PDA

View Full Version : Weird cravings?

Nathan32
October 13th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Ok so for as long as I can remember I have had salt cravings, to the point where I actually eat salt on its own in MASSIVE amounts, for the longest time I havnt really thought anything of it but now it bothers me, it's like a strong sense of craving and also once I eat alot of salt I have to eat something sweet asap or I feel sick until I do, and vice versa if I eat something sweet I need alot of salt. Im not talking adding a little salt to your food for flavour its insane and from what I can tell extremely unhealthy especially seeing as heart problems run in the family and seeing as salt raises your blood pressure one could assume it's not a good idea. But it feels like my body needs it for some reason yknow?

long story short does anyone know why I have cravings for alot of salt? and should I get a medical opinion on it? thanks guys

ObliviousCat
October 13th, 2015, 07:37 PM
You should definitely consult your doctor. Salt can really affect and damage your body because it raises the amount of sodium in your bloodstream, which can interfere with your kidneys. The result of that is a higher blood pressure because of the extra fluid and strain on the blood vessels leading to the kidneys. Over time, it can cause kidney disease. Or, as you've mentioned, the raised blood pressure can cause damage to arteries leading to the heart (or the brain).
Do you experience sharp pains in your chest when being active? Be sure to let your doctor know if you are experiencing this...they'll probably ask after you tell them about the amount of salt you've been eating.

Nathan32
October 14th, 2015, 12:39 AM
You should definitely consult your doctor. Salt can really affect and damage your body because it raises the amount of sodium in your bloodstream, which can interfere with your kidneys. The result of that is a higher blood pressure because of the extra fluid and strain on the blood vessels leading to the kidneys. Over time, it can cause kidney disease. Or, as you've mentioned, the raised blood pressure can cause damage to arteries leading to the heart (or the brain).
Do you experience sharp pains in your chest when being active? Be sure to let your doctor know if you are experiencing this...they'll probably ask after you tell them about the amount of salt you've been eating.

Not all the time, but occasionally I do and it's a very sharp pain but it fades, do you think this could be serious now?

ObliviousCat
October 14th, 2015, 02:11 AM
Not all the time, but occasionally I do and it's a very sharp pain but it fades, do you think this could be serious now?

I'm not sure since I'm, unfortunately, not a doctor (yet). But eating high amounts of salt can lead to one thing which can then lead to another. The raised blood pressure (due to eating too much salt) may cause a slight reduction in the amount of blood reaching the heart, which may lead to angina. Angina is chest pain, usually goes away quickly, but can be a symptom of heart disease. There are different types of angina, though. If you mention the sharp chest pains, your doctor will probably ask when they occur (during exercise, at rest, etc.).

But, again, I'm not a doctor, just some teenage medical geek sitting in front of a computer. You should definitely consult a professional, and don't take me too seriously. I'm just giving you the general facts, not trying to diagnose you or anything, so don't assume you have this or overly worry.

Nathan32
October 14th, 2015, 02:46 AM
I'm not sure since I'm, unfortunately, not a doctor (yet). But eating high amounts of salt can lead to one thing which can then lead to another. The raised blood pressure (due to eating too much salt) may cause a slight reduction in the amount of blood reaching the heart, which may lead to angina. Angina is chest pain, usually goes away quickly, but can be a symptom of heart disease. There are different types of angina, though. If you mention the sharp chest pains, your doctor will probably ask when they occur (during exercise, at rest, etc.).

But, again, I'm not a doctor, just some teenage medical geek sitting in front of a computer. You should definitely consult a professional, and don't take me too seriously. I'm just giving you the general facts, not trying to diagnose you or anything, so don't assume you have this or overly worry.

Yeah I know you aren't I mean I knew most of that already, but i'm stubborn and don't really trust my own instincts or opinions, and the heart pains come at different times, sometimes after lifting something heavy, never really cardio exercise and sometimes after a meal or when im just tryna sleep, and thats another thing is my sleeping patterns are terrible and often I dont sleep for 2 or so days and I have tried to fix it but I can't, I feel really tired alot of the time aswell like no energy, I mean i'm not overweight and my diet is all healthy apart from the salt thing, could it really effect my health that much? I mean I guess I have been doing it for years now I dont wanna make a big deal out of something silly

ObliviousCat
October 14th, 2015, 03:25 AM
the heart pains come at different times, sometimes after lifting something heavy, never really cardio exercise and sometimes after a meal or when im just tryna sleep

It's a rare type, but variant angina might happen at night during/while trying to sleep and at rest.

and thats another thing is my sleeping patterns are terrible and often I dont sleep for 2 or so days and I have tried to fix it but I can't, I feel really tired alot of the time aswell like no energy, I mean i'm not overweight and my diet is all healthy apart from the salt thing

Have you been experiencing a lot of stress lately?

could it really effect my health that much? I mean I guess I have been doing it for years now I dont wanna make a big deal out of something silly

Yes, it could really affect and damage your health that much, especially if you've been doing this for years. You describe the amount of salt you've been eating as massive. I strongly recommend you talk to a doctor about this. This could be serious while it also might not be. But you're better off safe than sorry, right?

