PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Force Awakens

SillyShyGuy
October 20th, 2015, 11:38 PM
The trailer for the new Star Wars movie released around 6 pm yesterday. It is not like the two teasers we have seen.

What are your thoughts of the trailer? Share what you think about the upcoming film. What are you looking forward to and what you want to see happen?

As a huge Star Wars fan, I am excited as ever. I love the classic trilogy as much as the prequels and there is no one who knows Star Wars better than me for hundreds of miles. I follow the books, video games, and movies alike.

Babs
October 23rd, 2015, 03:51 PM
I'm pretty skeptical of it. I kind of think it should have been left as is after the original trilogy. I don't like the prequels. But on the other hand, I think now that George Lucas isn't involved as much (which I think was the issue with the prequels) it could be good. I'll probably watch it eventually.

Uniquemind
December 16th, 2015, 01:27 AM
Well it premiered and some spoilers have leaked on reddit.

Taryn98
December 16th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Got my ticket, going to see it tomorrow at 7pm, the first showing in my town. Can't wait!

SethfromMI
December 16th, 2015, 10:30 PM
I am going to go see it sometime over break for sure

azure moonstone
December 16th, 2015, 10:36 PM
I'm assuming this will be in theaters for at least a few weeks, so I will probably see it before the end of the year. Not really worried about being spoiled about this movie, because after the first few hours it will be all over the internet anyways and you probably couldn't avoid it if you tried.

phuckphace
December 17th, 2015, 02:05 AM
not going to watch it. the original films were epic space adventures that were mainly good because people other than George Lucas had creative control over the production. when given a pen and paper without supervision, Lucas' "work" is cringeworthy beyond belief.

also, Disney. nothing is sacred when it comes to them. casting could not be more pander-y and PC. the Y2K is strong with this one

http://i.imgur.com/l1XWiAo.jpg

Paraxiom
December 17th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I can't give an opinion without watching, so I am doing so tomorrow. Regardless of that though, I would not be surprised if it gets more than 3 billion USD profit.

Taryn98
December 17th, 2015, 11:47 PM
I watched it tonight. I won't give anything away, but will say some aspects of it were awesome and others were pretty weak. Visually it's more lifelike than the CGI of the prequels. The story has certain aspects that mirror the originals closely, yet there is enough that is unique enough for it to be refreshing.
The characters have a lot of room to grow and develop which bodes well for parts 8-9. I think it will be easier to give a good judgment of this movie after we see 8-9 and know the entire story.
Overall, out of the 7 movies that have been made, it would fall somewhere in the middle. Not nearly as exciting and action packed as Revenge of the Sith or Return of the Jedi, but not as annoying as Phantom or as one dimensional as A New Hope.

Sherman
December 18th, 2015, 12:10 AM
I watched it tonight. I won't give anything away, but will say some aspects of it were awesome and others were pretty weak. Visually it's more lifelike than the CGI of the prequels. The story has certain aspects that mirror the originals closely, yet there is enough that is unique enough for it to be refreshing.
The characters have a lot of room to grow and develop which bodes well for parts 8-9. I think it will be easier to give a good judgment of this movie after we see 8-9 and know the entire story.
Overall, out of the 7 movies that have been made, it would fall somewhere in the middle. Not nearly as exciting and action packed as Revenge of the Sith or Return of the Jedi, but not as annoying as Phantom or as one dimensional as A New Hope.
I think you are very spot on. I just can't wait until the next ones to come out to continue the story.

Soapie
December 18th, 2015, 01:58 AM

I like your review but my order of the movies is way diff from yours lol
Phantom is the best and Return of the Jedi the worst. The good parts of The Force Awakens I thought were the action and characters and wasn't refreshing to see a female as the hero of the movie. But I have a tendency for liking the bad guys so seeing them chase after Han and the rest of the Rebels shooting at them to finally catch up to them and say "freeze! Don't move" really annoys me plus with Star Wars, is anyone truly dead like that pilot? How did he reappear? Maybe I missed that explanation although I thought it was said he fell into a dark hole and just woke up alive and somewhere else...?

Paraxiom
December 18th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Just watched it, really liked the CGI, but other parts were not so to my liking. I will not give any spoliers, but it did remind me of past things. You'll see what I mean.

BondJamesBond
December 19th, 2015, 02:48 AM
I'm going to see this tomorrow, and I can't wait! :D I didn't care much for the prequels. They were OK, but you could see that they were following the scripts, step by step, which made the acting performances boring in my opinion, plus, there were too many things that didn't make sense to the original trilogy.

Uniquemind
December 19th, 2015, 02:52 AM
I'm sad that the expanded universe is gone.

I haven't seen it yet. I will sometime in late December or January.

azure moonstone
December 21st, 2015, 12:02 AM
I actually ended up seeing this earlier today (kind of a lunch-date thing), and I have to say that I went into it with expectations of it being average. Setting my bar at that point - I was pretty pleased with it and thought it was a good movie.

