PDA

View Full Version : What's your diagnosis?

City Kid
October 18th, 2015, 09:27 AM
I was wondering how many of you actually have been diagnosed by a professional.

For me personally, being diagnosed with a specific disorder was a great relief. I can deal way better with the way I feel when I can put a name tag on it, you know?

My diagnosis is "Mixed anxiety and depressive disorder", which means that by definition I have an anxiety disorder (with symptoms of depression).

Have you been diagnosed? If so, how do you feel about your diagnosis? Did it make it easier for you to deal with your disorder like it did for me?

Melodic
October 18th, 2015, 08:13 PM
I've been diagnosed loads of times with different things.

I was first diagnosed with Bipolar and ADHD when I was 5. They realized in a short time that I didn't have ADHD so that diagnosis went away. Then I got diagnosed with Aspergers and Anxiety at 11. Then I got changed from Bipolar to Major Depression when I was 16 along with Sluggish Cognitive Tempo.

Mars
October 18th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Diagnosed with ADHD but I don't take meds for it (my dad doesn't think its something that needs to be medically controlled). I don't really care about it tbh, its just a life thing. I also have anxiety due to a lot of shit happening as a kid but once again, its not a big deal so I don't take meds for it

Abyssal Echo
October 18th, 2015, 10:55 PM
Diagnosed with Bipolar with Schizoaffective disorder.

Dying Ember
October 19th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Depressive disorder with associated anxiety and ASD

Abhorrence
October 19th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Major Depression and Generalised Anxiety.

Gwen
October 19th, 2015, 11:34 PM
Aspergers, depression, ptsd, anything else has been mostly unofficial side diagnosis by child psychiatrists.

JavierDolan
October 19th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Melancholic depression and noise-induced anxiety.

ObliviousCat
October 21st, 2015, 01:11 AM
Major depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I used to have anorexia nervosa, but I've long since recovered. I don't take medication for either of my disorders.

wisp
October 22nd, 2015, 06:05 PM
Depression, PTSD, traits of BPD, and social anxiety, all professionally diagnosed. And yeah, it was so great hearing that I wasn't just making up problems. I had stomach issues when I was little (which we've since discovered were from the anxiety), and nearly every doctor told me I was making it up for attention, so I really internalized that.

Dalcourt
October 23rd, 2015, 10:35 PM
I'm diagnosed with Bipolar, PTSD, ADHD and my current therapist claims I have anorexia nervosa, too.

I don't care about being diagnosed with whatever cuz it doesn't really change anything as it goes mostly untreated.

Harley Quinn
October 23rd, 2015, 10:43 PM
Emotional instability (which is just the new term for borderline personality disorder), depression and severe anxiety. At first I didn't want to know what was wrong with me, even though I knew there was something wrong with me I'd always deny it. But, then I came around to understanding and accepting it more and it actually helped me to know what it was I was experiencing.

Princess Ariel
November 17th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Bipolar, depression, anxiety, PTSD, and a generalized borderline personality disorder recently (like a week ago)

Deleted User
November 17th, 2015, 10:54 PM
I was diagnosed with major depression, social anxiety, generalized anxiety, and traits of bipolar II when I was 15. Borderline Personality Disorder when I was 18 and more recently the idea of bipolar II was up in the air again when my doctor put me on bipolar meds and my symptoms started to lessen. Can't get an official diagnosis without taking me off my meds though which she said was a bad idea.

Also I had all the criteria for anorexia but it never got diagnosed.

thatgothgirluknow
November 30th, 2015, 10:42 AM
ADD, Ptsd, generalized anxiety and depression was told i had anorexia by my theripst but have since recovered looking into possible epilepsy and ocd i haven't been on meds for any of my disorders since June truthfully i think i already knew that i had depression and ptsd before they where diagnosed but it really helped when someone else finally saw that it was a problem so that i could get the help i needed

Karkat
February 1st, 2016, 06:29 PM
My 'diagnosis' is really vague and no one really wants to tell me specifics so I'll just give you what I know has been discussed and I've more or less been verified to have.

