PDA

View Full Version : Delaying posting?

Endeavour
December 16th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Is there a way to 'delay posting' a post, so that it comes on at a specific time?

Desuetude
December 16th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Nope, no queue for posts. I don't see why it's needed either really. There are no threads that would require such a feature.

lacey02
December 16th, 2015, 06:22 PM
that would be kinda cool to program a message to someone like on their birthday.

ZacTheZebra
December 17th, 2015, 03:46 PM
thats such a good idea you should post that in suggestions adventitious i would support that

devotionnel
December 17th, 2015, 04:15 PM
You should put it on the suggestions section c:

Gwen
December 18th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Nope, no queue for posts. I don't see why it's needed either really. There are no threads that would require such a feature.

I'm sure that someone would use it for their song of the day threads because real life stuff happens and you can't be on everyday to update it I suppose. That is literally the only way I could see a use for it however so I'm not really sure if it is worth implementing either.

azure moonstone
December 18th, 2015, 06:29 PM
I'm sure that someone would use it for their song of the day threads

aww that defeats the purpose of actually posting a song every day :lol:

Seriously though, I don't see post queueing being something necessary here. Unlike tumblr (which has post queueing) the point is that VT is primarily a help and advice site. I know that we have general discussions forums (which are near and dear to my own heart :heart:), but someone is bound to use something like this to set up 100 "last thing you ate" posts.

Endeavour
December 19th, 2015, 06:17 AM
but someone is bound to use something like this to set up 100 "last thing you ate" posts.

Well maybe have monitoring/moderating on this? We already have moderating on double posting, so prevent too many people using this feature?

Desuetude
December 19th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Well maybe have monitoring/moderating on this? We already have moderating on double posting, so prevent too many people using this feature?
Essentially there is no automatic moderation that tells you when people double post. Its all done through people reporting posts. Having a queue feature will just lead to unnecessary spam and it'll make the mods work so much harder than it should be. I don't see the benefits of a feature like this on VT anyway.

azure moonstone
December 19th, 2015, 07:21 AM

I don't really understand how it could be monitored. Something like this wouldn't mean it would be set up to consecutively post. What if it's used to make posts at 100 random times, and that member doesn't really log in for a month? It doesn't necessarily have to be in the same thread (I just used a common list thread as a ridiculous example).

I don't really see the point, to be honest. VT is a help site, and posts in the help sections shouldn't get automated responses (I don't even see how you could do that anyways, except with the Non Self Harm Calendar, but if you're setting that up to auto post then you're defeating the purpose of it anyways). At the same time - general discussions really can't have this either. There are all the random threads in TWPR, and you can't debate in ROTW on by setting up posts in advance. Like I mentioned before - setting up to auto post in list threads like "what's the weather like," "how do you feel," and "last TV show you watched" - while they are threads that a lot of people post in (including myself :))...that's just to the point of making this forum completely impersonal.

Endeavour
December 21st, 2015, 11:12 AM
Ok, fair enough.
It was just an idea that popped into my head after seeing it in other forums.