PDA

View Full Version : Too many fucking meds

City Kid
November 11th, 2015, 03:11 PM
So I've been on Escitalopram since March this year. After the usual 4 weeks an antidepressant takes to kick in it actually helped me quite a lot. It made me feel alright, life was more bearable.

Then in June I agreed to go to a mental health clinic for a while. I ended up staying three months, when the initial plan was to stay two or three weeks. Anyhow, while I was there I often asked my doctor if we could quit the medication because I just didn't feel like it did anything for me anymore. She always told me that it wasn't a good idea because I wasn't stable enough.

Right now, I'm even worse than before I started the medication. I don't even know how often I've asked my doctors to at least reduce the dosis, but now my current doctor even wants to increase it.

She also put me on additional meds. They're called Circadin and they're for my insomnia. It's basically just melatonin. It does help me sleep, though it's not a very nice kind of sleep. It feels more like I've been knocked out rather than have fallen asleep naturally. But it's better than not being able to sleep at all, I guess...

But I'm just really worried about when I'm gonna stop all this medication. I'm gonna have withdrawal symptoms. It's gonna be so hard for me too fall asleep without the extra melatonin. And I don't even want to take all of these meds! It feels like I've gotten shot and my doctors are just putting band-aid after band-aid on the wound. How about you remove the fucking bullet first?!

Does anyone of you guys have any experience with those or similar meds? Have you ever been in a situation like mine where you didn't wanna take anymore meds but you had to?

NZPerson
November 11th, 2015, 05:44 PM
I have no experience with these meds in paticular but i have some experience in the medical field and its common for drs to give a paitent medication and then any symptoms in your case insommnia they will prescribe more to fix that so its a vicious cycle of a drug given to fix one then but causes another then another drug then another blah blah blah.

In your typical hospital setting if your on point you can request ALL drugs to be taken off and be completly reevaluated however in a mental institute y and also due to your age you have less say in the matter because you may/may not be deemed competant.

Its really somthing that you need to talk to your dr about or request another dr to do a revealuation.

EDIT: this is how old people have so many drugs to take.