PDA

View Full Version : Health promotion strategy

Discomposure
November 5th, 2015, 05:25 AM
Hi guys,
Hope you're all well!
I'm wondering if I could get some help from as many of you as possible. I'm currently working to create a health promotion strategy to help people who self-harm.
I can only go off my own experience so I'm wanting as many ideas as possible if anyone has any.
What would you find effective? How can we promote self harm awareness to people? What would you respond to best? What would be the most effective way to promote health in self harm? I'm not talking about wanting people to stop, I just want to be raising awareness and promoting good health, offering alternatives and making sure people know basic first aid etc.
Thanks everyone, I appreciate any replies here.
Amy :)

Abhorrence
November 5th, 2015, 05:44 AM
Personally, I wouldn't want to talk about self-harm at all. I've had talks at my school and they make me feel really uncomfortable and awkward because no matter what people say - nobody understands why anyone self-harms. Even fellow self-harmers won't understand why I choose to hurt myself because the situations are different for everyone.
I guess the first-aid help would be a decent thing to be a part of, talking about properly cleaning wounds and dressing them because a lot of people just cut/burn and then leave it to heal by itself which could cause infection.
Honestly, introducing self-harm awareness may actually be more harmful than good. It could welcome people to start trying it when they had never even heard of it before. It sounds silly but it could actually happen. I think keeping it to an audience of people who have a preexisting problem would be best.

Discomposure
November 5th, 2015, 07:41 AM
I completely understand that. I myself wouldn't want to talk about it. It is mainly things like first aid that I'm going for not so much talking about it. Just health promotion - so people know where they can get help should they want it etc. I'm just struggling with the health promotion part, its like the frank service for people who use drugs.
It doesn't sound silly I agree with you that some people after reading or hearing about it etc will consider trying it. Again I agree with you the audience would be people who already self-harm or know somebody that does, that's why the strategy would be for people who self harm.
Just wanting to know what people would find useful.

Thanks for your reply :)

Miserabilia
November 5th, 2015, 03:11 PM
I think "anonymous' help would be amazing to have, in almost all schools you can't seek help without blatanlty having your parents and friends told like you're just having a flu or something.
As for providing information I wouldn't really know, maybe show a story of someone that used to self harm? I think that would help stopping people from starting.