PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Quotes From the Last Book You Read

Mars
December 25th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Recently tryna get more into readin cuz i got a book for Christmas so

From Fahrenheit 451, a book that is fucking wild, I present to you several quotes that I love:

"Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."

"I don't talk things, sir, I talk the meaning of things. I sit here and know I'm alive."

"We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindness there is at least one which makes the heart run over."

So what are some quotes from the most recent book you've read that are inspirational or just stick out to you?

Kahn
December 27th, 2015, 12:18 AM
"Four blind men went to the zoo and visited the elephant. One blind man touched its side and said, 'the elephant is like a wall.' One blind man touched its trunk and said, 'the elephant is like a snake.' The next blind man touched its leg and said, 'the elephant is like a column.' The last blind man touched its tail and said, 'the elephant is like a broom.' Then the four blind men started to fight, each one believing his opinion was the right one. Each only understood the part that he had touched; none of them understood the whole."

amgb
January 20th, 2016, 06:17 AM
"Often we realise how mistaken we were in concepts we knew so well; they had become part of us and, automatically, of our consciousness. Every so often we ought to change all our concepts."

Cristina15
March 18th, 2016, 04:39 PM
"don't esitate, do it!"

I am esitating everytime :)

Faith Collapsing
July 4th, 2016, 09:14 PM
“God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.”
-Good Omens

Sublime Demonz
July 4th, 2016, 10:13 PM
"We accept the love we think we deserve."

"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be."

“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.”

“I don’t know if you’ve ever felt like that. That you wanted to sleep for a thousand years. Or just not exist. Or just not be aware that you do exist. Or something like that. I think wanting that is very morbid, but I want it when I get like this. That’s why I’m trying not to think. I just want it all to stop spinning.”

All from The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, one of my favorite books and movies of all time.

Faith Collapsing
July 19th, 2016, 03:40 PM
"Memory is the great deceiver. Perhaps there are some individuals whose memories act like tape recordings, daily records of their lives complete in every detail, but I am not one of them. My memory is a patchwork of occurrences, of discontinuous events roughly sewn together: The parts I remember, I remember precisely, whilst other sections seemed to have vanished completely.”

Smoke And Mirrors-Neil Gaiman

Flapjack
July 19th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Alkaloids are natural fungicides, insecticides, and pesticides. It has been estimated that, on average, each of us ingests about a gram and a half of natural pesticide every day, from the plants and plant products in our diet. The estimate for residues from synthetic pesticides is around 0.15 milligrams daily—about ten thousand times less than the natural dose!
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81nBxkCSaBL.jpg

Faith Collapsing
July 27th, 2016, 03:08 PM
“No motive is pure. No one is good or bad-but a hearty mix of both. And sometimes life actually gives to you by taking away.”
― Carrie Fisher, Wishful Drinking

Mars
September 20th, 2016, 07:55 AM
"For it will be very difficult to persuade men of sense that he who with dry eyes and satisfaction of mind can delivery his brother to the executioner to be burnt alive, does sincerely and hearing concern himself to save that brother from the flames of hell in world to come."

"To love truth for truths same is the principal part of human perfection in this world, and th seed-plot of all other virtues."

"The great question which, in all ages, has disturbed mankind, and brought on them the greatest part of their mischiefs ... Has been, not whether be power in the world, not whence it came, but who should have it."

"Education behind the gentleman, but reading, good company and reflection must finish him."

"To prejudge other men's notions before we have looked into them is not to show their darkness but to put out our own eyes."

John Locke is fucking legend.

lemondrop
September 20th, 2016, 02:49 PM
"I'm neither a slave, nor a king , just a human"

Mars
November 29th, 2016, 10:37 AM
"Trust is one of those abstract words that is hard for me to understand."

Mars
December 4th, 2016, 12:56 PM
"There is no heaven, and there is no hell. There doesn't need to be. Our hubris is the quintessential form of retribution. We create our own suffering."

everlong
December 4th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Well the last book I read was the Scarlett Letter, and it's a fucking awful book, so I don't think I could find a good quote.

Falcons_11
December 10th, 2016, 12:05 AM
I recently finished reading James Bradley's book "Flyboys". It's a non-fiction account about the air war in the Pacific in World War II. It's the personal stories of many of the actual fighter pilots both Navy and Army who flew againt the Japanese. In this book the author goes to great lengths to tell the story of the daily routines of the pilots and flight personnel who fought in this war. The following is a little poem that went around the ready rooms on every U.S. aircraft carriers. It points out one of the cruel truths about what went through the minds of the aviators in this war.

" He loved his plane
And he loved to fly.

He never thought
He was going to die.

Now don't feel bad
Don't feel blue.

Who knows tomorrow
It may be you."

