PDA

View Full Version : I stopped taking my meds.

CreativeUsername
December 5th, 2015, 03:58 AM
Short version: I stopped taking my Prozac, should I tell my parents?

I had been taking Prozac for a while, for my anxiety and depression. But it didn't really do much, and I had to take four pills each day, which just sucked. So sometime, I just kinda stopped. It started by just forgetting about it, and then I stopped completely. I didn't have any side effects, and nothing has really changed since I stopped (multiple months). Now, my parents decided that I should actually stop taking it, meaning I'd gradually lower the dose over about a month. Should I tell my parents, and if so, how?

This also basically means that I have been lying to them for a few months.

Deleted User
December 5th, 2015, 10:52 AM
You should tell your parents or a doctor immediately if you stop taking any form of mediation. Going cold turkey off of many medications can cause side effects even if you're not aware of them. Most doctors will make sure you know everything but I've had a couple who have neglected to tell me things. AKA I have one medication that could kill me if I just flat out stopped.

Not to mention, if you don't tell anyone, you can't find other options. Prozac is far from the only anti-depressant you can take and, in my experience, it can be fickle. It's the most common but there are actually a lot of people who don't respond to it.

Four tablets a day is a lot though. Is that how it was prescribed?

CreativeUsername
December 5th, 2015, 01:12 PM
You should tell your parents or a doctor immediately if you stop taking any form of mediation. Going cold turkey off of many medications can cause side effects even if you're not aware of them. Most doctors will make sure you know everything but I've had a couple who have neglected to tell me things. AKA I have one medication that could kill me if I just flat out stopped.

Not to mention, if you don't tell anyone, you can't find other options. Prozac is far from the only anti-depressant you can take and, in my experience, it can be fickle. It's the most common but there are actually a lot of people who don't respond to it.

Four tablets a day is a lot though. Is that how it was prescribed?

I know what the side effects are, the doctor told me when I first got it prescribed, and I haven't had any of them, other than maybe a slight change in sleep patterns for about a week. Then everything was back to normal. Yes that is how it was prescribed. And I'm going to do mental evaluations or whatever they call it to see what med would work for me.

Deleted User
December 5th, 2015, 01:16 PM
I know what the side effects are, the doctor told me when I first got it prescribed, and I haven't had any of them, other than maybe a slight change in sleep patterns for about a week. Then everything was back to normal. Yes that is how it was prescribed. And I'm going to do mental evaluations or whatever they call it to see what med would work for me.

Okay, good. But you should tell your parents because they'll find out one way or another, especially if you have to switch meds. It's not a huge deal; if it wasn't working, it wasn't working but in the future I'd suggest not stopping any medication until you get instructions from a doctor on how to do so properly, especially at such a high dosage.

pascaldesla
December 5th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Short version: I stopped taking my Prozac, should I tell my parents?

I had been taking Prozac for a while, for my anxiety and depression. But it didn't really do much, and I had to take four pills each day, which just sucked. So sometime, I just kinda stopped. It started by just forgetting about it, and then I stopped completely. I didn't have any side effects, and nothing has really changed since I stopped (multiple months). Now, my parents decided that I should actually stop taking it, meaning I'd gradually lower the dose over about a month. Should I tell my parents, and if so, how?

This also basically means that I have been lying to them for a few months.
I think that you should not tell them...you are ok...

tovaris
January 10th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Im asuming this is prescription medication. You should at the very least tell your GP

thatgothgirluknow
January 10th, 2016, 01:12 PM
this might sound bad but i wouldn't tell them truthfully if their trying to take you off it i don't think it makes a difference anyway but in the future don't go off your meds without telling somebody

GreenSky
January 11th, 2016, 04:12 AM
many medications can cause side effects even if you're not aware of them. tell your parents