PDA

View Full Version : An overwhelming urge to badly hurt myself

Babs
December 7th, 2015, 07:00 PM
I don't really like to talk about this a whole lot, but I decided I really fucking should.

I have an overwhelming urge to badly hurt myself. I spent today contemplating the possibility of stabbing myself in the leg. I get these thoughts, "You should just stab yourself. Just do it." I feel like someone, somewhere wants me to do it and they're trying to tell me because if I get stabbed, someone else won't.

And I don't know how to deal with it. Tell me it's absolutely crazy and that I shouldn't do it.

Fiction
December 8th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Okay first of all those types of beliefs sound as though you may be suffering from psychosis, which is really quite worrying. Do you know those beliefs aren't true, or do you honestly believe that someone else will get stabbed if you don't stab yourself?

Other than those beliefs they do sound like urges that i've had previously and unfortunately there is no easy answer to getting rid of them. The best suggestion I have, still to this day, is to distract yourself in any way you can. I used to find that getting out the house and just running until it really hurt used to help. Nowadays I tend to call someone on the phone. Someone you enjoy talking too and seeing if it distracts you.

If you're suffering from psychosis though, you really should ask for help. Although I do appreciate how hard that is.

Babs
December 8th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Okay first of all those types of beliefs sound as though you may be suffering from psychosis, which is really quite worrying. Do you know those beliefs aren't true, or do you honestly believe that someone else will get stabbed if you don't stab yourself?

Yes and no, but mostly yes. When I think about it as I normally would, I don't have much doubt. But I understand that it's not a conventional belief, and there aren't many people out there who would call it anything more than superstition.

Vanilla Cupcake
December 12th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Well weather it's psychosis or the truth. Why should you have to take the stabbing for someone else? Don't listen to those thoughts.
Or do you mean that it's you that might stab someone else?
If it's that. Then you should see a therapist if you have the money. You don't want to end up in prison or something yikes,

Babs
December 15th, 2015, 11:47 PM
I figured it's worth mentioning that I've been stabbing myself with small scissors since I've posted this. I haven't been seriously injured, and I'm trying to stop.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me, but this isn't the only time someone has suggested that I might be experiencing psychosis.

I've been considering asking for help, and perhaps I'll update if there's any progress on that.

Aziz
December 22nd, 2015, 09:15 PM
Find something you like to do to take your mind of it. Talk to someone you really trust. And no, you don't have to stab yourself.

Cadanance00
December 23rd, 2015, 10:00 AM
Tell me it's absolutely crazy and that I shouldn't do it.

It's absolutely crazy and you shouldn't do it. As above have said, find some other way to feel.

The Cat Man
December 26th, 2015, 10:35 PM
I don't really like to talk about this a whole lot, but I decided I really fucking should.

I have an overwhelming urge to badly hurt myself. I spent today contemplating the possibility of stabbing myself in the leg. I get these thoughts, "You should just stab yourself. Just do it." I feel like someone, somewhere wants me to do it and they're trying to tell me because if I get stabbed, someone else won't.

And I don't know how to deal with it. Tell me it's absolutely crazy and that I shouldn't do it.

No, I'm pretty sure you aren't the only one to think about that. I mean, I never thought about harming myself, but I know you're not the only one. And yes, you absolutely shouldn't do it.

And, it's a really good thing that you decided to mention this. You might get some helpful advice and it will make you feel a little better about the situation hopefully.

Fiction
December 28th, 2015, 07:53 AM
I figured it's worth mentioning that I've been stabbing myself with small scissors since I've posted this. I haven't been seriously injured, and I'm trying to stop.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me, but this isn't the only time someone has suggested that I might be experiencing psychosis.

I've been considering asking for help, and perhaps I'll update if there's any progress on that.

Just read your response to another thread about being epileptic. Is there any chance the psychosis has anything to do with that? I know epilepsy can cause hallucinations etc. So it may be worth bringing it up with the doctor you see for your epilepsy.

rianvice
February 14th, 2016, 08:15 PM
I have similar thoughts to you. I often get the urge to stab myself or burn myself. I often think that if I don't do it to myself then I have to do it to someone else, (whoever is around). Whenever I am around knives and fire I always either want to hurt myself or someone else. It's like a little voice egging me on. I'm not exactly sure what to do about these thoughts so I try to control them as best as possible.

Body odah Man
February 14th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Like others have said I also feel the urge for self punishment a lot. Like a tiny voice in my head, or my own mind, wants me to. I've never done cutting myself tho. It's not normal and you should try to avoid it. Sadly that's very hard to do, and I can't rlly give u any advice. Just know that you're not alone