM
you make gains, by working your ass off, no program is gonna offer great results unless combined with the attitude to go as hard as you can. Half an hour after practice isnt enough to get your lifts up.

dbfordateam
January 24th, 2016, 01:33 AM
To All: Just recently tested my max bench after wrestling practice. It was at 185. I just benched tell failure and lowered the weight each time. Im pretty happy about that result because I was benching 185 at 165 during football season and now im wrestling, I am constantly benching 185 more explosively at 151.7. Thanks for all the tips, I will incorporate them into my workout.