-Mood disorder NOS/TBD (probable bipolar), dissociative and psychotic symptoms potentially related to mania
-GAD, with panic symptoms, and major OCD tendencies
-ADHD
EDIT:
-anorexic tendencies

What I personally believe I have or could have (diagnosed or not):

-Bipolar I or rapid cycling bipolar, possible BPD
-GAD w/panic symptoms/possible panic disorder, possible PTSD/PTSD symptoms, mild OCD
-ADHD, dyscalculia (math dyslexia, in essence)
-ASD/PDD, (autism, mid to high functioning. Probable dyspraxia and APD, possible apraxia)
EDIT:
-EDNOS, emotional and binge eating

I was also wrongly diagnosed with schizophrenic tendencies at 12. I do not believe I am schizophrenic.
The doctor who made that evaluation is not a credible one and no longer practices medicine anyways, so...

Edit: I completely forgot about ED whoops

I just have a lot of 'issues' :P Sometimes I forget everything that's wrong with me mentally and physically because I have to go down a huge fucking list lol
All I know is I have obstacles and hindrances, and I have to work to not let them get me down. Diagnosis is HUGE, because it means proper treatment, others can better understand you (one might not understand why the fuck someone has an adult 'temper tantrum', but might understand that autism exists and it's beyond the person's control, etc. Not always the case- disability of any kind is hugely stigmatized [especially mental illness, autism, etc], and misunderstood/feared), you can better understand yourself (this is because I have a disorder, not because I'm a "freak")(It's easier to understand why you do the things you do), etc.

However, at the end of the day, the most important thing is knowing yourself, and how to handle the things life throws at you as a result of the difficulties you face (and in general)

warbit
February 1st, 2016, 06:56 PM
Just ocd... Slightly underwhelming after reading every own else's :)

districtnowhere
February 1st, 2016, 07:20 PM
Diagnosed with depression, anxiety and ocd. Taking meds but it seems like they recently are not working anymore...

Karkat
February 1st, 2016, 07:53 PM
Diagnosed with depression, anxiety and ocd. Taking meds but it seems like they recently are not working anymore...

Have you told your psychiatrist this? Sometimes when you take the same dose of certain meds for a long period of time they stop becoming as effective, you might need to change doses/meds

City Kid
February 2nd, 2016, 04:12 AM
Just ocd... Slightly underwhelming after reading every own else's :)
It's not a contest. OCD is a very serious thing to have to deal with. Plus, how much your disorders affect you isn't defined by the amount of medical terms a psychiatrist throws at you.

districtnowhere
February 7th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Have you told your psychiatrist this? Sometimes when you take the same dose of certain meds for a long period of time they stop becoming as effective, you might need to change doses/meds

Haven't gone in a while. thinking of going next week tho. I don't know how long i can take it otherwise anymore ..

davdev17
February 8th, 2016, 12:44 AM
Severe depression

Karkat
February 8th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Haven't gone in a while. thinking of going next week tho. I don't know how long i can take it otherwise anymore ..

I see. Good luck then, I hope you get it all figured out.

Deleted User
February 16th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, major depression, borderline personality disorder and "underlying bipolar II symptoms" (can't be diagnosed because I'm taking bipolar medication that makes it too difficult to properly track).

That last bit may be bullshit since I'm starting to think my psychiatrist is a bit of a hack... she hasn't diagnosed anything but the supposed bipolar; it's all been other doctors and she's just been clinging to what they've decided instead.

I've had an eating disorder go undiagnosed and I'm pretty sure I show some serious signs of OCD compulsions.

Last but not least, I have restless leg syndrome which isn't a mental illness (it's a movement/neurological disorder) but it can severely contribute to sleep problems and consequently further depression.

Sublime Demonz
February 16th, 2016, 12:40 PM
I was finally given a diagnosis in December 2014, after talking to my doctor and having him convince my parents to let me see a therapist. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety, social anxiety, panic disorder, severe depression, and insomnia. I'm medicated for the anxiety and depression, and there's been a huge difference between the time I was diagnosed and now. Life has become easier for me, but I still have a lot of setbacks. I no longer see my therapist, but she's always there waiting in case I really need to go back.