Nathan32
October 14th, 2015, 03:33 AM
It's a rare type, but variant angina might happen at night during/while trying to sleep and at rest.

Have you been experiencing a lot of stress lately?

Yes, it could really affect and damage your health that much, especially if you've been doing this for years. You describe the amount of salt you've been eating as massive. I strongly recommend you talk to a doctor about this. This could be serious while it also might not be. But you're better off safe than sorry, right?

yeah alot of stress, ive been depressed for the longest time, a few years ago I was suicidal and my parents were going to look into anti-depressants but I "got" better, and on top of that I dropped out of school and have to get a job soon and im really worried yknow, and yeah it's not like table spoons full of salt, but it is alot of salt, but idk without it I just idk do you reckon it could be withdrawals if I don't eat any? I really don't wanna look into this but I wanna start strength training and I know for a fact you should be in prime health before you attempt it, even right now I can feel a little ache, but i'm kinda anxious now

ObliviousCat
October 14th, 2015, 04:09 AM
yeah alot of stress, ive been depressed for the longest time, a few years ago I was suicidal and my parents were going to look into anti-depressants but I "got" better, and on top of that I dropped out of school and have to get a job soon and im really worried yknow, and yeah it's not like table spoons full of salt, but it is alot of salt, but idk without it I just idk do you reckon it could be withdrawals if I don't eat any? I really don't wanna look into this but I wanna start strength training and I know for a fact you should be in prime health before you attempt it, even right now I can feel a little ache, but i'm kinda anxious now

I know how that (depression and anxiety) feels..it's not an easy thing to deal with. When it comes to addictions, whether it be to alcohol or eating toilet paper (that's a real addiction someone had), there's always a risk of withdrawing and the temptation to relapse. I don't think you're addicted to it, though, and if you aren't, you won't experience it if you stop eating so much of it.
Remember, you don't have to stop eating salt all together. You just need to cut down on it.

Why don't you want to look into this?

Nathan32
October 14th, 2015, 04:13 AM
I know how that (depression and anxiety) feels..it's not an easy thing to deal with. When it comes to addictions, whether it be to alcohol or eating toilet paper (that's a real addiction someone had), there's always a risk of withdrawing and the temptation to relapse. I don't think you're addicted to it, though, and if you aren't, you won't experience it if you stop eating so much of it.
Remember, you don't have to stop eating salt all together. You just need to cut down on it.

Why don't you want to look into this?

I just dont want to like look into it and have it turn into be just being paranoid yknow? my dad had a heart attack this year and the doctor said that it was a mixture of diet smoking and stress and I mean I just I dont wanna look silly yknow?

ObliviousCat
October 14th, 2015, 04:29 AM
I just dont want to like look into it and have it turn into be just being paranoid yknow? my dad had a heart attack this year and the doctor said that it was a mixture of diet smoking and stress and I mean I just I dont wanna look silly yknow?

Most doctors are passionate about their jobs and what they do. Their job will vary depending on the kind of medicine they practice (e.g. psychiatric, orthodontics, etc.), but in general it's to help their patients with any problems they may have. Another job of theirs is to answer any questions and address any concerns their patient(s) may have.

A while ago, I was experiencing heart palpitations that weren't going away. My mom ended up calling the ER for them to come to my apartment and check on me. They hauled up a stretcher just in case. When they got there, however, the palpitations pretty much stopped. I felt horrible, like I had wasted their precious time and like I was just being silly. They weren't upset, though. My mom talked me through it a bit because I told her how horrible I was feeling (and disappointed that there wasn't anything wrong with me). She explained that that's what they signed up for, that's their job, and that's what they love to do and it wasn't a waste of their time.
I didn't really listen to her at first, but now that I think back on it, I realize that she's more than likely right. Usually, when someone pursues a career like that, they have a passion for it. I was better off safe than sorry, I guess.

I know that when I become a doctor, I'll absolutely love when my patients ask me questions. That probably sounds stupid, but I have a strong passion for medicine. If you were my patient, told me about this, I ran some tests and found out there wasn't anything wrong, I wouldn't think you were being silly. I would think you were being responsible and looking out for yourself...which is what most doctors want their patients to do. I would feel horrible and wonder where I went wrong in connecting with my patients if something bad were to happen to you (such as a heart attack) because you didn't feel comfortable talking to me about concerns and symptoms you were having.
If your doctor finds you silly for bringing it up, well, s/he probably isn't a very good doctor..

Nathan32
October 14th, 2015, 04:41 AM
Most doctors are passionate about their jobs and what they do. Their job will vary depending on the kind of medicine they practice (e.g. psychiatric, orthodontics, etc.), but in general it's to help their patients with any problems they may have. Another job of theirs is to answer any questions and address any concerns their patient(s) may have.

A while ago, I was experiencing heart palpitations that weren't going away. My mom ended up calling the ER for them to come to my apartment and check on me. They hauled up a stretcher just in case. When they got there, however, the palpitations pretty much stopped. I felt horrible, like I had wasted their precious time and like I was just being silly. They weren't upset, though. My mom talked me through it a bit because I told her how horrible I was feeling (and disappointed that there wasn't anything wrong with me). She explained that that's what they signed up for, that's their job, and that's what they love to do and it wasn't a waste of their time.
I didn't really listen to her at first, but now that I think back on it, I realize that she's more than likely right. Usually, when someone pursues a career like that, they have a passion for it. I was better off safe than sorry, I guess.