:heart: love Love LOVE Rey - the new heroine

Babs
December 21st, 2015, 12:08 AM
I am pleasantly surprised this movie. I wasn't expecting much but it was fuckin amazing.

BondJamesBond
December 21st, 2015, 03:42 PM
Watched it yesterday, and I was not disappointed. Star Wars is back! :D

james wolf
December 22nd, 2015, 09:22 AM
Probably my favourite Star Wars movie. The modern effects really make the action sequences a lot more exciting than the the ones in the OT, but they don't overdo CGI like in the PT.

Rey and Finn are great. Enough said :P

Kylo Ren is an awesome villain; he is much more three dimensional than Vader.

I'm really looking forward to the next 2!

BlackParadePixie
December 22nd, 2015, 09:01 PM
Saw it last night. LOVED it!

Porpoise101
December 22nd, 2015, 09:33 PM
Seeing it tomorrow

bbwolf26
December 22nd, 2015, 09:37 PM
I saw it. It was really good. Will go see it again.

SillyShyGuy
December 23rd, 2015, 01:52 AM
It was very emotional for me to see the original cast, original Star Wars opening crawl, and the original Star Wars ending. I cried so many times throughout. I cried the most when I saw Luke after all these years.

TeenSpectral
December 23rd, 2015, 04:17 AM
Just watched it! Amazing

Porpoise101
December 23rd, 2015, 04:59 PM
I loved it. I knew Abrams would pull through, he does almost always.

Skywalker007
December 26th, 2015, 08:01 AM
It's definitely different from the other ones so far but not in a bad way, you have to adapt to some new things. The only downside to it might be the plot but I don't wanna drop spoilers so...

KeeganW
December 26th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Saw it, really liked it, more like the first 3 episodes.

lliam
December 26th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Saw it, really liked it, more like the first 3 episodes.

That was to be expected. Finally, "The force awakens!" continues the story from Part 3 leading the story into the near future. So it's practically part 4. Even though it's well done, I expected more from it.

SethfromMI
December 29th, 2015, 09:50 PM
That was to be expected. Finally, "The force awakens!" continues the story from Part 3 leading the story into the near future. So it's practically part 4. Even though it's well done, I expected more from it.

actually it would technically be part 7. the original three movies were 4-6.

at any rate I got to admit, I was not impressed. it was ok and worth seeing, but not impressed

mrpieface2
December 29th, 2015, 10:22 PM
This movie is just amazing. I wasn't a big Star Wars fan coming into the movie, but when I came out, boy was I hooked. Kylo Ren is just... wow. SPOILER ALERT! (I warned you!) I feel like Kylo IS going to be the next Darth Vader, but better, especially after seeing what happened at the end of the movie.

StoppingTom
December 30th, 2015, 12:22 AM
Loved it. Some thoughts (SPOILERS):
•Captain Phasma has GOT to have huge role in the next one. She's been too hyped not too.
•Kylo Ren is as impulsive as Anakin and Luke. Nice to see some continuity in that regard.
•I hope they don't try to shoehorn in as many old characters in the next movies. I really felt like there was a bit too much of that.
•Hail TR-8R! The hero we need, not the one we deserve.

Microcosm
December 30th, 2015, 12:45 AM
This new Star Wars release has introduced me to the series. It wasn't the first one I watched, though. Because of the early hype for it before it was released in theaters, I went and watched Episodes 1-5, then went to see it. I actually really like Star Wars now.

As for my opinions specifically on The Force Awakens, I thought it was really phenomenal. It was an almost perfect mixture of the old characters with the new and I loved that.

The new characters were introduced exceedingly well, the acting was phenomenal, and the humor was well-placed, well-written, and generally got a chuckle out of most people in the theater(myself included).

lliam
December 30th, 2015, 07:45 AM
actually it would technically be part 7. the original three movies were 4-6.

That's what bothers me about Star Wars. I always mess up those film versions. Maybe you've to be a real fan or such, to get not confused by this. http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

SethfromMI
December 30th, 2015, 09:59 AM
That's what bothers me about Star Wars. I always mess up those film versions. Maybe you've to be a real fan or such, to get not confused by this. image (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif)

lol it can be confusing I know. the original three (4-6 are the best by far). the prequel (1-3 are good, I think better than what some say but not as good as the originals). this new one (now episode 7) I was meh about

lliam
December 30th, 2015, 01:33 PM
lol it can be confusing I know. the original three (4-6 are the best by far). the prequel (1-3 are good, I think better than what some say but not as good as the originals). this new one (now episode 7) I was meh about

so if I got it wrong, this the chronological order of all episodes so far:

1999 - Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
2002 - Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones
2005 - Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith

1977 - Episode 4 - A New Hope
1980 - Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back
1983 - Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi

2015 - Episode 7 - The Force Awakens
2017 - Episode 8
2019 - Episode 9

I share your pov of part 4-6. ... in terms of FXs, which were certainly very complex for the 1970s/1980s and which imo are in no way inferior to the computer-animated effects of the 2000s movies.

