PDA

View Full Version : Help resources

SethfromMI
November 12th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Now maybe this is a completely bad idea, but I think it might be helpful if some resources were posted in a thread (phone numbers, websites, etc. to websites which can be used for people (obviously resources for different countries would need to be posted ideally) who are facing an emergency situation or could use more professional help.

I think this site is amazing for the fact people are able to come here and ask their peer for help. While as much help as their peer can give, sometimes, a professional is really needed. It is not a bad thing, but there are many things in which, as much good as we can do, we are just not totally qualified to be able to totally help the person.

I am not sure how this would even be set up. Maybe there is something like that already on here. It was just a random thought I had, good or bad.

azure moonstone
November 12th, 2015, 08:42 PM
We have something like this (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89857) for help dealing with depression and suicide. Also here (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29020) for abuse and rape. I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to.

SethfromMI
November 12th, 2015, 08:44 PM
We have something like this (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89857) for help dealing with depression and suicide. I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to.

haha yes this definitely would be part of it. I was also thinking though for things like eating disorders, cutting/self-harm, etc (which we may have to).

Just JT
November 12th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Tbh, there is quite a laundry list of all kinds of disorders and or support resources all over the globe
I think seth brings up a good point actually, I would not mind helping develope a thread or whatbever for this need at all, if I can help please let me know

SethfromMI
November 12th, 2015, 09:40 PM
I think phone numbers in some cases, not just websites, would also be helpful (at least to national hotlines)

Just JT
November 13th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Yes, phone numbers are very good as it delivers I stand help when needed, not when someone gets around to responding to an email

Typhlosion
November 13th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Really, the threads Ali mentioned, along with other stickied ones, we all written by users willing to help out. I think I can say that the whole of VT would appreciate if you (or anyone else!) tried yourself working on a resource thread :)

Just JT
November 13th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Really, the threads Ali mentioned, along with other stickied ones, we all written by users willing to help out. I think I can say that the whole of VT would appreciate if you (or anyone else!) tried yourself working on a resource thread :)

What exactly do you mean by a resource thread?
And where would you suggest it be put?
Sorry if I sound ignorant, just not sure I understand all of what your talking about

SethfromMI
November 14th, 2015, 09:24 AM

It is not a project I really want to lead, but was just suggesting. I know everyone wants to help, I mean, I try to help out to. but as much as we can try to help, there are many things in which someone needs professional help. It is not being mean or cruel, there are just some things people should have experienced, professional help by people who are actually trained how to do it

Just JT
November 14th, 2015, 09:47 AM
It is not a project I really want to lead, but was just suggesting. I know everyone wants to help, I mean, I try to help out to. but as much as we can try to help, there are many things in which someone needs professional help. It is not being mean or cruel, there are just some things people should have experienced, professional help by people who are actually trained how to do it

You remind me, in another forum im a member of, there are professional medics, doctors, or other types of professional health care people who volunteer on staff. They rarely are involved in threads or posting etc, as they are usually a bit older than is kids. They serve as a resourse for

I wonder if that would be something we could do here?
I know for me personally, I had a medic approach me in that forum, and we became pretty good friends, has helped me a lot, helped me see just the stuff I needed, even though he's not a mental health counselor, he's in the know of stuff. See,Ed to work, and I hear many others do as well

SethfromMI
November 14th, 2015, 09:58 AM
You remind me, in another forum im a member of, there are professional medics, doctors, or other types of professional health care people who volunteer on staff. They rarely are involved in threads or posting etc, as they are usually a bit older than is kids. They serve as a resourse for

I wonder if that would be something we could do here?
I know for me personally, I had a medic approach me in that forum, and we became pretty good friends, has helped me a lot, helped me see just the stuff I needed, even though he's not a mental health counselor, he's in the know of stuff. See,Ed to work, and I hear many others do as well

this is an incredible task to be sure. I am not sure if VT wants professionals coming on here or not (I am not sure either way). I know this site is great for teens to come together and to support each other. but I think sometimes in that pursuit, the need for professional help can get lost and it can get dangerous, for there are a lot of things which, as teens, even if we been through it, we are not qualified to do counseling or whatever. I am not knocking VT at all, it is an amazing site. there are some websites available at least on one of the threads, but even some national hotline numbers for suicide prevention or different stuff like that would be helpful to post

