PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure how to bring it up

MattyMattyy
October 13th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Hi, first of all thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

I think I have bipolar disorder; sometimes I'll be very happy and laughing constantly - it's like there's nothing to care about but then, just a little later, I'll feel really awful. Doing any simple job will suddenly be a task equivalent to climbing a mountain and I'll just end up tuning out and leaving myself to be with my suddenly depressing thoughts. Things that used to amuse me no longer do, except for a couple things which I find myself doing a lot more often in a desperate attempt to make myself sane.

Based on all of this, I think I have bipolar disorder but I'm not sure how to bring it up with my parents. We live in the UK, so money isn't a problem as healthcare over here is free but I have no idea how to ask to go for a diagnosis; it just feels so embarrassing.

All help is appreciated and again thanks for reading all of that - it-s come out a little longer than I expected :P

Desuetude
October 13th, 2015, 03:23 PM
It honestly sounds like you're over complicating it and thinking too much into behaviour that could link to so many other things. It's normal for mood to fluctuate, even very suddenly as there are triggers and other factors which could have an impact. Bipolar isn't just a case of being happy one minute and down the next. Sure the outline is that there is a 'manic' phase and a 'depressive' phase which the sufferer has to deal with and yes they tend to switch between the two but more often than not this switch isn't sudden. A person could be fine for days or weeks and then drop to that depressive state. That's only the bare outline of bipolar disorder too.

If you're really worried about yourself then just sit your parents down and tell them how you've been feeling lately. That you've been down and not finding the energy to do things you use to be able to. However I believe that, unfortunately, this is a stage which most teens go through. I went through a similar phase at about 13-16 where I was diagnosed with moderate depression during that time but I believe that it was due to my situation in school. So think about other factors which could be having a negative impact on your life and instead of attempting to get a diagnosis which will only label you and give you an excuse to feel down, try to find things which will help you feel better. Get involved with sports, go out with friends, find activities which you enjoy and that will support you with routine as well as keeping you happy.

Now I'm not telling you that you definitely don't have bipolar but self diagnoses usually aren't the most acurate things and being 13, your hormones are probably all over the place at the moment which may very well have a big impact on how you're feeling. Also, yes healthcare is free but you'd have to go through CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health services) and I'll tell you that they're pretty awful in a lot of situations. Instead of going through the NHS I'd suggest finding a nearby drop in centre because there are some which provide teens (specifically) with free therapy and it can often be very helpful talking to someone about how you're feeling, even your school guidance counsellor or youth worker might be able to help you in that respect. So that's definitely something I'd urge you to look into before going straight to the NHS (where waiting times are extortionate too).

MattyMattyy
October 13th, 2015, 06:00 PM
It honestly sounds like you're over complicating it and thinking too much into behaviour that could link to so many other things. It's normal for mood to fluctuate, even very suddenly as there are triggers and other factors which could have an impact. Bipolar isn't just a case of being happy one minute and down the next. Sure the outline is that there is a 'manic' phase and a 'depressive' phase which the sufferer has to deal with and yes they tend to switch between the two but more often than not this switch isn't sudden. A person could be fine for days or weeks and then drop to that depressive state. That's only the bare outline of bipolar disorder too.

If you're really worried about yourself then just sit your parents down and tell them how you've been feeling lately. That you've been down and not finding the energy to do things you use to be able to. However I believe that, unfortunately, this is a stage which most teens go through. I went through a similar phase at about 13-16 where I was diagnosed with moderate depression during that time but I believe that it was due to my situation in school. So think about other factors which could be having a negative impact on your life and instead of attempting to get a diagnosis which will only label you and give you an excuse to feel down, try to find things which will help you feel better. Get involved with sports, go out with friends, find activities which you enjoy and that will support you with routine as well as keeping you happy.

Now I'm not telling you that you definitely don't have bipolar but self diagnoses usually aren't the most acurate things and being 13, your hormones are probably all over the place at the moment which may very well have a big impact on how you're feeling. Also, yes healthcare is free but you'd have to go through CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health services) and I'll tell you that they're pretty awful in a lot of situations. Instead of going through the NHS I'd suggest finding a nearby drop in centre because there are some which provide teens (specifically) with free therapy and it can often be very helpful talking to someone about how you're feeling, even your school guidance counsellor or youth worker might be able to help you in that respect. So that's definitely something I'd urge you to look into before going straight to the NHS (where waiting times are extortionate too).

Okay, thanks for writing so much; the detail was very helpful! I'll keep in mind what you wrote and try to find a drop in centre. Ta again

Jaffe
October 13th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Be very cautious with self-diagnosis. But, DO talk to your doctor. Just mention what you think, and a good doctor will start asking questions. It is not something to brush off, but not something to overthink, either.

And you are 13..... when I first hit puberty, my emotions and depression and energy levels went from high extreme to low extreme in minutes, sometimes several times a day. I was the happiest kid in school at breakfast, and was totaly depressed and staring at the ceiling by dinner, unable to even move. So that may be part of it.