PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please?

HououinKiyoma
December 1st, 2015, 02:55 AM
What do you think of this pic? Took it a long time ago at the Elephanta Caves, Mumbai.

Bontigo Papi .
December 4th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Its really cute.

lacey02
December 4th, 2015, 01:19 PM
good photo!

Gwen
December 4th, 2015, 01:34 PM
That baby is so goddamn adorable, I love the picture!

Porpoise101
December 4th, 2015, 03:57 PM
What do you think of this pic? Took it a long time ago at the Elephanta Caves, Mumbai.
I love the pic and I also like the place you were at. It's very wholesome, familial and gentle.

HououinKiyoma
December 5th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Its really cute.

That baby is so goddamn adorable, I love the picture!

I love the pic and I also like the place you were at. It's very wholesome, familial and gentle.

Thank you so much guys! :):D Love your positive feedback!

ImCoolBeans
December 5th, 2015, 12:02 PM
I like the subject of the photo a lot. I think you can enhance the composition with a little cropping. For example, taking some off of the top and the left hand side and making it left more left weighted than centered, but still keeping a proportional size like 5x7. The same could be done on the right, or you could even do a square.

Let Me Be a Pony
December 5th, 2015, 02:32 PM
I like the subject of the photo a lot. I think you can enhance the composition with a little cropping. For example, taking some off of the top and the left hand side and making it left more left weighted than centered, but still keeping a proportional size like 5x7. The same could be done on the right, or you could even do a square.

Cropping is not a good choice generally. People should learn to follow certain rules, without editing the photo itself.
In this picture, the subject has too much space above its head.
It would also be good if the subject had much more space in front of its eyes(to the right).
Rule of thirds can be applied more directly in the composition of this photo.
Too much noise is in the picture. Guessing it was shot with a mobile phone.

Remember, OP, you'd generally want more space to be in front of the direction that the subject's eyes are facing(In this case, the subject's eyes are facing to the right).
I'd either try to get a little closer to the subject or I'd try working with a higher focal length, to compensate for the space above the subject's body.

ImCoolBeans
December 6th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Cropping is not a good choice generally. People should learn to follow certain rules, without editing the photo itself.

I do agree that it is better to frame a photo properly while setting up the composition (as you're taking it), but I do have to disagree with you that it is 'generally' not good to crop a photo. I've taken both AP and college level art classes and have heard professors recommend cropping to enhance a composition numerous times. My general rule of thumb is that the more work that goes into the pre-production, i.e. planning a composition in your head, making adjustments for juxtaposition and light (which can all take place in a matter of seconds), the less post-production work you need to do with editing -- but there is nothing wrong with cropping.

Let Me Be a Pony
December 6th, 2015, 05:37 PM
I do agree that it is better to frame a photo properly while setting up the composition (as you're taking it), but I do have to disagree with you that it is 'generally' not good to crop a photo. I've taken both AP and college level art classes and have heard professors recommend cropping to enhance a composition numerous times. My general rule of thumb is that the more work that goes into the pre-production, i.e. planning a composition in your head, making adjustments for juxtaposition and light (which can all take place in a matter of seconds), the less post-production work you need to do with editing -- but there is nothing wrong with cropping.

When you're printing a photo, let's say in 10x15, you might have a problem, depending on the amount of crop you've done.
If you give a cropped photo to a photo studio and you tell them that you want the photo to be printed in 10x15, they might crop out even more, so it fits 10x15 in the actual photo, and that will most probably fuck up the composition you've done with the crop.
That shit happened to me last time I went to a photo studio to print out some photos. Next time, I won't be printing cropped photos.

ImCoolBeans
December 6th, 2015, 09:45 PM
When you're printing a photo, let's say in 10x15, you might have a problem, depending on the amount of crop you've done.
If you give a cropped photo to a photo studio and you tell them that you want the photo to be printed in 10x15, they might crop out even more, so it fits 10x15 in the actual photo, and that will most probably fuck up the composition you've done with the crop.
That shit happened to me last time I went to a photo studio to print out some photos. Next time, I won't be printing cropped photos.
Only way to slightly fix this issue is to see what other formats the photo studio offers.