PunkModRevial
December 24th, 2016, 05:12 PM
"We realise that we’re all going to die, without really finding out the big answers. We develop all those long-winded ideas which just interpret the reality of our lives in different ways, without really extending our body of worthwhile knowledge, about the big things, the real things. Basically, we live a short disappointing life; and then we die. We fill up our lives with shite, things like careers and relationships to delude ourselves that it isn’t all totally pointless." - Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh.

Amethyst Rose
January 12th, 2017, 10:21 PM
"It is difficult for most people to realize, especially parents when it comes to their children, but suffering is often a great gift, not the curse most humans assume it is."

Mars
January 14th, 2017, 07:50 PM
"Time is but a stream I go a-fishing in. I drink at it; but while I drink I see the sandy bottom and detect how shallow it is. It's thin current slides away, but eternity remains. I would drink deeper; fish in the sky, whose bottom is pebbly with starts. I cannot count one."

Mars
May 30th, 2017, 09:18 AM
"Now I think we are friends, this girl and me. On her birthday, it was she who gave a gift- to me. It makes me understand that the best standover man I've ever known is not a man at all..."

~The Book Thief
-Markus Zusak

“On the last night, James said he obtained five large scorpions but rather than mashing them into the usual, boring arthropod paste, he used a fuel tablet from his survival kit to roast the batch of five critters. Then he dabbed each crusty carapace with several drops of precious Tabasco that he had saved for the last night.
“Now that was some fine dining, the likes of which you other fellas will never know,” he said, rolling a toothpick between his lips while a grin crept out.”

~Life Under Open Skies
-Tony Nester

Lemme just revive this thread right quick :)

The Byrd
June 1st, 2017, 03:52 AM
"Man is not truly one, but truly two" - Henry Jekyll, 'The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde''

Nadin
June 19th, 2017, 06:01 AM
“It sounds plausible enough tonight, but wait until tomorrow. Wait for the common sense of the morning.”

H.G.Wells

Mars
June 27th, 2017, 06:57 PM
"You have to have faith, but stupidity is not a virtue."

The Scholar Warrior
~Deng Ming-Dao

"He went to the duel, and when the moment came, he did not even bother to block the fatal stroke. The poem he left behind made all the other Scholar Warriors weep:

'In youth, a leaf on the tree:
Fresh, vibrant, beautiful.
In old age, a leaf in the mud:
Ground unnoticed beneath the heel.' "

The Scholar Warrior
~Deng Ming-Dao

Poem
~Unknown master

sgtcactus
July 8th, 2017, 03:59 PM
"Oh freddled gruntbuggly
Thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Group, I implore thee,
My footing turlingdromes
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles.
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts
With my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

Sublime Demonz
July 9th, 2017, 12:40 PM
"Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it. "Your father's right," she said. "Mockingbirds don't do one thing except make music for us to enjoy."

To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Seraph
July 11th, 2017, 10:14 AM
"'Why, O people of the Noldor,' he cried, 'why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their Enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengeance calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of my treasure. Yet I am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea?

'Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless for ever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In Cuiviénen sweet ran the waters under unclouded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in our folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!'"

-- The Silmarillion.

carlieta
July 15th, 2017, 01:11 AM
i was reading spiderman, so "with great power comes great responsibility" haha

Mars
July 17th, 2017, 12:18 PM
"It is evening rush hour. Traffic is heavy but moving steadily. Long lines of cars are carrying tired people home. Home. That is the magnet atttacting nearly all the people in the traffic stream - family, a relaxed, evening meal, and the simple enjoyment of home."

Sportsmanlike Driving - Fourth edition

Mars
August 25th, 2017, 07:39 PM
"The failure to accord the individual human being full dignity is a calamitous failure. Conversely, the recognition of the need for that dignity is what makes society workable and livable."

"The individual is capable of ennobling life and disfiguring it. Basic purpose and human destiny are not without but within."

"Our definition of hell that has presided over the years is of a place where people have lost their capacity to recognize or respond to beauty."

"Certain rights are acquired by a human being just in the act of being born:
The right to grow and to meet one's individual potentialities.
The right to appraise and to apply one's abilities, consistent with the rights of others.
The right to one's thoughts.
The right to nourish them and voice them.
The right to make mistakes whether of thought or deed, without fear of unjust punishment.
The right to hope.
The right to justice whether the claim is against a person, an aggregation, or government itself.
The right to contemplate human destiny and the mysteries of human existence, or to detach oneself altogether from these pursuits.
The right to hold grievances against one's society and to make them known to others.
The right to make a better life for our young.

The Human Adventure: A Camera Chronicle - Norman Cousins

Sword of the morning
September 18th, 2017, 10:55 PM
A reader lives a thousand loves before his ends. A man who never reads only live one.

Tom55
September 21st, 2017, 07:04 PM
"No one ever became extremely wicked suddenly". -
'Saturae' by Giovenale.

Mars
October 19th, 2017, 11:23 AM
"Dawn unlocked the morning in increments of gray."

"The essence of intelligence was to know when, or if, to expose even the heart's deep need for instruction."

Transatlantic - Colum McCann