SethfromMI
December 30th, 2015, 01:37 PM
so if I got it wrong, this the chronological order of all episodes so far:

1999 - Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
2002 - Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones
2005 - Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith

1977 - Episode 4 - A New Hope
1980 - Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back
1983 - Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi

2015 - Episode 7 - The Force Awakens
2017 - Episode 8
2019 - Episode 9

I share your pov of part 4-6. ... in terms of FXs, which were certainly very complex for the 1970s/1980s and which imo are in no way inferior to the computer-animated effects of the 2000s movies.

got it right on the timeline and yea, I think the originals are superior in most ways for sure

phuckphace
December 30th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I actually don't have a huge issue with CGI (as long as it's done well) and I've never understood why some folks object to it so much. I don't think it's necessarily crucial to a movie being enjoyable, but it has its place.

my main problem with the newer SW films isn't CGI Yoda but instead the corny pandering to the millennial audience with scenes like teen heartthrob Anakin hanging out in a space-bar drinking space-booze, etc. I thought the older puppet-Yoda made suspension of disbelief more difficult - watching it as a little kid reminded me of Kermit in a Muppets episode. this is not to say the GTA: Coruscant scenes with flying cars(!!!!!!!) were much better either but you get my point, hopefully

lacey02
December 30th, 2015, 02:50 PM
I liked the movie, but it probably did not meet all the hype. I also need to see the prior episodes to see how the story really goes. weird to need to watch movies made before I was born!

Vanilla Cupcake
January 1st, 2016, 04:29 PM
I can't wait to go see it, I love R2D2 and Yoda they are my favourite!

james wolf
January 3rd, 2016, 09:33 AM
I actually don't have a huge issue with CGI (as long as it's done well) and I've never understood why some folks object to it so much. I don't think it's necessarily crucial to a movie being enjoyable, but it has its place.

my main problem with the newer SW films isn't CGI Yoda but instead the corny pandering to the millennial audience with scenes like teen heartthrob Anakin hanging out in a space-bar drinking space-booze, etc. I thought the older puppet-Yoda made suspension of disbelief more difficult - watching it as a little kid reminded me of Kermit in a Muppets episode. this is not to say the GTA: Coruscant scenes with flying cars(!!!!!!!) were much better either but you get my point, hopefully

I'd agree with you that CGI isn't that bad. However, it was a bit too jarring in the prequels were almost every other set was just green/blue screened. CGI can be used to great effect for awesome battles etc. but using it to create a set IMO is lazy and takes me out of the movie. Also I agree that puppet Yoda was bad - he looked worse than the original from Episode 5.

That said, overuse of CGI is not my main gripe with the prequels.

My main gripes are:
Lack of relatable, likeable protagonist.
Everyone is stupid to make the plot progress.
The plot is overly complicated.
Terrible dialogue.

Those are the main 4 problems I have, but there are lots more.

Beach_Blonde
January 3rd, 2016, 06:23 PM
I'm not going to lie I liked the prequel triloigy. I also like the Original trilogy. I just love star wars. I think both trilogys have their own merits and are different in a good way.
I really liked Episode Seven. It actually lived up to my expectiions. I cried I laughed I was on he edgeof my sit. It was really really good. I feel like some o you who weren't really impressed either hyped yourselfsup to much or just went with the expection/hope of the movie sucking. I think it was great at any rate. And in the age of nothing but reboots it is what we need to prove that you can continue a series without it sucking.

Beach_Blonde
January 3rd, 2016, 06:42 PM
not going to watch it. the original films were epic space adventures that were mainly good because people other than George Lucas had creative control over the production. when given a pen and paper without supervision, Lucas' "work" is cringeworthy beyond belief.

also, Disney. nothing is sacred when it comes to them. casting could not be more pander-y and PC. the Y2K is strong with this one

image (http://i.imgur.com/l1XWiAo.jpg)

You do realize that George Lucas had absolutely nothing to do with this film right. And that the movie was actually scripted by Lawrence Kasdan the same person who wrote The Empire Strikes Back (probably the best SW ever) and Return of the Jedi wrote The Force Awakens. So no cringeworthy Lucas work.
And who cares its Disney that is producing. Disney is a giant who has the money to get the very best to direct and write. And they also have the money to do Star Wars right. I mean look what they did with The Avengers. When it comes to huge fan bases like Marvel and Star Wars and the money that those fans bring in. To make money Disney will hold anythimg Sacred.

And I resent you whole remark about their casting. What makes it. Pandery ad PC? The fact that one of the main characters is black. So are you one of those people who boycotted Star Wars because there are not enough white people in it? Or the fact that for the first time we have a woman for the main hero, and that the main woman is wearing real cloths.
What you call pandery and PC some people think is actually progress.