I've done most of my prints myself, in high school I had an art teacher of mine do some for me as well. Most of my portfolio is in 18x24, and one or two photos in it are cropped. As long as you're careful with your proportions and know what you're doing when printing you really shouldn't have an issue -- I had no issue with printing.

HououinKiyoma
December 15th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Snowball I had taken this pic a long time ago on a pretty decent dslr.. I thought id upload it here but i realized that the only print io had was on Facebook so yeah they degraded it a lot. I didnt really have a lot of time to take the pic tho i admit it could have been better.

ImCoolBeans Yes, i think it would be better with the top right cropped.

Let Me Be a Pony
December 15th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Snowball I had taken this pic a long time ago on a pretty decent dslr.. I thought id upload it here but i realized that the only print io had was on Facebook so yeah they degraded it a lot. I didnt really have a lot of time to take the pic tho i admit it could have been better.

In your case, OP, general types of DSLR's pretty much don't matter, unless we are connecting it all with the Megapixels(talking about the cropping in particular).
Pixels play a role into the cropping. The higher the MP of the camera, the higher the crop quality will be.
Working with animals is hard, so it's understandable why the composition doesn't follow the rule of thumb. Probably going to be filming fuckin' horses for a short documentary film and that's going to be hell - Animals with fast, unpredictable movements are a thing to practice with.

"...The higher the resolution, the more room there is to potentially crop images. Although many photographers avoid heavy cropping, sometimes it is necessary to focus on the desired subject(s). For example, sports and wildlife photographers often resort to cropping, because they might not be able to get closer to action, but at the same time do not want their final images to contain unnecessary clutter surrounding the main subject(s). As a result, they often employ heavy cropping, which ultimately reduces resolution, which is why they tend to desire as much resolution as possible and practical."

BTW, I did mention the ISO for a reason, since people advised you to do a crop. You used a high ISO in this picture. Cropping the image(depending on the way you crop it and the amount of crop) will generally make the noise more visible to the eye.

I've done most of my prints myself, in high school I had an art teacher of mine do some for me as well. Most of my portfolio is in 18x24, and one or two photos in it are cropped. As long as you're careful with your proportions and know what you're doing when printing you really shouldn't have an issue -- I had no issue with printing.

We had a photo story to conduct. The photo story had to look as if it's told in one exact day.
I did 6 pictures in one day and decided to do the the rest the next week, telling my subject to look the same exact way in our next meeting.
A week later she shows up with dyed nails. In the next picture we had to take a detail shot of her holding her phone, whilst reading a message.
I took the picture, had no other choice, since the subject didn't wish to dye her nails. Luckily, her thumbnail was the only visible nail(visible on the far right side of the frame). The thumb was gripping the right side of the phone, whilst the other 4 fingers were in the back.

I went to the studio, told them to crop the detail shot I had taken - To crop it so the thumb on the far right side is no longer in the frame, but that went to oblivion, because in order to match the proportions, other important parts of the photo had to be cropped(so it fits the aspect ratio) - Generally talking about the left side of the frame, which had the fingers sticking out from the back of the phone. A slight chunk of the left frame, which also covered the phone was cropped in order to fill that aspect ratio.
Of course, there are pictures that cropping can work, but there are also ones that it ruins the image(depending on how the image was shot).

HououinKiyoma
December 21st, 2015, 06:55 AM
A moment ago the mother was looking into the camera but when the photo came it looked away Snowball Yeah animals are tough to work with. Happy with the results tho!

devotionnel
December 21st, 2015, 08:04 AM
Good photo (:

TeenSpectral
December 23rd, 2015, 04:16 AM
They look great! Keep at it

Vanilla Cupcake
January 9th, 2016, 02:07 PM
I love the photo!
The Mom looks sad or bored or something, maybe she's tired?

everlong
January 10th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Pretty cool

thatgothgirluknow
January 10th, 2016, 01:14 PM
you got a nice angle its really cute

HououinKiyoma
January 12th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Thanks a lot!