Body odah Man
February 18th, 2016, 07:31 AM
I was finally given a diagnosis in December 2014, after talking to my doctor and having him convince my parents to let me see a therapist. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety, social anxiety, panic disorder, severe depression, and insomnia. I'm medicated for the anxiety and depression, and there's been a huge difference between the time I was diagnosed and now. Life has become easier for me, but I still have a lot of setbacks. I no longer see my therapist, but she's always there waiting in case I really need to go back.

I'm glad you've been able to find help. GL

BBen
February 21st, 2016, 02:19 AM
I was recently in the hospital and got what I believe to be my correct diagnosis of Bipolar, Anxiety, and PTSD. We found out due to heart problems a lot of meds are not safe for me so I am only taking something for Bipolar. (but I have a service dog for the PTSD in replacement to meds :wub:)

rianvice
February 21st, 2016, 07:04 PM
Not professionally diagnosed with anything, but I have my suspicions.

I've been researching from since seventh grade all my symptoms and compared them to others with similar disorders so I have an idea, but since I'm not professionally diagnosed none of that really matters. I'm in ninth grade now. Besides, I don't trust anyone enough to tell them that I think I'm mentally ill. I tried to tell my guidance counselor last year that I believed that I had depression (from since sixth grade but I didn't tell her that) and she told my mom. I didn't like the interrogation that the guidance counselor and my mom gave me. Let's just say I'm never going down that route again. I don't think I can ever get diagnosed. I don't like how the doctors will prod and pick at my brain until I let something up that will confirm just how f-ed up I am. I don't trust people in positions of power. I especially don't like the idea of people in positions of power knowing personal information about me and the way my brain works either. I'm not one to talk much about my feelings anyway, (at least in person) so I wouldn't have benefited from therapy. *shrugs* I'm not really missing out by not getting a diagnosis. As long as I know what's up, that's all that matters. Sorry for writing such a long post. I completely just rambled.

poetic_princess
March 22nd, 2016, 04:24 PM
I have been diagnosed with-
-Depression
-Anxiety
-Trichotillomania
-ADHD
-OCD (?)

Serra
April 5th, 2016, 10:51 PM
Depression and PTSD but I think i have other problems that didn't get diagnosed,cause I stopped seeing a doctor for it. I don't care whether I got diagnosed or not,and sometimes I wish I wasn't so people would see me as a normal person instead of some messed up freak.(They told me that when they found out I have issues.)

TrillClinton
April 6th, 2016, 07:38 PM
I was first diagnosed Manic-Depressive Bipolar Type 2 about 3 years ago. My current diagnosis rn is Bipolar with Borderline Personality Disorder

jdhud024
April 13th, 2016, 03:15 AM
I've been diagnosed ADHD, and I'm pretty sure that I will at some point get diagnosed for depression considering its on both sides of my family.

JellyBelly31
May 19th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Well according to the "professionals" As we call them I am a psychopath with is pretty bad I guess haha. Can't say i've done any bad stuff though. Yet....

llamabanana
May 20th, 2016, 06:30 AM
I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety too! and social difficulties (I don't know how to say it lol)it was a relief, to know its not my fault that I'm like that.

TheWaltsu
June 11th, 2016, 12:07 PM
I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. It has helped me and people around me a lot. I think they understand me better now, and to me it has been easier to understand other people.

Novocaine9
June 18th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Psychotic Depression and severe anxiety, but now they're thinking my diagnosis is more severe

four4four4
September 7th, 2016, 03:09 AM
Social and generalized anxiety
I had major depression, but it has sort of subsided into dysthymia.
Possible PTSD as well as unspecified dissociative disorder.
I'm not on a any meds, except for sleeping pills, as antidepressants made me dissociate even more.

City Kid
September 7th, 2016, 04:59 AM
Please don't bump old threads.

:locked: