PDA

View Full Version : Posture

TheLivingLie
November 29th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Does anyone know if there is such thing as like a posture doctor, like the equivalent as a foot doctor or orthodontist?
Or does anyone know any thing about posture and ways to improve it, cause basically I feel as though my bum is kinda pushes back and my shoulders are hunched forwards, like my friend even commented on how my shoulder blades are pointy and I noticed this morning in the mirror that when I push my shoulders back, my shoulder blades are smooth and normal.

Thanks in advance

Paraxiom
November 30th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Does anyone know if there is such thing as like a posture doctor, like the equivalent as a foot doctor or orthodontist?
Or does anyone know any thing about posture and ways to improve it, cause basically I feel as though my bum is kinda pushes back and my shoulders are hunched forwards, like my friend even commented on how my shoulder blades are pointy and I noticed this morning in the mirror that when I push my shoulders back, my shoulder blades are smooth and normal.

Thanks in advance

I haven't heard of anyone who is specified with such things - a GP should help with this. Hope this helps!

Abhorrence
November 30th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Maybe a chiropractor could help with it, they usually help with things relating to that if I remember rightly.

SethfromMI
November 30th, 2015, 10:34 PM
well I know there are doctors who specialize in feet and such, but for what your asking, maybe a chiropractor would be best

northy
December 6th, 2015, 02:31 PM
They are called chiropractors

Elysium
December 6th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I regularly see an orthopedist for my spine as I have scoliosis that required treatment a few years ago. If your posture has anything to do with that, you'll probably be referred to an orthopedist - but it's something that your regular physician would've noticed during a routine checkup, so if it's never been mentioned to you, I wouldn't even consider it. Otherwise, a chiropractor sounds good.

everlong
December 6th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I'd say a chiropractor

thegreatgatz
December 6th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Chiroprachty is somewhat controversial. See a physical therapist to help you with your posture first, rather than putting more money in the pocket of a rich chiropractor to solve a problem a physical therapist who works hard could easily address

CuteGuy889
December 8th, 2015, 08:01 PM
I think it's called "Lumbar Lordosis" ...I knw cos I too have it to a degree...It didnt matter when I was skinny...But I got a bit filled out lately and all fat went to my flat butt and a bit to my tummy...But they look dispropotinately big cos my butt & tum stick out....made worse by my narrow shoulders...

Melodic
December 8th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Every case is different. I'd talk to your regular doctor about it. They will usually recommend where to go from there and give you places that accept your health insurance. I personally had to go to physical therapy instead of a chiropractor.

Deleted User
December 10th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Another thing you can try is, as long as this doesn't cause you any sort of physical pain, if you know that pulling your shoulders back helps then make a conscious effort to do so. I had some serious posture issues when I had growth spurts as a kid that were partially caused by crossing my arms so often and just not realizing how tall I was. They are, for the most part, mostly solved now and I didn't have to see anyone for that, I just had to train myself to stand properly.

That would be the simplest way, if it's not actually a medical condition that is causing you chronic pain or acute pain when you move. Try getting said friend to just poke you when you start to hunch forward. My dad used to poke me between the shoulder blades when I started to slouch and I also became very active in choir and dance which required me to fix my posture. Even sitting in a chair, try to sit on the edge and sit up straight rather than hunching over. If it's not an injury or a defect, the easiest (and hardest since it's slow) way to fix it is just to keep overly aware of your own body and how you're standing. I still have to stop and pull my shoulders back now and then.

heresjohnny
December 11th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Maybe a chiropractor would help, but I'd just start with your regular doctor. They'd be able to refer you to someone else if needed.