I know that when I become a doctor, I'll absolutely love when my patients ask me questions. That probably sounds stupid, but I have a strong passion for medicine. If you were my patient, told me about this, I ran some tests and found out there wasn't anything wrong, I wouldn't think you were being silly. I would think you were being responsible and looking out for yourself...which is what most doctors want their patients to do. I would feel horrible and wonder where I went wrong in connecting with my patients if something bad were to happen to you (such as a heart attack) because you didn't feel comfortable talking to me about concerns and symptoms you were having.
If your doctor finds you silly for bringing it up, well, s/he probably isn't a very good doctor..

not with doctors but with family, idk it's hard to say stuffs just getting harder for me im just getting more and more stressed and with this ontop of it its too much yknow, I dont want to die from a heart attack but I know if I bought this up my parents would over react id go to the doctor nothing would be wrong and it would have been a waste of time I cant handle the stress anymore every time I wake up I feel fatigued and I feel that way all day til I fall asleep and Im tired of being up at night alone because of insomnia I really don't like self diagnosing or even talking about stuff like this, it doesn't really match the "image" I made for myself

ObliviousCat
October 14th, 2015, 04:56 AM
not with doctors but with family, idk it's hard to say stuffs just getting harder for me im just getting more and more stressed and with this ontop of it its too much yknow, I dont want to die from a heart attack but I know if I bought this up my parents would over react id go to the doctor nothing would be wrong and it would have been a waste of time I cant handle the stress anymore every time I wake up I feel fatigued and I feel that way all day til I fall asleep and Im tired of being up at night alone because of insomnia I really don't like self diagnosing or even talking about stuff like this, it doesn't really match the "image" I made for myself

Have you tried expressing to them how stressed you are and asking them to not overreact?

Nathan32
October 14th, 2015, 05:32 AM
Have you tried expressing to them how stressed you are and asking them to not overreact?

that's too awkward, idk i guess I will just leave it I mean if it just ends up being angina its whatever, but I mean i'm just so tired of this yknow?

ObliviousCat
October 14th, 2015, 07:30 PM
that's too awkward, idk i guess I will just leave it I mean if it just ends up being angina its whatever, but I mean i'm just so tired of this yknow?

Angina (chest pain) can be a symptom of heart disease, so it isn't whatever. :/

Nathan32
October 15th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Angina (chest pain) can be a symptom of heart disease, so it isn't whatever. :/

Yeah I know but we dont know for sure that its anything, I have been ok for the last few days its only every so often that I get the sharp pains, tbh id be more worried about my constant stretching and being so fatigued

ObliviousCat
October 15th, 2015, 11:19 PM
Yeah I know but we dont know for sure that its anything, I have been ok for the last few days its only every so often that I get the sharp pains, tbh id be more worried about my constant stretching and being so fatigued

Constant stretching?

Nathan32
October 16th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Constant stretching?

you know how like when you wake up, you like do a morning stretch? well I constantly do it all the time and apparently I shouldnt have to

ObliviousCat
October 17th, 2015, 10:19 PM
you know how like when you wake up, you like do a morning stretch? well I constantly do it all the time and apparently I shouldnt have to

Is it an automatic thing or are you voluntarily doing it?

Nathan32
October 18th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Is it an automatic thing or are you voluntarily doing it?

idrk I just do it all the time, usually like 5 times an hour atleast, I don't just decide "I'm gonna stretch" I just do it

ObliviousCat
October 20th, 2015, 01:07 AM
idrk I just do it all the time, usually like 5 times an hour atleast, I don't just decide "I'm gonna stretch" I just do it

You probably shouldn't need to stretch that much, but I don't think constant stretching will do much harm. Apparently, stretching weakens the muscles, but other sources say it's therapeutic. I don't know much about it in all honesty.

Nathan32
October 20th, 2015, 01:32 PM
You probably shouldn't need to stretch that much, but I don't think constant stretching will do much harm. Apparently, stretching weakens the muscles, but other sources say it's therapeutic. I don't know much about it in all honesty.

yeah that's ok, recently I have been doing all right, but alot of sleeping, like ALOT of sleeping and im always feeling tired, the other day I went to bed at 2am woke up at 8pm went back to sleep at 11pm and woke up at 2am then the next day I slept for 14 hours

ObliviousCat
October 21st, 2015, 12:04 AM
yeah that's ok, recently I have been doing all right, but alot of sleeping, like ALOT of sleeping and im always feeling tired, the other day I went to bed at 2am woke up at 8pm went back to sleep at 11pm and woke up at 2am then the next day I slept for 14 hours

That's okay. Some people require more or less sleep than others, and you said you've been experiencing insomnia (not sleeping for 2 days, etc.) Because of that it's normal for you to require more sleep - your body needs rest so it's making an effort to get you back on track.