PDA

View Full Version : Members who are banned

Endeavour
December 23rd, 2015, 03:29 PM
I have seen quite a few times today people who have been banned. Who's join dates are today.

So these questions came into my mind:

1 - What sort of things can a person do to get banned on the first day? I know sometimes people get banned for continuous rule breaking but what harm can they have done in a matter of hours?
2 - Why are their (the banned people) threads locked? I saw a thread which had been locked because 'The OP is banned.' - why is this?
3 - Who decides if a person can get banned? Global mods or just the admin? Can a 'normal' mod refer a person for a ban if they continually break the rules in their section?

Jinglebottom
December 23rd, 2015, 03:42 PM
I'm curious about that too!

Emerald Dream
December 23rd, 2015, 03:47 PM
I have seen quite a few times today people who have been banned. Who's join dates are today.

So these questions came into my mind:

1 - What sort of things can a person do to get banned on the first day? I know sometimes people get banned for continuous rule breaking but what harm can they have done in a matter of hours?
2 - Why are their (the banned people) threads locked? I saw a thread which had been locked because 'The OP is banned.' - why is this?
3 - Who decides if a person can get banned? Global mods or just the admin? Can a 'normal' mod refer a person for a ban if they continually break the rules in their section?

This post (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2933806&postcount=5) should answer the first question.

Often times threads started by a banned OP are locked, especially in the H&A sections in general, because a lot of questions are deemed personal and specific in nature there. For example, someone asking about their dating situation, or asking "is this normal, or ok to do?" in P101 is treated as a personal question - and since the OP is banned, there really isn't a need for personal answers to a personal question (the general consensus is that those threads will be spammed unnecessarily - with no help going to the original poster, who can no longer interact there). In a thread like "Star Wars Discussion Thread" over in GD, it's more likely that the thread won't be locked just because the OP is banned (it's more of a general impersonal topic). Ultimately, it does come down to moderator discretion, and whoever is handling the ban or the thread at the time.

Both Global Moderators and Administrators (Senior Staff) can ban. All moderators can see the discipline and warnings of all members, so often times it goes through a process itself of members earning infractions and the system freezing or banning. But yes, moderators can ask that Senior Staff members look into something, because they have more access to look at certain things.

Endeavour
December 23rd, 2015, 04:29 PM
This post (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2933806&postcount=5) should answer the first question.

Often times threads started by a banned OP are locked, especially in the H&A sections in general, because a lot of questions are deemed personal and specific in nature there. For example, someone asking about their dating situation, or asking "is this normal, or ok to do?" in P101 is treated as a personal question - and since the OP is banned, there really isn't a need for personal answers to a personal question (the general consensus is that those threads will be spammed unnecessarily - with no help going to the original poster, who can no longer interact there). In a thread like "Star Wars Discussion Thread" over in GD, it's more likely that the thread won't be locked just because the OP is banned (it's more of a general impersonal topic). Ultimately, it does come down to moderator discretion, and whoever is handling the ban or the thread at the time.

Both Global Moderators and Administrators (Senior Staff) can ban. All moderators can see the discipline and warnings of all members, so often times it goes through a process itself of members earning infractions and the system freezing or banning. But yes, moderators can ask that Senior Staff members look into something, because they have more access to look at certain things.

Ok, looking at that forum on the link:

How can a person earn 100 infraction points in a day to get banned?
What are the levels of 'infractions ' (what is each 'rule-break' worth?)

Emerald Dream
December 23rd, 2015, 04:34 PM
Ok, looking at that forum on the link:

How can a person earn 100 infraction points in a day to get banned?
What are the levels of 'infractions ' (what is each 'rule-break' worth?)

I was speaking to bans in general in the last paragraph.

The things that I listed in the linked post would bypass any possibility of an infraction, and go straight to a ban. Bans can result because of an accumulation of infraction points, but they do not have to. Some things are automatic bans. In the case of a quick ban like you're asking about, it's often about the profile and not what they did on the forums.

Don't get me wrong, we aren't necessarily looking to ban people. However, we do have an obligation (and an expectation by our members) to provide as safe of an environment as we can.

Endeavour
December 23rd, 2015, 04:37 PM
I was speaking to bans in general in the last paragraph.

The things that I listed in the linked post would bypass any possibility of an infraction, and go straight to a ban. Bans can result in an accumulation of infraction points, but they do not have to. Some things are automatic bans.

Oh right I get it know thanks :)

phuckphace
December 23rd, 2015, 10:29 PM
question for the mods while we're on the subject:

how come using fake pics and/or a sexually explicit username ("uncutguy", "8inchbidude", etc. etc. etc.) doesn't merit an automatic ban? both of those things seem like fairly obvious indicators that a member's reasons for being here are the wrong ones.

P101 needs more fascism & less giving people the benefit of the doubt, tbqh fam

Judean Zealot
December 24th, 2015, 01:39 AM
What p101 needs:

http://i.imgur.com/gMpjVJO.jpg

phuckphace
December 24th, 2015, 01:51 AM
What p101 needs:

image (http://i.imgur.com/gMpjVJO.jpg)

uneasy lies the head that uses fake photos

ImCoolBeans
December 24th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Not everybody does this because only administrators can change usernames, but I regularly find myself PMing newer users about username changes. Often giving them the ultimatum of changing their inappropriate username within 24 hours or I'll pick out a new one for them. It usually works :P

Unfortunately we don't catch every single one, and some have been around longer than I have. For example, one of the users you mentioned phuckphace has been a member since 2009 -- I don't really think it's fair to ask somebody to change his/her username after 6+ years.