Just JT
November 14th, 2015, 10:16 AM
this is an incredible task to be sure. I am not sure if VT wants professionals coming on here or not (I am not sure either way). I know this site is great for teens to come together and to support each other. but I think sometimes in that pursuit, the need for professional help can get lost and it can get dangerous, for there are a lot of things which, as teens, even if we been through it, we are not qualified to do counseling or whatever. I am not knocking VT at all, it is an amazing site. there are some websites available at least on one of the threads, but even some national hotline numbers for suicide prevention or different stuff like that would be helpful to post

Oh I agree, I think it's easy for important stuff to fall apart in a place like VT.
It's also a great resource for,teens to seek advice, like,I sought you out last summer, and that was awsome, very helpfull. Hotline phone numbers are a good recourse, as well as other numbers to call for an emergency, like in a case of abuse, how many threads have you read about some kid being abused, confused, and not knowing where to turn.
I know I've seen threads that offer a lot of information about different types of abuse, and where to get help for that type of abuse.

But I think your talking about one thread, an organized thread, that has all this information in it, neat and orderly so it easy to find, I think....

SethfromMI
November 14th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Oh I agree, I think it's easy for important stuff to fall apart in a place like VT.
It's also a great resource for,teens to seek advice, like,I sought you out last summer, and that was awsome, very helpfull. Hotline phone numbers are a good recourse, as well as other numbers to call for an emergency, like in a case of abuse, how many threads have you read about some kid being abused, confused, and not knowing where to turn.
I know I've seen threads that offer a lot of information about different types of abuse, and where to get help for that type of abuse.

But I think your talking about one thread, an organized thread, that has all this information in it, neat and orderly so it easy to find, I think....

yes. well this or, or for have individual ones for depression/suicide, eating disorders, etc. but one thread could be very helpful. and maybe this is not a huge need. I can understand that too, just something I was thinking about

Just JT
November 14th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I think it would be good, one place, one thread, should probably be stickied so it's noticable
I was just wondering if it should be left open, so people could post, maybe offer information they have to offer, or keep it closed and name members pm the op the information, and just edit the post when needed

What do you think?

SethfromMI
November 14th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I think it would be good, one place, one thread, should probably be stickied so it's noticable
I was just wondering if it should be left open, so people could post, maybe offer information they have to offer, or keep it closed and name members pm the op the information, and just edit the post when needed

What do you think?

Well I think part of this is making sure the sources posted are quality and legit and not just random postings from others. but then again, how does one go about deciding which ones are quality or not? I realize this would be a big undertaking but it def has to be regulated if it is going to be done (obviously the boards are regulated by mods, but you get what I mean)

Just JT
November 14th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Well I think part of this is making sure the sources posted are quality and legit and not just random postings from others. but then again, how does one go about deciding which ones are quality or not? I realize this would be a big undertaking but it def has to be regulated if it is going to be done (obviously the boards are regulated by mods, but you get what I mean)

Well yeah, if someone recommends one, then it would need to be tested somehow, or they'd send a link with the info on it for review
If someone posts wrong information, it would need to be removed
That sounds like something a mod would need to do, again, like yiu said, a huge undertaking

I wonder if there is a way where admin can allow an op of a particular thread, to mod that thread only so changes could be made when needed, but only in that thread. Do you know by chance?

SethfromMI
November 14th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Well yeah, if someone recommends one, then it would need to be tested somehow, or they'd send a link with the info on it for review
If someone posts wrong information, it would need to be removed
That sounds like something a mod would need to do, again, like yiu said, a huge undertaking

I wonder if there is a way where admin can allow an op of a particular thread, to mod that thread only so changes could be made when needed, but only in that thread. Do you know by chance?

I am not sure, but such a thread, if possible, should probably be admin/mod ran anyways

Just JT
November 14th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Yeah probably, was just thinking of how to help, not as in being in charge and advising, cause immnot the one people want for that I don't think, but as far as collecting info and posting it or something Id be interested in that