PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider art?

grossgod11
February 7th, 2014, 04:48 PM
What do you consider art? Do you think music and art are two different things? Or not? What is art to you?

The Trendy Wolf
February 7th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Art, in my opinion, is anything created or acted with a passion. Emotions flow with ease through our words, writing, and body, and it is only natural that another's emotional display makes people also feel emotions of their own.

All things, including painting, poetry, photography, acting, music, films, and writing are forms of art and emotion that all have a meaning.

Charlie48
February 7th, 2014, 05:13 PM
anything that is creative.

JollyToes
February 7th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Anything that causes emotion or makes you think outside the box is art IMO.

unknownuser
February 7th, 2014, 08:16 PM
The world.
And everything in it.

Feraligatr
February 7th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Everything is art.

grossgod11
February 8th, 2014, 12:42 AM
I agree with you all, its cool to see peoples perspectives on it.

Its Pretty
February 8th, 2014, 01:44 AM
An object or thought created with the primary intent of being aesthetically pleasing.

A painting is art.

A building that is designed first for housing and then after to be aesthetically pleasing is not art.

A doodle in the corner of a textbook meant to break the time is art.

Things created with an evil intent by rule are not art. I.E. vandalism of any kind is not art.

JamesSuperBoy
February 8th, 2014, 02:10 AM
The Earth without art is just Eh

ksdnfkfr
February 8th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Art, in my opinion, is anything created or acted with a passion. Emotions flow with ease through our words, writing, and body, and it is only natural that another's emotional display makes people also feel emotions of their own.

All things, including painting, poetry, photography, acting, music, films, and writing are forms of art and emotion that all have a meaning.

This is like the perfect definition of at.

grossgod11
February 8th, 2014, 11:57 PM
The Earth without art is just Eh

I like that one

AlexOnToast
February 10th, 2014, 04:21 AM

Just perfect. Couldnt have said it better myself :)

Achillea
February 16th, 2014, 07:14 PM
I recently watched "Exit through the Gift Shop" which is basically a documentary about some of the worlds greatest graffiti artists, including London graffiti artist Banksy. (It's on netflix btw ;) ) After watching it I was so blown over by the beauty and creativity of these artists, especially Banksy. It contrasted strongly however with the other side of the documentary; its camera man decides to become a graffiti artist after following others for several years and, let's just say that it made me laugh with anger but also impressed me. maybe this guy actually was extremely clever?
Art often conjures up the image of the Mona Lisa- who sits in the Louvre Museum, Paris.
I have personally visited the Louvre and seen the famous painting hanging there and genuinely it was probably the biggest let downs of my life other than New York City.
I was more drawn to the fantastic statues and crazy faces of other paintings, with more action. And the fantastic street art. Some people could look at the Mona Lisa and fall to their knees with amazement, it all depends on the person.
Basically what that long spiel was trying to say is that Art is something that was captured, that speaks to you, that captivates you and enthralls you. Soooo dreamy:)

Philleeep
February 16th, 2014, 07:32 PM

It's also subjective and means something different to different. A lot of people don't understand modern sculpture but the art isn't necessarily the thing infront of you, but the art could be the stance or challenge it brings to modern life whether it be political or a display of what we can now achieve.

Nick M
February 18th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Art to me is something I suck at :P
But seriously, I think music and drawing are both art.

xXl0sth0peXx
February 18th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I think "art" itself is a broad term. I think there are different things to fall into art. Webster defines art as "something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings". And I think that's true.

I think art has 'subcategories' under which everything listed above falls. Crafting, such as knitting or sewing is one type, photography and film is another. Literature is one too, where you'd see books and poetry.

So basically, I like what Literate said. Art itself is broad but so many things fall into it. Art is so much more than just drawing and painting.

Art to me is something I suck at :P

I'd like to counteract this. I don't think there's one person who sucks at art, because it is so broad. Maybe you suck at drawing like me, but you're good at a different type of art. There are so many types, and everyone has something that they can do better than something else. I'm awful when it comes to drawing, but I'm alright at basic graphic design. I'm not great at it compared to professionals, but compared to drawing, I'm great at graphic design.

backjruton
February 19th, 2014, 11:33 AM
A lot of things are "art", but things like this (http://artschoolstolemyvirginity.tumblr.com/)
http://25.media.tumblr.com/c499848d60623e3841234e4c7df41284/tumblr_n11uu9wQ941sjtp2to1_500.jpg
aren't...

(It's the thing in London called "Art school stole my virginity")

Or... it could be, but I don't understand how having sex is art just because you do it in an exhibit with people watching.

My art has been stuff like drawing South Park characters for a few months non stop, making countless levels on LittleBigPlanet (http://lbp.me/u/MonsterJ4k) and drawing random characters from Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter and Family Guy also XD

I also made a giant slug out of paper and tape and wrapped it up in string. For anyone that has heard of Cornelia Parker (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cornelia+parker+the+distance&rlz=1C1CHFX_enGB506GB506&oq=cornelia+parker+the+distance&aqs=chrome..69i57.3327j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8) before, (she's an artist somehow (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cornelia+parker+spilt+milk&rlz=1C1CHFX_enGB506GB506&oq=cornelia+parker+spilt+milk&aqs=chrome..69i57.3841j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8)) this thing is called Sabotage, she did it and it made her famous. One of my college projects was to make something inspired by her work so I did it but the only problem is I used my own work and not someone else's...

I am a very opinionated person when it comes to things like this.
(I have linked the Google searches so you can see more yourself if you haven't seen this yet)

Miserabilia
February 19th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I think art is something that can't be defined.
As long as the person says it's art, it becomes art and the person becomes an artist.

The closest you'll get to a definition is "Something you create (or intentionaly leave out) with a purpose that is not nescecairly practical"

grossgod11
February 22nd, 2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the reasponces this is awesome people keep on commenting. Its nice to see what people think of such a broad topic.