PDA

View Full Version : Why do people trophy hunt?

Harrier
December 23rd, 2015, 05:42 AM
I have no problems with hunting. I moved to a huge hunting community 2 years ago. Hunters are cool. And I get it that animals are potential food. I eat animals. I've even eaten Hines game food. What I don't get is why people get huge excitement when they've shot their animal and take pictures of it. I honestly kind of understand mounting it. Don't get the pictures - like grabbingthe horns and pulling the lifeless creature's dead head up and grinning for a photo.

Cadanance00
December 23rd, 2015, 10:09 AM
It's anachronistic. It's full of trophy hunters here with dens full of animal parts. How is it somebody can be proud of putting a bullet in an animal?

amgb
December 23rd, 2015, 10:39 AM
Maybe it could be something like wanting to share the victory with family and friends, and on social media. I've never come across photos of trophy hunting on the internet before, in fact I didn't even know people did this. Well, after my uncle goes fishing he does like to take a photo of himself and the fish (only mainly when he's got a really big one), but I'm not sure if that's equivalent in meaning to this trophy hunting o.o

DriveAlive
December 23rd, 2015, 01:22 PM
As a hunter, it is all about the memory of the experience. When you go on vacation and do an amazing experience, you take a picture. It is the same thing with hunting. You are proud of your accomplishment (hunting is not easy) and excited with the experience. Other hunters understand this and will appreciate your pictures as well.

Jaime2015
December 23rd, 2015, 01:22 PM
Trophy hunt is fun and a helluva sport if u like it

Jinglebottom
December 23rd, 2015, 04:27 PM
I don't see the appeal.

Microcosm
December 25th, 2015, 11:15 PM
Well they take pictures with it for the same reason that they mount it: to preserve the moment.

The reasoning for it is nothing more than that it's just something humans like to do when they've accomplished something: preserving the memory of the achievement so that they can boast about it or remember it more clearly later on.

DriveAlive
December 26th, 2015, 12:07 AM
Well they take pictures with it for the same reason that they mount it: to preserve the moment.

The reasoning for it is nothing more than that it's just something humans like to do when they've accomplished something: preserving the memory of the achievement so that they can boast about it or remember it more clearly later on.

This sums it up well. A great hunt is a truly special moment and is something to be preserved.

redrider12
December 28th, 2015, 04:32 PM
As a hunter, it is all about the memory of the experience. When you go on vacation and do an amazing experience, you take a picture. It is the same thing with hunting. You are proud of your accomplishment (hunting is not easy) and excited with the experience. Other hunters understand this and will appreciate your pictures as well.

Exactly. It's a victory. Why are metal/plastic figurine trophies so cool for sports victories? One could make a case that in a similar way they're materialistic. Trophy heads are kind of a bragging point. I snagged my biggest buck last season, and I was damned proud of that sucker. So I got the head mounted (now if only my mother was okay with hanging it...)

pjones
December 30th, 2015, 09:39 AM
why do people swim or play golf? it's a sport they enjoy participating in

Cadanance00
January 3rd, 2016, 09:24 PM
I don't see what's to be proud of shooting some large vegetarian (usually) animal. I mean, like, were they bothering you?

DriveAlive
January 3rd, 2016, 11:19 PM
I don't see what's to be proud of shooting some large vegetarian (usually) animal. I mean, like, were they bothering you?

I am proud of the hunt. It is extremely difficult to spot and stalk an animal. I also want to have something to remember such a great experience. The animals do not "bother" me. I have respect and love for most all creation. I am also an omnivore and it is only natural for an omnivore to eat meat.