PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips On Staying Motivated?

Dalton_Holt
December 19th, 2015, 07:20 PM
I've been working on the same novel for like two years now, with so many things going bad in the story to the point I basically had to start over. Currently I'm practically in love with the story I have and I really want to see it come to life, but I just can't get myself to finish writing it. I guess I just feel like I'm not good enough to actually write it, but that's the stupidest excuse anyone can give. So do you guys have any tips for boosting motivation?

amgb
December 28th, 2015, 12:33 PM
I've had similar problems, it's alright to feel inadequate and uncommitted. Motivation is often frustrating to deal with and hard to keep to. Starting out, we tend to feel so determined to finish something, and then slowly we lose motivation overtime. Sometimes we even lose motivation out of the blue and unexpectedly. But most importantly, you gotta believe in your ability. Believe you can achieve what you set out to achieve, that's the first and hardest step. I struggle with motivation in writing as well - I mean, I have tried a number of things, but everyone's different. Maybe make little goals that aren't overwhelming and are do-able? Tell yourself you'll write for a little bit during a period of time without distraction and without stopping, and if it's difficult to focus try something that helps with your thinking like listening to music or being in a certain environment while writing. And rest your mind. If you're always tired you'll almost always be demotivated to do anything. Keep the end goal in sight, but don't let the distance from you to the goal plant doubts inside you. You can do it, you'll get there.

I'm sorry I don't have any really good tips... :/

Sheriff McGregor
January 21st, 2016, 01:16 AM
Go to a coffee shop, library or special area where you have nothing to distract you.