PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any disabilities?

thatgothgirluknow
December 24th, 2015, 01:47 PM
So I recently found out i might have epilepsy or another neurological condition and i know that it can sometimes be very hard to deal with because others cant always understand what's wrong when it's not simply pain and i can't always explain does anyone else have any disabilities how do they affect you.

northy
December 27th, 2015, 01:33 PM
No one can understand mine. There is no name for it as it widely undocumented. Quite depressing. I try to explain to people what happens and why, but they seems to not understand it ever. At least you and your doctor seem to know what's wrong with you.

Just tell people (if they ask) and hope that they understand. If they don't, so what? As long as they don't stop you doing anything.

Let Me Be a Pony
December 27th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Just tell people (if they ask) and hope that they understand. If they don't, so what? As long as they don't stop you doing anything.

LOOOOOOOOL, tell them?
Well, there are too many judgemental people around me, so that's a "fuck no" for me.

OP, I don't know what sort of epilepsy you got, but usually when you don't sleep for 24 hours the seizures tend to increase.
I've heard bullshit that if you cover one of your eyes, the seizures are less likely to happen. Lmao, how the fuck am I to know when the time is right to cover one of my eyes? This just happens. Only thing I feel is pressure in the eyes 30-60 minutes before it happens.
Go see a doctor if you haven't already and tell him/her about your issues. If you've done so already I don't understand why you 'might' have epilepsy. They should confirm that with some testing.

Abyssal Echo
December 27th, 2015, 10:14 PM
I have dyslexia, scoliosis, and bi-polar.

Babs
December 27th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Technically, yes. I have epilepsy which is a disability. But when I'm asked that question, my first instinct is to say no. I don't know why, I just don't see myself as having a disability. It's not all that severe.

What I have are complex partial seizures. On a typical day, I'll have one or two, though there are occasionally days where I have upwards of ten or even twenty. I don't think I have anything that trigger my typical ones, though there are things that increase them a lot, such as DXM. I don't have any evident warning signs either. They just happen.

They don't affect me a terrible amount. Yeah, they suck and I wish I didn't have them, but it's usually little more than an inconvenience.

I don't talk about it much because it's usually not relevant. But when I do explain it to people, I usually don't get a big reaction, which is actually nice.

Bubbawhack
December 28th, 2015, 04:29 AM
I have some issues with my thyroid, also I have really loose joints which makes sports difficult, which is too bad since I love athletics. Power through it!

Fiction
December 28th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Technically yes but on job applications etc I always write no. I'm medicated for it and as long as I remember my meds it largely doesn't effect me. I have POTS which means my heart goes too fast just from the effort of standing up, or if I have a simple infection at the time like a cold it can be triggered by little things such as rolling over in bed which gets ridiculous! Since I'm well medicated though I don't count it as disabling. Without meds though it's like running a marathon when in reality you've done nothing. Last time I forgot them Heart rate was 145 beats per minute. I can also lose consciousness/fit if I'm stood up because my heart isn't pumping effectively and my blood pressure drops.

I also have JHS/EDS which means my joints are more delicate than everyone else's. I have a bad knee that can get very painful if I walk on it too long, and if I trip or something my ankles and wrists sprain really easily. But I was offered physiotherapy but preferred to just deal with it than feel disabled, so declined.

Vanilla Cupcake
December 28th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I have ADD inattentive and I faint a lot, I also fall asleep a lot, I'm not sure if that is a medical thing, but if I don't take medication I fall asleep all the time, like in cars or if someone touches me softly, or combs my hair, I just fall asleep.

ChandlerBong83
December 29th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Nope.

everlong
December 29th, 2015, 01:19 PM
I don't think I do

northy
December 29th, 2015, 02:50 PM
I don't think I do

Life always brings surprises! Be ready.

Melodic
December 29th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I have Kyphosis, Aspergers, Major-Depression, Sluggish-Cognitive Tempo, and Anxiety.

Honestly, I've gotten used to being diagnosed and re-diagnosed with stuff since I was 4 that none of my mental/physical disabilities really affect me much anymore.

Beach_Blonde
January 5th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Yes. Ie recently been diagnosed with both Epilepsy and Chronic Migraines. And I haven't really figured out how to deal with it.I'm still trying my cop and have to see a therapist. I feel like a part of me was stolen and I hate it.
The only upside is that my friend ad family do understand for the most part. They were a little different at first but everything is kinda back to normal now. I guess we have o learn to live day by day