PDA

View Full Version : self-harming, again? (may be triggering?)

carolinae
November 18th, 2015, 05:53 PM
I've tried for the longest time to stop cutting myself. The longest I've managed to be 'clean' must be around 6 months, and for someone who'd cut multiple times a day, that's amazing! After those six months, I discovered burning myself had the same effect as cutting on me, so I did that for two years (along with the occasional cut here and there) and then kind of stopped for no apparent reason. Recently, though, I've got this need to pick/scratch on my skin, especially my scalp and legs, until I draw blood. I tend to do this subconsciously sometimes (whilst sleeping, for example), but a lot of times I'm aware I'm doing it. I even feel the wave of relief (just like with cutting and burning), but in a minor scale, which makes me do it more often and in many different places. I don't know why I keep falling into an addiction as I get rid of another. I don't know the purpose of this post, maybe just to share what's happening. :whoops:

xXl0sth0peXx
November 18th, 2015, 09:01 PM
Fist off, congrats on making it 6 months. That's such an amazing accomplishment, and something you should be really proud about.

In regards to recent things, when you're aware that you're picking, is it because of something happening? A specific feeling or something that 'triggers' you? Is it just the urge? Something constant?

I can relate to you so much about trading in one addiction for another, and know you're not alone. If you ever need someone to talk to, you can always drop me a PM. x

Nightfall_
November 30th, 2015, 01:43 AM
I would also love to congratulate you XD . GOOD JOB!!!!!!

Um... As for scratching, I have a friend who is like this and they do it because of anxiety and panic attack's. Do you think this could be you? Everybody is different though and you could just do it as a stress relief or a subconscious thing because you don't self harm any more. Hope it helped