PDA

View Full Version : How did you conquer addiction?

StoppingTom
December 25th, 2015, 09:59 PM
So, I have a question/discussion topic.

Part 1: My lady acquaintance is addicted to some stuff (pills, she's been looking at heroin as well), and she says she wants to stop but drugs are what keeps her from basically snapping (some traumatic past stuff). She's tried everything, rehab (twice), therapists, etc. For any former addicts who can offer help, how did you kick your habit?

Part 2: In general, what's your story of overcoming your addiction? I'm sure it could be a great inspiration to people here looking to do the same :)

kev1998
April 30th, 2016, 12:39 AM
I was addicted to hydrocodone for 3 years because of an injury. I was taking 120 10mg per month at the end of the 3 years which only 60 were prescribed by my doctor. The other 60 were coming from friends and the street. I sold almost everything that I had and that I could steal to support my habit. I had to make up my mind that enough was enough and started to reduce by 30 every second month. I wend from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 and finally 1/2 per day until I finally quit. I have been clean 3 months now and still have a desire for those pills. I hope that will eventually subside but I think it will probably always be there because the high was so good. I lost my best friend to a drug overdose due to addiction.

Fehu
May 20th, 2016, 05:06 PM
I was addicted to hydrocodone for 3 years because of an injury. I was taking 120 10mg per month at the end of the 3 years which only 60 were prescribed by my doctor. The other 60 were coming from friends and the street. I sold almost everything that I had and that I could steal to support my habit. I had to make up my mind that enough was enough and started to reduce by 30 every second month. I wend from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 and finally 1/2 per day until I finally quit. I have been clean 3 months now and still have a desire for those pills. I hope that will eventually subside but I think it will probably always be there because the high was so good. I lost my best friend to a drug overdose due to addiction.

It may not work for everybody, but it seems like its worked for a lot of people and its worked for me personally, but maybe try a psycadelic drug like shrooms or acid, because it sounds like the cause of your drug abuse it something that happenned to yoi, and psycadelics can help give you a different perspective and they can help you find the cause to your problems.
I uses to be addicted to meth but i ate some morning glory seeds, chilled and just layed down thinking a lot of the trip, and found the cause to my addiction, how to treat it, how to stop my addiction completely, and just learned a lot of stuff about myseld ive buried so deep id forgot. Also the next day i went from cravings even after i just smoked to no cravings whatsoever. Thats what worked for me personally also if you have a close family member or friend(if not, maybe open up to some people slowly to test the waters, and develope a deep friendship where you can talk to them), and tell them your problems, what you think the causes are, etc etc, talk about your addiction, and even just saying it to another person ime helps so much but some people are really reciprocating and may have experience with addiction too so they can help you too. Good luck, and this threads kinda old so idk if youll read this but pm me on this site and we can talk morw.

Sordid Saint
June 4th, 2016, 03:49 AM
Opiates have been ruining my life on and off for years now. It's something I still haven't overcome but am trying to very hard. I got the visitors shot which makes me not able to get high for a moth at a time. I just got out aof a locked detox facility that was court ordered by my probation, and already have switched to doing cocaine instead. I have two court dates coming up. A pre trial hearing for my new charges and a violation hearing on my other charges that I'm looking at 7-10 years for. Looking at that written down has me thinking "what the fuck are you doing man..." but ,y addiction doesn't think of that In the moment. My best advice is to stay away from negative influences, add some positive influences and hobbies, go to meetings, and JUST DONT DO DRUGS. Easier said than done, I really understand that just as much as the next guy. But after going to jail, after going to rehabs, after dealing with court and seeing everyone around me dying, there's really only two options. Stay clean and live a good life or keep using and die or go away for a long time. That's what keeps me from doing drugs when I'm able to keep myself away from them. I need help tho. I need mental help. I literally just got out of detox on ,on day and it's now Friday, well Saturday morning technically.. and I have done coke 3 out of those 5 days now and gone to a meeting only one of those days. Only thing keeping me off dope and oxy is that shot. This is a reminder to myself.. get to meetings. Meetings meetings meetings. .. keep your head up everyone, if you're struggling. And if you mess up remember you can alays start fresh again.

Cats123
July 26th, 2016, 12:47 AM
I heard that taking psychadelics can cure addiction, at least temporarily. But drugs are baad. Just breaks me that people who are willing to try drugs end up trying addictive opiates rather than something that is non-addictive. Oh well :/. But curing addiction is hard, I think the best thing to do is to become addicted to something else. But something productive like writing or swimming. A hobby. Something that gives you the enjoyment any drug would but leaves you feeling good as you know you are productive. :)